Boris Bus

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Because London is the only city that matters.

I quite like the look of the new 'Boris Bus' can't help feeling that it brings back something distinctly London that has been missing - the city has part of it's identity back.

What are you're thoughts? Is this bus a win for BoJo or is it as Labour have said "a vanity achievement" [paraphrase].

http://www.londonlovesbusiness.com/news ... 91.article
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    Built in Northern Ireland.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    The bastard, he said on BBC London that like the old Route Master "It was designed in London, made for London and built somewhere else in the Country" He conceded that the old Route master was built in London.

I regret making that other thread now.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Drove past it in Trafalgar Square this afternoon. Much nicer looking that the present double deckers.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    People will be livid when, as I suspect, the back door will be firmly shut when the bus is between stops.

It a bus with three enrance/exit doors, just like a bendy.

If the back door is held open between stops It'll be interesting to see what a bus based PSCO does in the situation of somebody trying to get on whilst the bus is moving, as doing this is illegal:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/26

It'll also be "interesting" as a cyclist having to again deal with peds flying off the back of moving vehicles, arms windmilling as they find their balancing mechanisms have to deal with 5 or 10mph of undesired forward momentum...
  • DonDaddyD
    The three exit/entrance wasn't the issue t'was the bending on bendy buses

In the news article Boris talked up the fact that people can hope on/hope off between stops... its going to be interesting when they go into full service but i think they'll work.
    Food Chain number = 4

• prj45 wrote:
    People will be livid when, as I suspect, the back door will be firmly shut when the bus is between stops.

It a bus with three enrance/exit doors, just like a bendy.

If the back door is held open between stops It'll be interesting to see what a bus based PSCO does in the situation of somebody trying to get on whilst the bus is moving, as doing this is illegal:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/26

It'll also be "interesting" as a cyclist having to again deal with peds flying off the back of moving vehicles, arms windmilling as they find their balancing mechanisms have to deal with 5 or 10mph of undesired forward momentum...

It's only illegal while it's in motion... And I know you live in London so you'll know that doesn't happen so often on buses! I suspect that on the fast sections the doors will be closed, but, say, on Oxford St it will stay open.
  • And they're only open with the 'conductor' on board. But unlike the Routemasters, this conductor doesn't appear to be selling/checking tickets. So his sole job presumably is to stand at the open platform and discourage people from jumping off at stupid times...

Brings back memories though - I used to catch a no8 Routemaster home sometimes... but where I lived was between two of what felt like the furthest apart stops in London, so I used to wait til the bus slowed for a certain corner and jump from the platform and make my walk home much shorter.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Built in Northern Ireland.

As I may have mentioned elsewhere, when I was home the other week I saw one being driven through downtown Ballymena ! I felt a slight sense of displacement...
    Misguided Idealist
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    I suspect that the times when the rear door is open will be few and far between as it means employing an extra member of staff for the bus. Maybe only peak times?
    I quite liked the old routemaster buses. I remember jumping off one once as a teenager and nearly hitting a lamp-post. I had a friend running to get on one as it was pulling away, he had one hand on the post and one foot hopping along faster and faster, as the conductor watched, until he fell and scraped half his face away on the tarmac. The bus carried on and left him in the road. When he next went got on the bus with his scabby face the conductor had a go at him.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    so I used to wait til the bus slowed for a certain corner and jump from the platform and make my walk home much shorter.

I hope you checked out for cyclists behind you! On the routemasters most didn't; only looking resolutely forward before they performed their leap of faith.

Of course if the conductor was on the platform they would stop you doing this anyway as you weren't allowed to ride on it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    W1 - recon the routmaster will make it easier for the homeless to fare-dodge? ;)