DH1 dead already?

Muttly1981
Muttly1981 Posts: 815
edited December 2011 in MTB general
http://www.vitalmtb.com/news/news/Break ... =spotlight

It's certainly looking that way with Redbull ready to broadcast the UCI world cups, is this good or bad for the sport as a whole?
What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?

Comments

• Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    It can't be a bad thing can it, I know most don't agree with the UCI way of doing things; but as long as it's good coverage and it's free then I don't see a problem.

I saw a quote on pinkbike from the chap behind DH1; he summed it up by saying that if the redbul coverage is good then DH1 did it's job, which I think is fair enough really.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Torres wrote:
    It can't be a bad thing can it, I know most don't agree with the UCI way of doing things; but as long as it's good coverage and it's free then I don't see a problem.

I saw a quote on pinkbike from the chap behind DH1; he summed it up by saying that if the redbul coverage is good then DH1 did it's job, which I think is fair enough really.

Personally i think it's a strange situation to be in atm with Redbull the sport could explode big time which can only be a good thing, but (i may sound elitest/judgemental here) what kind of new fans would it attract? I went to NASS fest near Bristol 2 years back to back, the first was fun then Relentless became a big player in the energy drinks market and the second year was full of Adidas/Nike clad chavs. I've always seen downhill as a bit of a rebelious sport the same as snowboarding, skating etc but it seems when Redbull get involved in a sport they give it this clean cut image that seem to attract arseholes galore :?
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Muttly1981 wrote:
    Torres wrote:

Personally i think it's a strange situation to be in atm with Redbull the sport could explode big time which can only be a good thing, but (i may sound elitest/judgemental here) what kind of new fans would it attract? I went to NASS fest near Bristol 2 years back to back, the first was fun then Relentless became a big player in the energy drinks market and the second year was full of Adidas/Nike clad chavs. I've always seen downhill as a bit of a rebelious sport the same as snowboarding, skating etc but it seems when Redbull get involved in a sport they give it this clean cut image that seem to attract arseholes galore :?

That happens when any sport gets alot of coverage, doesn't matter if from RedBull or not. I guarantee if squash got large scale coverage, chavs would be there just as much. It just comes witha sport being more popular, more people means more weirdos, naturally.
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    hope Warner and Page still get a seat in the box.
    wont be the same without them