Christmas Playlist

cornerblock
cornerblock Posts: 3,228
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
Now I know most Christmas songs are sh*t, but there are a few that are listenable, Fairytale Of New York for example. So seeing as I am already bored with last years compilation I was wondering what are your favourites. I completely understand if you have none and would rather have hot pokers stuck in your ears, it's just that as the family are coming to ours I think I would rather listen to Winter Wonderland by Etta James than Mariah Carey strangling a cat.

So what songs do it for you at Christmas time?

Comments

• we've always played a jim reeves xmas lp (yes proper vinyl kids - ask your great grand parents) - class. Senor Santa Claus FTW.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    The Wombles - Wombling Merry Christmas
    Christmas Blues (Alternate Take) - Canned Heat
    Christmas Wrapping - The Waitresses
    Run Rudolph Run - Chuck Berry
    Walking In The Air
    Jingle Bell Rock

I often listen to these,I can't think of any more at the mo.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I can't get "Christmas Wrapping" by "The Waitresses" out of my head. Also the new Buble Christmas album isn't bad.

But then I have just drunk a bottle of red wine and moved on to JD and coke.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    John Denver-`Please Daddy dont get drunk this Christmas`-kids just love playing that every year.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    "I Believe in Father Christmas" Greg Lake
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Driving Home For Christmas - Chris Rea.

You are quite correct, it is a whole universe away from trendy but Christmas is the whole opposite to trendy.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Tim Minchin "White wine in the sun" is pretty good
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • Brenda Lee - Rockin around the xmas tree
    Eartha Kitt - Santa baby
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Phil Spector's Christmas Album
  • Santa-clause is coming to town - Bruce Springsteen, worth a listen, big Clarence sining 'you better be good for goodness sake' in the lowest voice ever recorded is quite funny!

And Coldplay - Christmas lights is alright too.
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    I always like to start the Christmas songs off with 'The Little Boy that Santa Claus Forgot'. There are lots of versions but my own playlist has the Nat King Cole. We move on to some of the obvious stuff but also in there is the whole of the Dylan album Christmas in the Heart. Until you've heard Bob croak his way through Silent Night and Hark The Herald Angels Christmas hasn't started in my view. Then for a bluesier feel, Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis (I think that's the title) by Tom Waits. There's a great version on YouTube. The album version drops the Silent Night intro.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I love this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=644U-jMpDUw the new 'Fairytales of New York' for me.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • It wasn't meant to be an Xmas song but Frankie Goes To Hollywood's 'The Power of Love' is the one that does it for me. A Trevor Horn masterpiece...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqf9Oywh ... ure=fvwrel
  • I prefer the Corey Taylor xmas song myself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BqvtUmfb6U
  • random man wrote:
    Phil Spector's Christmas Album

I'm sure I used to have that on Vinyl, is it the one with songs by the Ronettes on it?

It was sh1t.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Yeah but - Darlene Love - Christmas, Baby Please Come Home - classic!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I love December Will be Magic Again by Kate Bush. Cos it reminds me of being a kid.

That Smith and Burrows video reminded me of Mulligan and O'Hare.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • "Just like Christmas" by Low does it for me,though I like to cook Christmas dinner with traditional carols,a santa hat and mulled wine-Christmas spirit turned up to the max 8)