What's the Christmas day menu round yours?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
So I'm cooking Xmas dinner this year. Just easier to have it in ours with our epidemic of kids.

The menu will be more or else Jamie Oliver inspired and stickign with the trad turkey

Starters

Smoked Salmon with Wheaten Bread (a la Jamies 20 minutes meals)
Vegatable Soup (like mum makes it using the ham stock)

Mains

Turkey - no celeb chefery here - stick an orange in it, cover the breast with Bacon,olive oil, salt pepper
Roasties made with Goose Fat a la Delia
Mash
Jamies pork stuffing recipe
Jamies Bacon and Cabbage
Roast root veg

Desert

Dunno yet.

So what's the menu round yours?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I'm cooking Boxing Day:

Pea & Lettuce Risotto with Jamon Iberico

"Ham Egg and Chips" - Mustard and Marmalade gammon, roast potatoes cooked in duck fat (but cut like chips ) and ouefs une cocotte.

Xmas pudding topped with filo-wrapped ice-cream bombs & brandy sauce.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I think we're having duck, round at my parents with my Mum cooking. If it's anything like the usual it'll be home made pate on toast, smoked salmon, tortellini (hopefully home made), 3 ducks with a wierd sort of Italian stuffing type thing she makes, various puddings (hopefully her Tiramisu which is wonderful). Various other things may appear between courses. Whole lot should take about 3 hours.
  • venison i think this year - not sure what with atm, whatever sis and I decide tbh.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • There isn't one this year in the Slapster household..... At £45 a head, we are all off to the local restaurant for the afternoon where a festive period of gorging and fun is promised without the need to chance damage to my manicure by washing up......... :-)
    Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Chronologically inept since 2026

Who Rides Cubes:
    On the road - 2011 Cube Streamer
    On the trail - 2012 Cube Elite Super HPC Pro
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    whatever is in the fridge i guess. no point in doing a massive slap up meal for myself, especially as i dont even celebrate xmas.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    No surprises here.

Breakfast is crossants & orange juice. Lunch it turkey, frozen roast & a tray of roasting veg - individual christmas puds available for those that want them. This year we're going for the least amount of time stuck in the kitchen.

Tea is turkey sandwiches or whatever you want to make yourself.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I am an awful cook, but Mrs EKE is fantastic and her dad is even better (even his chips taste fantastic). We're going round to her parents so dad-in-law will be cooking up a storm. No idea what the menu will be, but I'm sure it will be great.

I think I've got a good thing going. I like to eat, Mrs EKE likes to cook. Perfect!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    It'll be my Mum Chrimbo day so I'm expecting my favourite line up:

Starter:
    Prawn cocktail starter on Iceberg lettuce.

Main:
    Turkey
    Lamb and a Beef joint
    Rice (white and brown - that's white rice with kidney beans that change the colour brown/purple)
    Macaroni salad
    Salad
    Roast potatoes, boiled potatoes
    Sausages with bacon wrapped around it
    Sausage meat stuffing
    Cabbage and bacon

Dessert:
    Christmas pudding (which I'm have with custard AND ice cream)

Boxing day - Ms DDD is cooking think we're having goose and lobster.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Goose for the meat eaters, mushroom stroganoff for the veggies. Followed by apple crumble for desert

All the roast veggies have been grown in our back garden, the goose is from a local farm and the apples for desert have come from a friends garden.

All very eco friendly and lefty :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Home-made muffins for breakfast.

Roast turkey with stuffing, bacon rolls, gravy, roast pots, parsnips, cauliflower cheese, sprouts and anything else I can be bothered to peel the day before. Followed by Christmas pud if anyone can force it down.

Alcohol and exhaustion induced coma all afternoon in front of telly.

Aspirations for smoked salmon/turkey/ham/cheese/pickled onion sandwiches plus christmas cake in the evening, but in reality no-one will want to eat again until at least Boxing Day lunchtime, so I'll probably fling a handful of chestnuts on the woodburner and open another beer.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    NGale wrote:
    Goose for the meat eaters, mushroom stroganoff for the veggies. Followed by apple crumble for desert

All the roast veggies have been grown in our back garden, the goose is from a local farm and the apples for desert have come from a friends garden.

