My Fixed Gear Will Kill Me...

gmb
gmb Posts: 456
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
I took delivery of my On One Pompino yesterday (I'll post photos tomorrow in the Your Rode Bikes Section) which I'll be using as a Winter trainer/commuter. I've fitted Shimano SPD SL pedals which I also have on my "best" bike.

I'm finding riding fixed with clipless a bit harrowing at the moment to be honest and I'm after some advice about the best way to stop. (seriously!)

When riding freewheel I usually unclip before a junction ect., freewheel up to it and stop if required pushing up with my right leg to get out of the saddle while the right pedal is in the 6 O'Clock position (hope this makes sense).

However with fixed the right leg continues to make circles!!!! I know I should have expected this and watching me trying to stop this afternoon gave my wife a good 10 seconds of merriment (more than in the last 10 years of marriage BTW). SO, any advice on the best way to stop?

PS starting's not so easy either....
Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Stopping is just the same as on gears - except you don't freewheel til you stop.
    Just unclip shortly before you have to.

Starting off again you may need to lift the rear wheel and rotate the crank until your right pedal until its in the 2pm setting off position.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    cougie wrote:
    Starting off again you may need to lift the rear wheel and rotate the crank until your right pedal until its in the 2pm setting off position.

Yep. Grab front brake, lean on the bars and the rear wheel will lift. Then rotate the cranks to the starting position. You'll be doing this without thinking about it in a week or so.

Stopping is no big deal - don't overthink it.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    a. i'm sure the pompino comes with both front and back brakes. i suggest you use these to stop. unclip much later - you have far more control at low speed on a fixed wheel

b. give it a few days, it will be as natural as riding a bike.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Learn to anticipate stops and start slowing beforehand and try and roll-though rather than halting / unclipping. Road furniture, signposts, barriers, ride buddies also make life easier by leaning against them and not unclipping.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I have to admit I'm in the same position but rather than fighting the cars, weather and dark/rain/black ice etc as well as having to re-learn how to ride a bike, I'm flipping it back until the weather gets better and there is a bit of my brain able to focus on the whole fixed wheel thing - :oops:
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    safer fixed than free when it's dicey. but also safer on the turbo.
  • My turbo won't get me to work so it's the bike, but if you let me know why it's safer fixed then I'll keep trying on the grounds of health and safety....
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Given the difficulties in stopping as described, which seems pointlessly risky, and the possibility of long term knee problems arising from using one etc etc I'd think anyone on a fixed wheel bike is mental.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Given the difficulties in stopping as described, which seems pointlessly risky, and the possibility of long term knee problems arising from using one etc etc I'd think anyone on a fixed wheel bike is mental.

It's not harder to stop, just slightly different. (Assuming you're using a brake!)

Unless you ride like an idiot fixed shouldn't be significantly harder on your knees.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Fixed is great - if you know what you're doing.

If people are struggling to clip in and out, then fixed is a complication too far.

I love my fixed wheel.
  • Monty Dog
    Legs for going, brakes for stopping - there's no problems with riding fixed it just requires a bit of adaptation and learning. There's a 'zen' feeling that you can get from riding fixed that you simply don't get with riding gears IME.
  • gmb
    Thanks for the advice.

I did my second commute on the Pompino yesterday and it felt much better than the previous day. I'm still trying to work out the optimum point to stand up out of the saddle and put my left foot down - but I'm definitely getting there.

I'm really enjoying the feeling of fixed once I'm on the go. I'm running 48 X 20 so I can spin at a fast cadence. There are a few hills around here although nothing major so I think my knees should be okay.

I'm going to try to post some pics in the Your Road Bikes section today.

Thanks again.

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    How's it going now?

I started riding fixed a year ago now - and it was similar to yourself, terrifying! I had my first clipless moment in 20 years on about my third ride into town on fixed.

Now, it feels odd jumping onto a geared bike!

As others have said, it's all just different rather than harder. Anticipation and reading the road become more vital.

I am a total convert and really want to start trying some bigger distances fixed this year rather than just commuting fixed.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    No problem with bigger distances. My first ride on fixed (other than a few trips to Manchester) was 60 miles. I felt fine. I don't ride it as often as I should, only 300 miles last year. Seldom forget I am on it and try to freewheel but will keep trying to hold back when on the gears bike and nothing happens. Usually followed by frantic reaching for brakes. icon_lol.gif
  • Monty Dog
    My first 100-miler on fixed is usually a pretty good indication of how my winter training is going...if I die like a dog, then I can expect a good kicking in the first races.
  • gmb
    marcusjb wrote:
    How's it going now?

I started riding fixed a year ago now - and it was similar to yourself, terrifying! I had my first clipless moment in 20 years on about my third ride into town on fixed.

Now, it feels odd jumping onto a geared bike!

As others have said, it's all just different rather than harder. Anticipation and reading the road become more vital.

I am a total convert and really want to start trying some bigger distances fixed this year rather than just commuting fixed.

It's going much better now!

I would say I'm still wary of having to stop quickly at junctions and approach them much more slowly than on my regular road bike.

I've quickly gotten used to not being able to freewheel and it makes for a very good workout over a much shorter distance (happy to do this in the bad weather).

A pic is now on my signature of the pomp....