Retirement Bike

Jay dubbleU
Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Well - the time has come - end of Jan next year my commuting days will be over so now I have to make a big decision - what bike to I buy in order to enjoy my retirement ? I am looking for something to do a little light touring and regular club rides - preferably steel frame, triple.
I have the Duster which is my current commuter and which I intend to become my CX bike - we're moving to within 10 miles of Dalby so it would be rude not to.
Bike Friday will be used for touring abroad - we're planning Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia for next year

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Vintage steel tourer? eg 80s Galaxy or suchlike? Still easy to service, MTB hubs fit so no probs getting nice wheels if you need them and they are just nice!

Or a new version - eg Bob Jackson bespoke. Or do the Dave Yates framebuilding course and make it yourself!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Jay dubbleU
    There's a thought - I'm not used to time not being a problem- might give the Dave Yates option a try.

Other options I've looked - Planet X Kaffenbach, Genesis Day One Alfine 11, Thorn Club Tour
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I envy you fella, but i am lucky i have a job i love and i live in the most beautiful place - can't wait for my day but alas it's not gonna be a retirement bike for me :wink:

brrrmmm brrrmmm
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Rolf F wrote:
    Vintage steel tourer? eg 80s Galaxy or suchlike? Still easy to service, MTB hubs fit so no probs getting nice wheels if you need them and they are just nice!

Or a new version - eg Bob Jackson bespoke. Or do the Dave Yates framebuilding course and make it yourself!

This. Do this. Anything else would just be buying another bike.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    +1 for the framebuilding course. How special would that be?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Jay dubbleU
    + 1 to framebuilding course

Now anyone know who does a wheelbuilding course ?
  • davis
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Getting to retirement age...?

Got some cash to splurge...?

Has to be a Cervelo.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    As an alternative to Dave Yates (although he is very highly recommended), you could have a look at The Bicycle Academy

http://www.thebicycleacademy.org/
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    Hmmm, been mulling doing the Dave Yates course for a couple of years. And now me mentioning has inspired me to drop Dave a line :D
  • Jay dubbleU

Has to be a Cervelo.

There's a Pinarello Prince of Spain in my LBS but I'd never dare ride it - be like Jonny Vegas riding a National winner
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528

Has to be a Cervelo.

There's a Pinarello Prince of Spain in my LBS but I'd never dare ride it - be like Jonny Vegas riding a National winner

Except the Vegas image would be slightly prettier :wink:
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Monkeypump wrote:

Has to be a Cervelo.

Except the Vegas image would be slightly prettier :wink:

Oops - that sounds rather insulting! Meant "...than the Pinarello"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Alas Dave Yates courses fully booked for the foeseeable.

However...........

Genesis are now making a Day One with 11 speed Alfine hub and Reynolds 725 frame............... very tempting
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643

However...........

Genesis are now making a Day One with 11 speed Alfine hub and Reynolds 725 frame............... very tempting

Thats probably a good thing isn't it. People like Dave Yates / Bob Jackson etc build up a reputation for frame building from many years experience. With the best will in the world going on a course, albeit with a "master" isn't going to turn you into a world beater overnight. BIG risk you end up with a crappy hand built frame having spent lot of money.

Why not just get them to build you the frame.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rolf_f
    t4tomo wrote:
    With the best will in the world going on a course, albeit with a "master" isn't going to turn you into a world beater overnight. BIG risk you end up with a crappy hand built frame having spent lot of money.

Why not just get them to build you the frame.

A bit of an insult to Dave there. Maybe you should do some research about it? I can't see any negative comments on the web about the course (which doesn't profess to turn you into a world beater frame builder overnight - but Dave is there to make sure you produce a good frame).

You have a week to produce something that Dave could probably do in a morning. That's the difference - time, not quality. Anyone can make something great given enough time.
  • davis

However...........

I'd have thought a decent derailleur set up would be better for your needs. I've got an Alfine-11 bike, and I'm not massively inspired by the shifting of the Versa 11 shifters. I don't think there's a massive hide-the-gears-away-for-reliability problem that you need to overcome, nor do you particularly need discs.

Plus, the Genesis Day One has a straight fork. Yuck.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Thanks for that - didn't realise there were issues with the Versa shifters - finding the perfect bike isn't easy - I can't justify an all out race bike, nor would I want one but looking at tourers they all seem a bit ponderous - maybe I should be looking at something like the Kaffenback or the Salsa Casseroll
  • davis
    Saying they've got "issues" is probably a little unfair. My main bike is running older Shimano 105, and though I'm a bit over-careful with the cabling, I simply think the shifting of the 105 bike is crisper.
    I'm deeply fond of steel now, mainly because of the sheer joy in descending... In your position I'd be going for a steel framed light-duty tourer. They really can be sprightly. Perhaps a touring Enigma: http://www.enigmabikes.com/bike-list.html :twisted: