Xmas Day Wines?

Stone Glider
Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Not many for 'the day' so we are having a large chicken. My granddaughter would really like 'milk shake pudding' (aka Yorkshire Pudding) with a roast dinner, so lots of heavy eating. Not the conventional ground for a white wine, unless it is a Greek 'Domestos' to scrub the palate clean. I do have some Californian Zinfandel 'Blush' wine which might fit the bill :?

The idea of Beaujolais with Turkey seems quite fashionable this year. ITB need not point out that his menage will be on Krug from dawn to dusk, we know :roll: Other observations would be welcome.
The older I get the faster I was

Comments

• Less conventional, but I quite like a South African Chenin Blanc with white meat. Majestic have some good deals on this one from Boschendal. I recently bought a case and it goes great with a roast chicken so imagine it will work with turkey too...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Am thinking some NZ Sav Blanc or a Sancerre, and some Chilean red, maybe a Carmenere. Need to pop to Majestic today, actually.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Whatever I can find under the sink with a skull & crossbones on it.
    Graham.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I'm hoping the boss will have raided her husbands wine rack again :D
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Sancerre for me.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    A decent Chablis or Pouilly Fumé to go with white meat for me, but no Xmas lunch would be complete without a good dessert wine to go with the Christmas pud. When visiting family who really like their wine I've been treated to Chateau d'Yquem which is absolute nectar!
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Observations welcome?
    OK; I'll offer my usual matches:
    Gravdlax with chilled vodka or aquavit.
    Turkey with a light Burgundy. Instead of Beaujolais, try a chilled bottle of Tarrango Aussie light red?
    Chrimbo pud with either Asti Spumante or Moscato d'Asti. Both are low alcohol, sweet-ish sparklers and help counter the rich stodginess of the pudding.
    Cheese with both a port for stilton and a sweet Jurançon for the soft cheeses. Help bring your alcohol content back up to snuff.
    Coffee with cider brandy (sep. glass)
    Then sofa with a 2 hour doze - job done!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    tonicbottles.jpeg

What can possibly go wrong ?
    Misguided Idealist
  • Thanks folks, I am tempted with the idea of cider brandy. I believe that Santa has a bottle of high quality Armagnac in his sack for me, courtesy of my Australian daughter :) Does anyone else enjoy Tawny Port? On the subject of unfashionable drinks, I opened a bottle of Paolo Cortado Sherry last night. Mrs S G is not a fan of high-end sherries but I love 'em. They are so cheap for the complexity and delight in a bottle. Onwards and downwards!
  • DrLex
    Paolo Cortado? Isn't he Man.City's new signing from Benfica?

Agreed; there are great bargains to be had from sherry; the prevalence of decent half-bottles is a real bonus. Try some PX on vanilla ice-cream
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Champagne to start

NZ Pinot Noir with the Turkey.

Single Malt for later.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Given I'm going to the in-laws I'm guessing something along the lines of....

Champagne to start with.
    A Sancerre / Chablis or a Macon Villages
    A 2005 Saint-Emillion or a 2005 Haut Medoc
    Sauternes
    Tawny Port

Whatever we have it's going to be better than anything I've got in my garage.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Not many for 'the day' so we are having a large chicken. My granddaughter would really like 'milk shake pudding' (aka Yorkshire Pudding) with a roast dinner, so lots of heavy eating. Not the conventional ground for a white wine, unless it is a Greek 'Domestos' to scrub the palate clean.
    Sounds ideal for a robust white, like Sancerre or Chablis. A good steely white will cut through all that meat quite nicely, and chicken is too delicate for most reds.
  • My daughter has awarded me a 'Harrods' Chablis from her works 'Secret Santa', so I might avail myself of the offer.
  • Wellll... we kicked off with a nice 1999 Pol Roger, then moved onto Laurent Perrier NV. A 2006 Domaine Moray Coffinet Chassagne Montrachet En Remilly with lunch, followed by a 2000 Ch Cantenac Brown. Rounded off with a few glasses of Fonseca 2000 and Ch Suduiraut 1997.

@Asprilla: your in-laws do it right!

<burp>
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • That was a memorable Xmas day for the usual, bad, reasons. Daughter not well, Granddaughter worse and ailing as the day wore on. Ended up drinking most of a bottle of Zinfandel Blush, which at a 10% alcohol content left me ready for any emergency transport duties if required. As the night and calm descended, a large glass of Minervois was truly 'for medicinal purposes only'. Happy New Year.

I even missed having the last glass of Palo Cortado before dinner, poor old Paolo, his signing for Manchester City has not turned out well.
  • DrLex
    Sorry to read of your Christnas, SP; hope that you have a better NYE.
    I think the Moscato that we drank was 8%; much below this and I think it can no longer be called wine, but something attractive like "fermented grape must".

If only Man. City could sign Pedro Ximinez...
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Disappointingly we were requested to bring a bottle of wine to Xmas lunch at the in-laws so I took a decent CdP and then all that was served up was cheapo Rioja - WITH TURKEY!
  • Just drank the Chablis that my daughter awarded us. Entirely quaffable, following the last appearance of good old Paolo for this year and preceding a cheap but cheerful, Napoleon Brandy. (The good stuff is in waiting.) Have recovered taste buds and appetite today; here's to NYE!

@C C The problem in England, it is even worse in Wales, is that; while you can learn about wine, if you make the effort, knowing is an entirely different thing.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Greg66 wrote:
    Wellll... we kicked off with a nice 1999 Pol Roger, then moved onto Laurent Perrier NV. A 2006 Domaine Moray Coffinet Chassagne Montrachet En Remilly with lunch, followed by a 2000 Ch Cantenac Brown. Rounded off with a few glasses of Fonseca 2000 and Ch Suduiraut 1997.

@Asprilla: your in-laws do it right!

<burp>

Yes they do.

I was wrong on the red though, turns out it was 1996 Cote Du Rhone; Hermitage.

Lovely it was too.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Had a mainly spanish theme

La Gitana Manzanilla whilst prepping the pork (MiL was notionally the host and only likes piggy)
    Some Nicholas Feulliatte 2004 with nibbles
    Emillio Moro 2007 Ribera Del Duoro for those on red and Prestige Parcels 2010 Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc (for the ladies)
    Finished off with some desert wine (name escapes me) & Cognac

Ahh, a grand day out!
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo