Full sus or hardtail

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Pudseyp wrote:
    if your riding at least twice a week every week then a HT is a great option, if your a weekend warrior who can only ride on a saturday then a FS is probably the best option.

Why do you say that?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    I am sorry I didn't realise you rode in the Surrey Hills

i thought it was common knowledge i ride with my fat investment banker friends on their elsworths and drive my big posh audi to the trail head.... :P

i personally would not be with out either, imo i rate both my hardtail and my f/s bikes they all have there purpose..
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    bails87 wrote:
    Pudseyp wrote:
    if your riding at least twice a week every week then a HT is a great option, if your a weekend warrior who can only ride on a saturday then a FS is probably the best option.

Why do you say that?

Bails it is my opinion (I reiterate my opinion) yes HT's build skills and can make you a very accomplished rider, to me when I ride I want to have a huge grin on my face at the end of the ride...if riding a HT once a week down technical decents you have to pick your lines better so if not an accomplished rider then perhaps you will ride wiith more caution and may not enjoy it as much on a full suss were the bike is doing more of the work.

It depends on what the OP wants....to build skills which will take a bit of time and at the end may make him a better rider then the HT is the better option...if he wants fun blasting around a trail centre with mates then a FS may better...again IMO.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Pudseyp wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Pudseyp wrote:

Why do you say that?

Bails it is my opinion (I reiterate my opinion)
    :) Don't worry, I wasn't 'having a go', I just hadn't heard that view before, I thought the reason for it would be what you've just written, but wanted to be sure.

I do most of my miles commuting, so only get out on the MTB probably every other weekend, and I do fine on my HT. Who knows how much more supergnarcore I'd be on a FS though....

OP: either is fine. As you can see, personal preference plays a big part, as well as your ability and the type of riding you'll be doing. For a given budget, a FS will probably be worse specced and heavier than an equally expensive HT.

One thing to remeber is that you'll probably be more capable on a bike if you buy a £1k HT and a £50 skills course than if you buy a £1500 FS and just try to plough through everything.

Edit: Pudsey, as you rightly say, most of us do this for enjoyment (we're not roadies!) so that's probably the main thing to think about. I know from my local riding that when the trails are boring, they become less enjoyable, does a big FS have that effect? I don't know, again it depends on you and the riding you're doing.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • delcol
    One thing to remeber is that you'll probably be more capable on a bike if you buy a £1k HT and a £50 skills course than if you buy a £1500 FS and just try to plough through everything.

best statement in the thread....
    could not agree more.
  • If you're torn between full suss and hardtail, consider a 29er hardtail, good compromise between comfort, weight and traction with all of the reliability and easy maintenance of any other hardtail and most of the speed of a full suss. get a steel or titanium frame for maximum comfort, some scandium and carbon frames can be comfy too whilst having a bit more pedalling and steering stiffness.
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • My budget is £1600, but like I've said it's the bushings and shock I get fed up of and to be honest you need at least £3000 to get a top full sus bike with bearings instead of bushings.
    I am from old school and I was quick on a hard tail.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My £1k GT ID5 was all bearings. Pain in the arse as those huge pivots used regular cartridge bearings same as you get in headsets and kept getting dirt in the housing which makes it creak, and have to strip the thing down frequently. Though the bearings themselves held up fine.

Aside from the creaking and weight of the thing, was a damn fine bike and hell of a good value for the money considering the kit it came with.
  • naffa
    naffa Posts: 126
    How on earth did we ever manage to enjoy our riding before f/s? :roll:
    Cheers Nathan.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My budget is £1600, but like I've said it's the bushings and shock I get fed up of and to be honest you need at least £3000 to get a top full sus bike with bearings instead of bushings.
    Rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    My budget is £1600, but like I've said it's the bushings and shock I get fed up of and to be honest you need at least £3000 to get a top full sus bike with bearings instead of bushings.

complete crap!!

my full suss cost me £900 (ok i got it in the sale) i've had it 3 years and have only changed the bearings in the rear end once and my bike is lucky if it gets a wash!!!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I've been riding FS for over two years, always had sub 2k bikes and all full cartridge bearings. Never had an issue, 6 month regrease intervals. Job takes an hour max.

