best way to do the Marmotte alone

spinach
spinach Posts: 3
Hi, I want to do the Marmotte this year and am looking for an easy (and hopefully reasonably priced) way to do it on my own. Has anyone got any suggestions or recommendations for operators?

Thanks

Comments

• Buy an entry
    Book a chalet or cheap hotel
    Book a flight (grenoble, geneva or lyon)
    Get to Alpe d'huez or Bourg d'oisans
    Ride Marmotte
    Come home

Obviously variations around that dependent on what you want to pay but it is a simple event to get to and manage independently.
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    Buy an entry
    Obviously variations around that dependent on what you want to pay but it is a simple event to get to and manage independently.

Except that it is sold out, unfortunately!
  • Try phoning tour operators but I'd just book flights / accom and pick up a cancellation from someone nearer the date or failing that, ride on the sunday.
  • At the beginning of the month it would have been a lot easier but individual entry has now sold out so you'll need to buy a package through a tour operator, or else entry only through them at a mark up

Having said that there does appear to be a recession on and so you never know, there may be bargains to be had if someone decides to offload the places they block booked, I did the Etape in 2011 and a significant number of entries magically appeared a couple of weeks before due to a company (allegedly) having money problems

Over and above that stay in a tent, fly a budget airline and take the bus to the resort

Cash wise Im looking at entry only approx 60 quid IIRC, flights 150 return, 4 nights accommodation @ 200 EU total and a half share in a Clio for transfers at 100 pounds each

Cheers
  • Thanks everyone - looks like I'll have to get in earlier next year, but I'll also keep an eye out for drop outs later on for this year