edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
This is what it would look like.

96_1.jpg

96_3.jpg

Apologies if this has been done before.

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    That second one is hideous. Presumably if Alfa Romeo built bikes, they'd also break down a lot.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
  • BigMat wrote:
    That second one is hideous. Presumably if Alfa Romeo built bikes, they'd also break down a lot.

The gap between the top tube and headset is shear genius.
  • BigMat wrote:
    . Presumably if Alfa Romeo built bikes, they'd also break down a lot.

Spot the man who hasn't had many (any?) Alfas (from the man that's driven almost nothing else in the last 25 years).

Love the Competizione. They're a few years old now though I think they can still be bought.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bigmat
    In my ignorance I based my comments on statistical evidence rather than direct experience - sorry!

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/2

The cars do at least look pretty.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    BigMat wrote:
    In my ignorance I based my comments on statistical evidence rather than direct experience - sorry!

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/2

The cars do at least look pretty.

I've owned one (GT coupe), they are more than pretty, brilliant to drive, somewhat tempremental especially electrically, but you can forgive the latter given the former. It used to put a smile on my face every morning

Everyman should own at least one in their life.

Girls shouldn't bother, by a golf instead.:D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bigmat
    Fair enough, I was just messing - not really into cars beyond being a form of getting from a to b when the bike isn't viable, hence I value a car that will always get me from a to be over something that is "brilliant to drive". I should give one a go some time though, might change my mind...
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Second bike is still fugly though :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A friend had a late model 164 a few years back, it spend 195days in the dealership in the first year.

That second one is gross.....suspect like most car manufacurers bikes they are mix and match parts from a well known bike brand.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    My mate bought a pre-owned GTV Cup. Stunning looks and blisteringly quick. The clutch broke a couple of months later though.
  • A friend had a late model 164 a few years back, it spend 195days in the dealership in the first year.

That second one is gross.....suspect like most car manufacurers bikes they are mix and match parts from a well known bike brand.

Simon

The 164 I owned was in my ownership and that of people I know for over 100,000 miles - in that time it needed an oil pressure switch - £17.00. The E Class Merc I owned needed new wings at 5 years old as they had rusted through. As did my parents' car, as did a friend's. Tell me about any car and I will tell you a horror story - even the Japanese can't get it right. Few manufacturers, however, have designed cars that look as good as Alfas and are such a great place to be.

If you're the kind of guy that eats only for nourishment and has sex just to make babies, then an Alfa is not for you. Life is far too short for dull but reliable cars.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I love the first bike. Second one not so much, it's hideous.
    Regarding Alfa's when mine broke down due to a crank sensor people said "what do you expect it's Italian?" After I'd explained exactly the same Bosch part was fitted to VWs Audis and BMWs amongst others the usual answer was that it was because it was fitted by Italians.
    No amount of sense will beat inbuilt prejudice and a bit of old fashioned bigotry. Wether it be cars, bikes or people that are being discussed.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    If you're the kind of guy that eats only for nourishment and has sex just to make babies, then an Alfa is not for you. Life is far too short for dull but reliable cars.
    Put that sentence through the Mad-Menifier and you get the new Alfa Romeo billboards:
    Justtomakebabies.jpg
    Fartooshort.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Owned:
    156 2.0 Veloce
    GTV Lusso 2.0 (uprated to 220HP)
    GTV Lusso 3.2 Cup
    156 Sportwagon 2.5 V6

Not once have I had an Alfa Romeo break down - plenty of parts have fallen off and things have broken. But never has an Alfa actually broken down on me. Note to older 156 owners - over 90mph on the motorway often results in the loss of a wing mirror.

E320 CDI Mercedes - Spent most of it's early life at the dealer before being swapped for a Alfa.

As for the bikes - I think Ferraris did a tie in with Colnago or Bianchi?! In fact, I think Alfa may have tied in with Bianchi too....at some point?

Would like to see what Dacia, Tata and Hyundai have to offer in terms of bikes.....
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Beautiful cars, hideous bicycles.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Note to older 156 owners - over 90mph on the motorway often results in the loss of a wing mirror.
    Ooo-errr. Took my 11 year old Sportwagon to Tuscany this summer for the family holiday. Driving back through Germany I told my son we were on an unrestricted stretch of autobahn. He told me to go for it. Got up to an indicated 125mph for a bit. Not bad considering we were 4 up with luggage. I was quite glad when I came up to slower traffic after a bit, I was thrashing it a bit more than I like to.
    2,500 miles in 2 weeks, never missed a beat. Beautiful roads over there, only got held up by hire cars and those pesky cyclists.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    edited December 2011
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Note to older 156 owners - over 90mph on the motorway often results in the loss of a wing mirror.

Could be worse, the early FIAT Coupe test cars used to lose their bonnets at speeds over 120mph (on the A1 between Milan and Bologne) :shock:

Alfas certainly aren't the best built cars out there. My advice is always buy one with as few electronic bells and whistles as possible. But they rarely breakdown beside the road. The engines are some of the best production engines ever built including the glorious Busso V6. Frankly, I don't really care about their bicycles in the same way I don't care about Alfa-branded pens, ashtrays and wine bottle stoppers - this is what it's all about:

6130563585_8462418de4.jpg
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Alfas rock

If all you want is a reliable car, then you end up with a Toyota Auris, which is as dull as sh17 and drives about as well

Would love one myself, neighbours' daughter has a lovely GT in red with tan leather...mmmmmmmmmmm

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SimonAH
    SecretSam wrote:
    Alfas rock

If all you want is a reliable car, then you end up with a Toyota Auris, which is as dull as sh17 and drives about as well

Would love one myself, neighbours' daughter has a lovely GT in red with tan leather...mmmmmmmmmmm

Is that a euphamism?

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,947
    Personally, I think you need one reliable, boring, dull, turn key estate car, and one interesting good to drive car, preferably a convertible :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • SimonAH
    Aha! A little eBay browsing and it turns out that Jaguar build bikes too! (although they are apparently rare).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-jaguar-r ... 256aa5bc17

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Beautiful cars, hideous bicycles.
    +1. The road bike is no looker, but that hybrid (if that is what it is) is comically bad.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    gtvlusso wrote:
    As for the bikes - I think Ferraris did a tie in with Colnago or Bianchi?! In fact, I think Alfa may have tied in with Bianchi too....at some point?.....
    Colnago are tied in with Ferrari for developing/testing carbon frames & components.
    In return Ferrari get some branded bikes and probably some cash too.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Well, as a car manufacturer you either invest in an oil company or a good bicycle manufacturer.