mtfu
  • delcol
    naffa wrote:
    How on earth did we ever manage to enjoy our riding before f/s? :roll:

same way i do evry time i ride my hardtail.. you dont suspension to enjoy riding,, my road bike cough cough does not have suspension and i enjoy riding that,,,
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Pudseyp wrote:
    if he wants fun blasting around a trail centre with mates then a FS may better...again IMO.
    I really don't get this/comments like this.I've not yet come across a Trail centre that warrants a FS,where are these super Gnar places.I can rule out North Wales/N.England and the 7Stanes(3 that I've ridden).
    I always feel over-biked at TC's on a FS.I would say the opposite!
    Each to their own though.
  • Pudseyp
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Pudseyp wrote:
    if he wants fun blasting around a trail centre with mates then a FS may better...again IMO.
    I really don't get this/comments like this.I've not yet come across a Trail centre that warrants a FS,where are these super Gnar places.I can rule out North Wales/N.England and the 7Stanes(3 that I've ridden).
    I always feel over-biked at TC's on a FS.I would say the opposite!
    Each to their own though.

What do you mean you don't get it FFS.......every trail centre I ride probably 80% or even more are FS bikes...they are more popular for a reason..its statements that go against fact that I don't get.
  • delcol
    so 80% of the riders at trail centres are over biked then.. :wink::wink: :roll:

who gives one at the end of the day it's down to personal choice and what you can afford. if you like pudsey can afford a top end fullsusser, and enjoy riding it then go out and have fun,,

if you are a peasant like me and have a hardtail and enjoy riding it then good just get out and ride....

it's what makes us individuals.....
  • sniper68
    Pudseyp wrote:

What do you mean you don't get it FFS.......every trail centre I ride probably 80% or even more are FS bikes...they are more popular for a reason..its statements that go against fact that I don't get.
    Yes and it a sweet FA to do with trailcentres.
    They're more popular due to magazines telling everyone they need at least 150mm all round...and you don't.Even on the natural stuff 90% of the time a HT is enough.More comfy on a bouncer but more fun on a HT.
    WHERE exactly do you need a FS.
    Wharncliffe woods?Maybe on the DHs but otherwise..No.
    Whinlatter?No
    Grizedale NF ?No
    Gisburn?No
    Dalby?NOOOOOO
    Sherwood Pines? NOOOOO
    Kirroughtree?No
    Dalbeattie?No
    Ae?No
    Marin?No
    Penmachno?No
    CYB?No
    Can't think of any others I've ridden but generally it's a no.FS have their pro's&cons as do HT's but don't use something as simple to blast around as your average TC or the fact that they're perceived to be more popular as an arguement for FS.
  • Pudseyp
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Pudseyp wrote:

Yes and it a sweet FA to do with trailcentres.
    They're more popular due to magazines telling everyone they need at least 150mm all round...and you don't.Even on the natural stuff 90% of the time a HT is enough.More comfy on a bouncer but more fun on a HT.
    WHERE exactly do you need a FS.
    Wharncliffe woods?Maybe on the DHs but otherwise..No.
    Whinlatter?No
    Grizedale NF ?No
    Gisburn?No
    Dalby?NOOOOOO
    Sherwood Pines? NOOOOO
    Kirroughtree?No
    Dalbeattie?No
    Ae?No
    Marin?No
    Penmachno?No
    CYB?No
    Can't think of any others I've ridden but generally it's a no.FS have their pro's&cons as do HT's but don't use something as simple to blast around as your average TC or the fact that they're perceived to be more popular as an arguement for FS.

Next you will be saying the world is flat.....I and people in general buy things they want...so if your saying the 80% plus are wrong then your obviously deranged.
    The likes of the 7Stanes, CYB, Penmachno, Betws-y-coed, Gisburn warrant a full suss....hence like I say over 80% are.

