Strategies for avoiding hangover you can crack rocks on

jeepie
jeepie Posts: 497
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
I've got my Christmas bash tonight. All the people there are seasoned drinkers who can quaff 10 pints without breaking sweat and still walk the line. The buying of rounds will be much in force and with my svelte David Millar physique it's time for the fat boys to put me through torment. They spend their lunchtimes in the pub training for this. I'm out doing hill repeats on the Bianchi.

I will not be able to keep up and on the basis of past events be impossibly hammered by 6:30pm tottering on my bar stool. It will get worse from there; it will also cost a lot financially and physically.

So what do I do?

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    MTFU...?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Don't drink alcohol? Best way to avoid a hangover.
    More realistically, don't plan on doing anything tomorrow other than curling up in a ball, holding your head in your hands and sobbing gently.
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    This works:

Get yourself down to Boots and buy some sachets of rehydration powder. Two of them in a pint of water and two paracetamol or your fave pain killer before bed, washed down with as much water as you can take.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    It's really simple. Make sure that you punch someone in the face and then have a knee trembler with an unsuitable and, ideally, married colleague in a corridoor.

The following day you will be so pumped with adrenaline and panic that your hangover will run away screaming.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Drink less. Its the only way. Lots of fluid before bed and paracetamol / ibuprofen during the night can help, but I find if I'm that bad I either forget, can't stomach it or it just isn't enough. You're poisoning your body, its inevitable that you'll suffer.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    SimonAH wrote:
    It's really simple. Make sure that you punch someone in the face and then have a knee trembler with an unsuitable and, ideally, married colleague in a corridoor.

The following day you will be so pumped with adrenaline and panic that your hangover will run away screaming.
    Ever considered a job as an agony aunt? That's genius.
  • I would suggest alternating your drinks if possible. Tap water should be free remember. Take things steady and drink a cup of water or coke or whatever in between booze and drag out the time between pints if poss. as well. Also have a big dinner before.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Have something to eat with your drinks, this slows down the pace and prevents the sudden rush of alcohol that normally tips you into instant drunkness. MTFU and bail out of the rounds, i.e. only accept a drink every 2nd or 3rd. If they buy them for you anyway, just don't drink it and then off-load them when its your round.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Attack being the best form of defence - walk into the bar, order a pint of Drambuie Shandy. With a shout of "OK, who reckons they can keep up?" down it in one.

Some colleagues will immediately nod with respect and retreat into their own huddle (to save face, and to avoid the horrendous bar bills that will surely ensue if you continue with your chosen drink) others will try to keep up.

They are your problem although the likelihood is, you will already be beyond caring.

As for the hangover - it doesn't happen as you are likely to lose two days and sleep through it in blissful unconsciousness.

Other option - when asked what drink you want, ask for a Guinness Shandy - the lemonade reacts with the Guinness and it is almost impossible to pour, and if managed, takes the barman a good 15 minutes - by which time your colleagues will be on their third pint......
    Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Chronologically inept since 2026

Who Rides Cubes:
    On the road - 2011 Cube Streamer
    On the trail - 2012 Cube Elite Super HPC Pro
  • Reality is merely an illusion brought about by lack of alcohol. I only get hangovers when I stop drinking, therefore keep drinking and no hangover. QED

[EDIT - was my works bash yesterday afternoon / evening. Not saying it was heavy but even the sight of my avatar this morning made me feel slightly bilious]
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem