electronic book reader

2»

Comments

• Ouija wrote:
    ...The rest are books i wouldn't of bought anyways. So again, the author didn't lose out on any money, since i had no intention of ever buying those books...
    Hi Ouija. Im interested in getting a Kindle but not sure I should take the plunge. Would you recommend that I steal one from Currys to try it out first?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    jim453 wrote:
    Also, for an individual who has read 'thousands and thousands' of books, your use of English is awful. 'Have' and 'of' do not mean the same thing and are not interchangeable.

Jim speak da troot.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ah but having red loadsa books doesnt meen you automatically spell well - people often write as they speak - and so they should if it suits them - it's their life and as long as they make themselves understood - who cares.

Anyway - question for ouija - does calibre convert pdf's (it doesnt what formats it converts on the vid on the website). I'm seriously temptid to get a kindle for xmas if it does, ta.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    My kindle also lets me browse the web anywhere, for free...

Great for football games on the BBC - you can keep the running log page open on a Saturday whilst on a beach in wherever...

And, it has access to free subs to newspapers, so you can peruse the news each day via 3G while lying on the beach in wherever...

And, it fires invisible lasers that allow you to see through birds' cossies whilst lying on the beach in wherever...

It has nice buttons to fiddle with, as well.

Some of the above is true.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Ah but having red loadsa books doesnt meen you automatically spell well - people often write as they speak - and so they should if it suits them - it's their life and as long as they make themselves understood - who cares.

Anyway - question for ouija - does calibre convert pdf's (it doesnt what formats it converts on the vid on the website). I'm seriously temptid to get a kindle for xmas if it does, ta.

Utter garbage.

The ability to communicate is just one of the things that sets us apart from animals. In some very easy to imagine situations communication needs to be concise, accurate and unambiguous. Allowing people to use whatever collection of syllables they like as long as they can make themselves broadly understood is the thin end of a very backward thinking wedge. Why should we dumb down our language (spoken and written) just because some lazy moron can't be bothered to learn a few simple rules.

I accept that language evolves but we are engaged in some kind of messed up race to the bottom in every other area of our society, does how we actually speak and write really have to be next?
  • "The ability to communicate is just one of the things that sets us apart from animals" - Thats not the case, all creatures communicate in one way or another - I guess you mean the use of language is what sets us apart - in which case your unambiguous use of it, in that instance, contained an obvious ambiguity. I'm sure you're aware that even Shakespeare had difficulty in consistently adopting a spelling for his name- and if the greatest poet and explorer of the human heart in the english language finds it ok, then I for one will go along with it. Grammar is ultimately the structure through which meaning is imparted, language is forever changing, as thankfully, we too forge ahead as manifestations of abeautiful nature.

Anyway, moving on is the kindle wifi enabled then?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    jim453 wrote:
    Ah but having red loadsa books doesnt meen you automatically spell well - people often write as they speak - and so they should if it suits them - it's their life and as long as they make themselves understood - who cares.

Utter garbage.

The ability to communicate is just one of the things that sets us apart from animals. In some very easy to imagine situations communication needs to be concise, accurate and unambiguous. Allowing people to use whatever collection of syllables they like as long as they can make themselves broadly understood is the thin end of a very backward thinking wedge. Why should we dumb down our language (spoken and written) just because some lazy moron can't be bothered to learn a few simple rules.

I accept that language evolves but we are engaged in some kind of messed up race to the bottom in every other area of our society, does how we actually speak and write really have to be next?

Wow! Seriously?

This is a cycling forum, not an english lesson. It doesn't really matter if the grammer aint perfect!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • jim453
    I suppose it only matters if you're claiming to have 'thousands and thousands' of e-books on your kindle, (illegally obtained mind you). I mean, what's he doing with them, looking at the pictures?

Anyway, as you were. The idiots are obviously winning.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    jim453 wrote:

Utter garbage.

The ability to communicate is just one of the things that sets us apart from animals. In some very easy to imagine situations, communication needs to be concise, accurate and unambiguous. Allowing people to use whatever collection of syllables they like as long as they can make themselves broadly understood is the thin end of a very backward thinking wedge. Why should we dumb down our language (spoken and written) just because some lazy moron can't be bothered to learn a few simple rules.

Yeah, the idiots are winning.

Anyway, you missed a comma. Corrected for you. :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    seanoconn wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

Utter garbage.

The ability to communicate is just one of the things that sets us apart from animals. In some very easy to imagine situations, communication needs to be concise, accurate and unambiguous. Allowing people to use whatever collection of syllables they like as long as they can make themselves broadly understood is the thin end of a very backward thinking wedge. Why should we dumb down our language (spoken and written) just because some lazy moron can't be bothered to learn a few simple rules.

Yeah, the idiots are winning.

Anyway, you missed a comma. Corrected for you. :lol:

And you an apostrophe.
    seanoconn wrote:
    Wow! Seriously?

This is a cycling forum, not an english lesson. It doesn't really matter if the grammer ain't perfect!

FYI - it does matter. It is a great way to separate the wheat from the chav. :mrgreen:

Kindle books sometimes have spelling errors. I have not followed any up though empirical evidence shows that one would get a refund against the book.
  • jim453
    If only one had actually purchased it in the first place.
  • just bought meself one for xmas from pc world as they offer a 10£ voucher - but it turns out its only eligible for 2 weeks in feb. Oh well off to hunt for fanny hill in digital form.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I think it would be worth waiting, paying a bit more and getting a Kindle Fire, due next year.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    The Kindle Fire looks interesting, but with an LCD screen it's not really going to be suitable for book reading. Seems to be interested in going for the "bigger than a I-Phone, smaller than an I-Pad" crowd, rather than book readers.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    We are getting my mother and mother-in-law E-readers for Christmas, one is having a Kindle and the other a Kobo.

Like others I really can't bring myself to read a book in electronic form, I like to have the paper in my hand and see the blood from paper cuts I got reading it previously! I have one book that I took on holiday when I'd just finished school, it was in a suitcase when a bottle of Old Spice broke and the book still smells of it. If I pick the book up now it reminds me of a great holiday, if I'd been using a Kindle it would have just ended up knackered and in the bin.
  • Totally agree Pross - books rule. I've got loads of pdfs though and this seems a better way to read them - I also didnt know you could download newspapers onto them. Still new technology - gotta give it a go or may as well move to Stoke.