You are obvioulsy the Jose Mourinho of the MTB world.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nothing 'warrants' a full suss. All trails can be ridden on a HT or an FS. Some prefer HT, some prefer FS. Some like both! The majority of bikes I see on the trails are 3-500 quid hardtails by a long way.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I really don't see the argument, it's like arguing over whether you "need" salt or pepper on your food, there's no benefit to either over the other, except for you might like one better than the other!
  • delcol
    I really don't see the argument, it's like arguing over whether you "need" salt or pepper on your food, there's no benefit to either over the other, except for you might like one better than the other!
    yeah ther is salt is bad for you and can cause heart disease... pepper doesnt, it just makes you sneeze if it goes up your nose.... :roll: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    well said though...

i dont think any trailcentres warrent a f/s bike.. as said above it's all down to choice..
  • sniper68
    Pudseyp wrote:

]Next you will be saying the world is flat.....I and people in general buy things they want...so if your saying the 80% plus are wrong then your obviously deranged.
    The likes of the 7Stanes, CYB, Penmachno, Betws-y-coed, Gisburn warrant a full suss....hence like I say over 80% are.
    Not at all.
    If you read my earlier post I have been riding a FS for 8 years and only recently got a HT aswell and it opened my eyes.
    As for 80% of riders riding FS so they must be right well that's just people for you.Just because you reckon 80% of TC riders ride a FS doesn't mean they're right and the 20% of others aren't.
    XR3i were popular in the 80s...didn't mean they were good :wink:
    Jose Mourinho?Don't know what you mean.It's starting to look like I'm arguing with a 10 year old :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't need a hot supermodel girlfriend.
    But I'd rather have one of those than Sheep's mum.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Pudseyp
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Pudseyp wrote:

]Next you will be saying the world is flat.....I and people in general buy things they want...so if your saying the 80% plus are wrong then your obviously deranged.
    Not at all.
    If you read my earlier post I have been riding a FS for 8 years and only recently got a HT aswell and it opened my eyes.
    As for 80% of riders riding FS so they must be right well that's just people for you.Just because you reckon 80% of TC riders ride a FS doesn't mean they're right and the 20% of others aren't.
    XR3i were popular in the 80s...didn't mean they were good :wink:
    Jose Mourinho?Don't know what you mean.It's starting to look like I'm arguing with a 10 year old :roll:

I also have both, and haven't stated that a trail centre cannot be ridden on a HT...all I was trying to say at the likes of llandegla and the rest of the NW trail centres and also the likes of Glentress and Inners the majority is FS and the minority is HT which must account for a high percentage of trail centre riders wanting to ride FS...

The Op's question was FS or HT and as the majority I see at trail centres are FS then the majority is the majority.
  • delcol
    cooldad wrote:

they all the same in the dark...
  • Pudseyp
    delcol wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

they all the same in the dark...

No....one smells worse than the other.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You can ride where you like on what you like. How you ride it is where the bike makes a difference. You can still compensate for it with skills of course, but even Danny Hart rides a full sus when going hard core nuts downhill ;)

Anyway, ride those trail centres on both types of bikes and then come back. Hard tail will do it fine. If you're not going faster and taking more risks when you ride the full sus, then yeah maybe the hard tail only is for you (and a basket on the front for going to the shops).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I ride an HT, on our local rides with the club I have an easier time than most the FSers, at a trail cantre like Cannock I'm a little slower downhill, but again uphills I tend to embarress them somewhat, clearly how good (or bad) a rider I am (not that good I'll admit) and how fit they are plays a part, as I also commute by bike I think that contributes to my uphill 'edge'.

Over certain surfaces FS has a clear edge, and it's not the roughest trails where I find they have the biggest advantage but the level fast but rough trails where we're getting towards the top of the middle ring in gearing but frankly the bumps are hurting my ass!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I ride hardtails, not much I want to do that I can't do on them, obviously there are points where a FS lets you ride a line a hardtail would disagree with but you just have to be able to handle them. Took one of them downhilling at Cwmcarn yesterday, a few people were asking if I was mad, and how tiring it was and while I may have had to work slightly harder than them at times on their big bouncy bikes it dealt with everything fine and kept pace. I love the XC hardtail too, it's a blast and again I've never felt it's been out of it's depth too much, sure you have to choose a more sensible line than other riders at some times but that's half the fun.

Having said that I'll be getting my own full suss eventually, but having ridden quite a few I'm in no massive hurry, sure it makes things easier and I might go a bit faster, but still I can happily wait a couple of years. To be honest I quite enjoy riding the hardtails and can't see my riding suffering for it. Might as well make the most of being young and get the FS when I'm not so bouncy and flexible myself.