Trouble on the Trail

cavehill
cavehill Posts: 126
edited December 2011 in Your pics and vids
Absolute nightmare yesterday. Two trails done we got to a really nice wee DH section. I got a branch caught up in the chain and it ripped the mech off snapping the hanger and a spoke. :| I tied the mech to the frame and free wheeled to the next road section. Here I took the mech and chain off and free wheeled the last DH bit. 8)

As there was a fire road back to the car I shortened the chain and converted to a single speed to get me home. :lol:

Video here:
http://vimeo.com/33827312

Broken%2BHanger%2B2.jpg

391798_10150473607780419_671140418_8762127_1491778824_n.jpg

Comments

• proper unlucky that 1 matey.

at least you didnt have to worry about getting a puncture with your tubeless tyres!!!

nice improvisation aswell with the single speed, bet that was hard going.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • cavehill
    It was handy enough to do. I just didnt want to do it on the DH section. As the suspension and SS set up counter acts eachother. In other words the suspension doesnt work against the chain. It was fine for the fire roads back to the car. If I had hit a jump or compressed the suspension it would have snapped the chain or worse.

This Tubeless set up is working Brilliant tho. Grippy as hell with a low pressure set up.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i had to remove my chain earlier this year when my brand new build butchers (sramx9 carbon 10sp) mech just exploded.
    i was almost at the top of the climb (around 6-8mile into the ride) when my mech just fell to bits.. i didnt catch it or anything it was a faulty mech...
    so i had to go chainless down the singletrack, then took the double track back to the village (was in whistler)
    i found i rode better and smoother without my chain knowing i could not pedal i was thinking more about my lines and braking.. i was suprised how much more speed i retained going chainless....
  • i dropped my chain once at the top of the penultimate downhill at the monkey trail over cannock. and really didnt want to stop to put it back on, so i just kept going.

i agree with what you have said delcol, it makes you pick quicker smoother lines to try and keep all the speed you have managed to accumulate. didnt like the feeling of having no resistance through the pedals though.
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • cavehill wrote:
    It was handy enough to do. I just didnt want to do it on the DH section. As the suspension and SS set up counter acts eachother. In other words the suspension doesnt work against the chain. It was fine for the fire roads back to the car. If I had hit a jump or compressed the suspension it would have snapped the chain or worse.

This Tubeless set up is working Brilliant tho. Grippy as hell with a low pressure set up.

oh yeah i understand. the rear mech works with the suspension travel then. how you finding the general performance of the High Rollers?

they a bit energy sapping when riding uphill?
    Clank wrote:
  • cavehill
    Aye they are a big difference than the 2.1 xc Summer tyres. Overall tho they are worth it. Grippy as hell! Will keep them on for winter just.