No salt on roads yet!

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
Haven't seen any salt/grit on the roads yet. I live west of Stonehenge, Wiltshire and again we've had freezing rain so no go on the bike til a lot later. Is this part of the government cut backs? Dangerous policy for us bike riders.

-Jerry
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• They've been gritting around here.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    They've definitely been gritting here, so much so it lulled us into a false sense of security. Roads were wet and temp at +1 when we went out. But then we turned right onto a very minor road across Cannock Chase - Prawny went down, nothing serious, but a nice long slide. We had to walk back to the main road and even that was tough because it was sheet ice.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    They have been gritting around here all week , unfortunately i have been off the bike and work since Wednesday with a real stinker of a cold that had dragged on for 3 weeks that i did not help by still cycling so i ended up with an infection.
    I am digging my winter hack out now for commuting untill the weather clears up.

As for cutbacks in the OP according to the news they have 25 % more grit than last year .......
    FCN 3/5/9
  • jerry3571
    edited December 2011
    Must be wiltshire/somerset and dorset councils as I have not seen any salt at all. Lots of car crashes in the area also. Maybe you guys have had the big snow up there but down here it's like the Council has sold all the Gritters (sure they haven't). Did about 35 miles today and still no salt/grit and it was lethal in the morning!

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    They've been gritting here.

Rained early last night, so washing away the salt, and then froze. Bit dodgy first thing this morning.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Gritters out in the North West tonight.
  • Havn't seen any grit in Leicester yet, but come to think of it, havn't seen any ice either.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    They've been gritting round here for nearly two weeks now.
  • Northampton use the special grit with molasses which bind the salt to the road for longer. Sadly, the residue makes the roads very slippery above freezing and filthy dirty. Not a pleasing prospect this winter. I'm off to order a turbo.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I'm sure I'd already posted on here... must have whacked my head
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jerry3571
    I think the council has gone into the realms of scientific advance and maybe using this new Molasses stuff. There seems to be no grit but the roads are magically unfrozen. It's like "Tomorrow World" today!! ;)

I can almost hear the old Star Trek music in my head as I think about it. :)

-Jerry

-Jacques Anquetil
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    They've been gritting round here for nearly two weeks now.
    They grit right through the summer round here :-)
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Fell off twice already this year on ice, bike is feck'n white with salt! :cry:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,603
    Despite (or because of) Devon having the most extensive road network in the country (8,000 miles), it has a superb gritting policy ... and I say this despite having been made redundant twice by DCC. Anyway, no-one can complain that they don't know what the policy is:
    http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/transport ... itting.htm

... and not only that, they didn't run out of salt last winter, when many other authorities did. Perhaps if you're not happy with your local authority's plan, you might show them DCC's.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The gritter's been going down our road nearly every night recently. Bugger has gritted me twice when I've been cycling the other way. Car is white with salt, and so would the bike be if I didn't clean it.

Nice mild pre-christmas spell now though.
  • jerry3571
    Does Devon need road salt anyway?? :wink:

english_riviera_poster.jpg

-Jerry

-Jacques Anquetil