Return to fitness after injury / illness

LightningTony
LightningTony Posts: 26
edited December 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Hi Guys
I am a coach and have all sorts of qualifications from the Open University, dozens of books, and hundreds of websites saved to my favourites, so I am embarrassed in having to ask this but with all that info and knowledge at my fingertips I'm b*ggered if I can find what I am looking for!!!

My quest is on to find the most reliable information on recovery time after injury. Please do not take this the wrong way, I am not really looking for anecdotal information, rather sport scientist style information backed up by research. As a starter to prompt what I am looking for; I remember reading something along the lines of " you need 1.5 to 2 weeks rehab for each week lost" and the rate at which you should return to intensity and duration that you had before the layoff something in the order of 2% per week lost? So if you had a month off you should take 6 - 8 weeks to get back and drop to 92% of previous intensity and duration, building up gradually as you go forward. Anyway, as I say this is from memory and could be miles out, but it gives a flavour of what I am looking for. Meanwhile if I find my original source I will be happy to share it with you.

Well, if any of you have this info I'd love to hear from you. Come to think of it the anecdotal stuff would be fascinating too, but if you can quote sources that would really help me. Thanks guys and gals!
"I do the research so you don't have to!"
www.tonyharveytraining.com

Comments

• timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    You know Tony it will kind of make a difference depending on the injury and intensity of that injury. Random generic stats are not going to be relevant for every recovery program. Have you had any more joy in your research so far? Are you working with a physio or other professional at the moment?
    Whatever the injury I hope it's a fast recovery for you anyway.
    Many happy trails!