Evans............fail!

flasher
flasher Posts: 1,734
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
Just picked up the Mrs a nice new bike for Xmas, ordered it over the internet for in store pick-up, got a call from the workshop to tell me everything was in order..................yeah right, I've been in the garage sorting the bike out to make it roadworthy, indexing all over the place, probably because all the cables were slack, headset loose, handle bar tape wonky (ok thats aesthetic but still), honestly this is basic stuff, just as well I can use an allen key.

Still they offered me a free first service :roll:

Comments

• I have to say I've only had excellent service from Evans - even delivered on a sunday.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • stratcat
    stratcat Posts: 160
    No worse than many other shops.

I bought a bike for my wife, the shop had fitted the rack with bolts so long that had she put the bike into top gear the chain would have hit the section of bolt sticking out and probably locked the wheel. It took me most of the rest of the day fixing the niggly little bits that hadn't been put on right or were out of kilter. It could have been very messy if the wife had just gone out for a ride without me checking it out first.

I always check everything thoroughly now before a bike turns a wheel on the road, just in case something isn't right.

It wasn't wiggle, but I'll blame them anyway :mrgreen:
  • I have to say I've only had excellent service from Evans - even delivered on a sunday.
    I agree with this, other than the Sunday delivery simply because my stuff always came on other days.

I bought my Fuji from Evans, they took it back after 28 days because I wasn't happy with the frame size, no charge, no hassle, no extra cost. I'd raced up a good few hundred miles on the bike I got and they were fine with it.

Everything else has arrived pretty fast and they offer price matching, which always made me happy.

Sorry you have had a bad experience with them, but in general they do strive to get it right first time, and if not will try and make it up too you. If you are not happy with their offer of a free service, ask for something else maybe, their customer support is supposed to be rated rather highly if you tell them what you want. After all, no customer support team are qualified mind readers. =]
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I blame Dave Hinde
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Flasher wrote:
    Just picked up the Mrs a nice new bike for Xmas, ordered it over the internet for in store pick-up, got a call from the workshop to tell me everything was in order..................yeah right, I've been in the garage sorting the bike out to make it roadworthy, indexing all over the place, probably because all the cables were slack, headset loose, handle bar tape wonky (ok thats aesthetic but still), honestly this is basic stuff, just as well I can use an allen key.

Have you told them about this?
  • flasher
    Rigga wrote:
    Flasher wrote:

Why would I bother, I can work on the bike myself and get it right, I just wonder exactly what the workshop/mechanics do..................

It worries me that first time bike buyers may think that a bike is ok, but in reality it could be dangerously/wrongly assembled!
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Flasher wrote:
    Why would I bother, I can work on the bike myself and get it right, I just wonder exactly what the workshop/mechanics do..................

It worries me that first time bike buyers may think that a bike is ok, but in reality it could be dangerously/wrongly assembled!
    2 reasons to bother - after all you just need to send an email complaint these days, it doesn't even cost you a stamp.

1) Because they might realise that the mechanic they used is cr@p and sack (or train) him so that the next customer (a possible newbie) doesn't die on the road because they didn't tighten something

2) Because they might offer you a voucher to buy something, you might not want to use their workshop again but if they give you a voucher .... more goodies :D

It's worth an email complaint in my opinion, after all you were upset enough to publicly dis them on here.
  • What Gizmondo said, they need to know if there are problems!
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    The fail is you posting before giving Evans an opportunity to resolve any issues for the reasons patiently explained above.

I find Evans very keen to resolve issues whether or not they have an obligation to do so.

You should buy all of your gear from Wiggle, and leave Evans to people who appreciate good service.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Flasher wrote:
    Rigga wrote:
    Flasher wrote:

If you're that worried that first time buyers may be riding a dangerously/wrongly assembled bike, then perhaps you should mention it to Evans, so that they can address the issue and ensure it doesn't happen again.

Or is this just an excuse to moan on here ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Flasher wrote:

I don't mean to have a go but why did you accept it?
    You collected it in store so you could have given it the once over before leaving.
    I've ordered a bike from them and intend to collect it from my nearest (25 miles away) store for this very reason.
    Well that and hiding it from mrs zippy. :wink:
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • flasher
    siamon wrote:
    The fail is you posting before giving Evans an opportunity to resolve any issues for the reasons patiently explained above.

Why should I waste my time going back and forward to Evans to sort something I can do in 20 mins, it's real basic stuff, my time is more valuable.
    siamon wrote:
    I find Evans very keen to resolve issues whether or not they have an obligation to do so.

So you too have had issues with Evans perhaps you'd like to share, or do you just work for them?
    zippypablo wrote:
    I don't mean to have a go but why did you accept it?
    You collected it in store so you could have given it the once over before leaving.
    I've ordered a bike from them and intend to collect it from my nearest (25 miles away) store for this very reason.
    Well that and hiding it from mrs zippy. :wink:

You're absolutely right I should have checked it over in store, I assumed it would be OK, very foolish of me!