Christopher Hitchens

pb21
pb21 Posts: 2,171
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
Passed away last night, shame, a great thinker.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty and wisdom will come to you that way. I want to live my life taking the risk all the time that I don't know enough

RIP
Mañana

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Talking of thinking...........
    One of the best lines I've ever heard, was a mate of mine, whilst on the phone to his girlfriend. He said:

"I do some of my best thinking when I'm on the phone to you"

We were in the pub at the time, I nearly spat my beer out !!!!!

ps. I'm a great thinker too. See, I'm doing it now whilst typing. Thinking and multi-tasking, I must be f*cking good at it !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    R.I.P. Always enjoyed his fearless debates with the religious zealots who try to force their beliefs on us all. A sad day.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    He will be sorely missed, really enjoyed listening to him.

Not sure he would approve of the 'RIP' epitaph though!
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Not sure he would approve of the 'RIP' epitaph though!
    True enough. Although some might have the delusional belief that there is a place called Hell for him which I'm sure he would have had a good laugh at.
  • Although some might have the delusional belief that there is a place called

Take it you've never been to stoke then, hehe.

I used to get confused between him and his brother - oh and his lesser known chafed brother Me-Ballser Hitchen.

Yes but RIP.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Although some might have the delusional belief that there is a place called

Take it you've never been to stoke then, hehe.
    I used to get confused between him and his brother - oh and his lesser known chafed brother Me-Ballser Hitchen.

Yes but RIP.

Ever since I first visited Hull I've assumed there was a spelling mistake!
  • A real loss to rational thinking! I look forward to having a beer with him in hell!
  • Will try and read more about him over the weekend if I have time, interest has been piqued by many references to his intellect and thinking today and the fact (according to bbc site) that he supported Iraq war and re-election of GW Bush. Genuinely intrigued by that so would like to read his reasoning.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    A great loss to rational thinking, didn't always agree with his views on george bush and Iraq war but his thoughts on religion, atheism, prince Charles and mother therasa were a joy to listen to
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....