supafly1982 Posts: 631
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
1.5 or tapered prefered, U-turn also considered, maxle type axle

what would you go for? and why?

I will be looking to get some to fit to a Ragley Blue pig

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Rev for trail riding, Lyrik for harder stuff.
  • yeah it will be harder stuff, i had a Lyrik in mind or Fox 36
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    DT Swiss XMM 140......
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    delcol wrote:
    bos deville....

+1 I've read some favorable reviews, 2 years between servicing, they would definitely be on my shortlist!
  • delcol wrote:
    bos deville....

never heard of these, will take a look into them :)

ooft...price tag, no ta :lol:
  • delcol wrote:
    bos deville....

never heard of these, will take a look into them :)

ooft...price tag, no ta :lol:

In that case, you want the Lyric then... no point in buying the lower end Fox's as they're plop!

What do you mean by "harder stuff"? My blackbox rev on the Meta went down Cwmcarn DH pretty well, although I was rolling most of the jumps and avoiding the bigger drops.
  • Pudseyp
    Sorry....am I missing something ? the OP wanted suggestions for a 140mm fork....the Lyrick is 160 or 170mm so may not be compatible with the frame (piggy 130 t0 150)

I would deffo look at the DT, longer service intervals of both Fox and RS and a fantastic alround trail fork...can't fault mine in anyway.
  • Lyric can be set to 140mm using internal spacers!
  • Pudseyp
    Lyric can be set to 140mm using internal spacers!

If you can be arsed....why not just by a 140mm travel fork, as you will have the extra weight penalty.
  • supersonic
    Because it is stiffer and stronger. Isn't always about travel.
  • Pudseyp
    supersonic wrote:
    Because it is stiffer and stronger. Isn't always about travel.

SS...I understand if it was being fitted to a long travel FR bike but to fit to a blue pig it just doesn't make sense to me..like I said would rather have a decent 140 like a XMM or even a pair Fox Van's
  • supersonic
    Which is why I said Revs for one style of riding, Lyriks for another ;-) The Blue Pig is a very sturdy frame that can take a lot of abuse, so depends what the rider wants to do. Also depends on their weight.
  • Pudseyp
    supersonic wrote:
    Which is why I said Revs for one style of riding, Lyriks for another ;-) The Blue Pig is a very sturdy frame that can take a lot of abuse, so depends what the rider wants to do. Also depends on their weight.

Are you then suggesting the OP is a bit of a lardy ? icon_wink.gif
  • yes im a fat b4$t4rd all 12.5 stone of me lol,

The U-turn Lyriks offer travel from 115mm - 160mm which is ideal as it more than covers what the Pig can comfortably use

Now i just have to find a good set, unsure what to do though as the frame has turned up, its a 2010 frame and does not have the same headtube as 2011 :/
  • I should add that i intend to decend Munro's such as Ben Lomond, most people use 160mm full sus, but gently picking away at first im sure i could do it on the Blue pig, other rides are extreme XC along cliff tops and rocky land, jump and drops that im doing are not huge, say 3 feet at most but thats maily due to lack of looking for some to try, so heres hoping i can up the height a good bit more, i would like to take it to the shredder at Ae forrest too

My fork choice is looking like this in decending order- all secondhand

Lyrik U-turn 115-160mm , motion control
    U-turn Pike dual air or Revelations - which would be the better fork for the job out of these 2?
    Can you get a fox 36 in 140mm?
    fox 32 140mm
  • Pudseyp
    I should add that i intend to decend Munro's such as Ben Lomond, most people use 160mm full sus, but gently picking away at first im sure i could do it on the Blue pig, other rides are extreme XC along cliff tops and rocky land, jump and drops that im doing are not huge, say 3 feet at most but thats maily due to lack of looking for some to try, so heres hoping i can up the height a good bit more, i would like to take it to the shredder at Ae forrest too

My fork choice is looking like this in decending order- all secondhand

Lyrik U-turn 115-160mm , motion control
    U-turn Pike dual air or Revelations - which would be the better fork for the job out of these 2?
    Can you get a fox 36 in 140mm?
    fox 32 140mm

You can get both Float and Vanila in 140mm..for your riding I would have teh Van's over Float.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Pikes. Still some new ones if you look around.
    Floats & vans need too much maintenance & the anodising on the stanchions wears too quickly.
  • 12.5 st aint heavy you cheeky fecker :lol::lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If your budget allows you to get a recent or blackbox revelation, go for that- Pikes are tough but overrated, fairly basic damping and even the air one is pretty lardy. I'm not sure if all motion control revelations now have the dual-flow rebound damper but that's what you want. Pikes are stiffer than Revs but damping's more important.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    If your budget allows you to get a recent or blackbox revelation, go for that- Pikes are tough but overrated, fairly basic damping and even the air one is pretty lardy. I'm not sure if all motion control revelations now have the dual-flow rebound damper but that's what you want. Pikes are stiffer than Revs but damping's more important.

i see, ive got dual air pikes on my marin, they aint too shabby, certainly take the knocks well enough, dual flow rebound, thats for the start small bump stroke which is adjustable and the factory set big knock setting is it not? im sure i read that somewhere, might be mixing it up with something else :!:

ive got my eye on a set of lyrik U-turn RC2L coil jobbies, what are they like?
  • max888
    max888 Posts: 206
    Cannondale Lefty MAX! :twisted:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    i see, ive got dual air pikes on my marin, they aint too shabby, certainly take the knocks well enough, dual flow rebound, thats for the start small bump stroke which is adjustable and the factory set big knock setting is it not?

Nah, it's all in the rebound circuit... Older motion control (like my old Revelations, which had the same damping as your Pikes) are great for the first lump but do you ever find them getting a bit out of shape on long rock gardens etc? They changed the rebound damper so that it doesn't get choked up like it used to, the difference is pretty big in harder use (and, well, if you're not riding hard then why Pikes ;) )

Nowt wrong with the old ones mind- I ran a set of Blackbox Revelation Teams on one bike and a set of old 426s on another for a long time- but it was very noticable which was which.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • aye sometimes the pikes dont know what to be up to but i oput that down to me charging through stuff without grace lol, they have been great so far...the main thing is the lyriks are not for what im doing just now but what i intend to be doing in 6 months time ;)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Was it in stock before you ordered and you got the last set?
  • nope so will have to wait on them :/
  • 12.5 st aint heavy you cheeky fecker :lol::lol:

but he is only 3' 2"........ :lol:
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • 3'3" actually :P
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    I have a Fox 32 Float RLC with Kashima coating on one bike and a Rock Shox Revelation RLT Ti on my other.

Overall I prefer the feel of the Fox but it took me a lot longer to get it set up how I like, the rock shox was a lot easier to get set up but doesnt feel quite as smooth as the Fox.

To sum up, for overall feel I would go with the Fox, for quick set up and forget I would go with the Rock Shox.