How do you grow roast veggies: all mine come up raw?
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    rhext wrote:
    NGale wrote:

How do you grow roast veggies: all mine come up raw?

My gardening skills are that good :lol: :roll:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Christmas Day menu

Get up & out for 50 mile ride,
    then back home, shower,
    corned beef/ spam sandwich & listen to HM The queen's speech

then a few beers and bed

oh and I may hve changed some of the items on the menu
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Bacon and eggs with bucks fizz

30 mile ride with club finishing with mince pies and hot chocolate

Duck with ginger and spring onion stuffing, roast veg etc
    Home made Xmas pud with cream

Xmas cake, nibbles, etc
  • Panettone and some fizz for breakfast.

Pea soup
    Beef Wellington with potatoes (dauphinoise and roast) and veg
    Heston's candied orange Christmas pudding and/or Tiramisu

Haggis sausage rolls for night time munchies
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    curry.
    Peter
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    My daughter (13) wants pizza.

Aside from that, standard stuff. Probably turkey, although I sometimes do goose. Roast potatoes and roast parsnips, stuffing (two types), pigs in blankets, mushrooms, Yorkshires, peas, carrots, gravy. Christmas pudding with cream.

No sprouts.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Christmas Day itself will be at my sister's place with the family, and will involve turkey, gammon and all the traditional goodies.
    Due to Mrs FB having to work over Christmas, we're having our festive scoff on 27th. Last year I did goose, this year I'm thinking duck, roasted everything, and sprouts cos I like them. Plus Christmas pudding with cream AND custard. Mmm...
    Misguided Idealist
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    We don't tend to do anything special for breakfast, might do this year though.
    Timely thread as I've been wondering about the menu. Definitely turkey as it's ordered. Only started doing parsnips last year as I didn't really like them until I tried Jamie's version - roasted with olive oil, garlic and rosemary.
    Pud will be Christmas pud set on fire.
    Sprouts are already on :D
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    50 grams of carb-HOHOHO-hydrate! :D
    Diabetic christmas lunch.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Has someone designed an App which illustrates how many calories you're consuming as you merrily munch your way through the day?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    cjcp wrote:
    Has someone designed an App which illustrates how many calories you're consuming as you merrily munch your way through the day?
    Almost certainly. Why would you want it though? Like your cycling costs, best not to know.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I read that a traditional christmas lunch can contain 3500 calories! At my weight, 55kilos, that's about 6 hours cycling at 15mph or 90 miles! More cake anyone?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I almost had to go without Christmas pudding! I went to Asda yesterday to get one, and they didn't have any. Not a single one. I couldn't even find a gap on the shelves where the Christmas puddings were supposed to be. Luckily, my wife went to Sainsbobs and got one today. Phew!

Daughter has decided she doesn't want pizza, after all. Turkey etc. for her then, so she's not a complete freak. ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • cjcp wrote:

My iPhone doesn't count that high.

"Lunch", so-called: turkey, roast spuds, stuffing, stuffing balls, sausages wrapped in bacon, carrots, sweet potatoes, green cabbage, red cabbage, sprouts with pancetta, French beans, cranberry sauce, bread sauce. And gravy. And a big plate.

Cheese followed by Christmas pud, several hours later.

Could be an uncomfy night.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

My iPhone doesn't count that high.

"Lunch", so-called: turkey, roast spuds, stuffing, stuffing balls, sausages wrapped in bacon, carrots, sweet potatoes, green cabbage, red cabbage, sprouts with pancetta, French beans, cranberry sauce, bread sauce. And gravy. And a big plate.

Cheese followed by Christmas pud, several hours later.

Could be an uncomfy night.

I dont think the old duffer made it through the night.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    My Christmas Dinner consisted of halloumi, tabouleh, baba ganoush, houmous, pitta, mint tea and melon juice.

We'd ridden with the 2512 crowd organised by Southwark & Greenwich Cyclists from the Cutty Sark in Greenwich, along the river and across Hyde Park to Edgware Road and a fabulous Lebanese restaurant. No cooking, no washing up, and a round trip of 80km on the tandem - perfect!
    Riding on 531