recommend a rear light

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Rolf F wrote:
    . If you had 14 R2s hanging off the back of your bike, nobody would get within 100 yards of you :lol:

T8100101-Steel_worker_with_open-hearth_furnace-SPL.jpg
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Rolf F wrote:
    buy cheap, pay twice....

But Smart R1,R2s are fine if you use mudguards.

+1
    And the R2 has a better switch so it does not "ghost " switch like the r1 used too.I run the r2 with crud`s and it has never stopped working .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    My old cateye 1100 is falling to bits

I'd like a rear light that takes AA batteries, is as bright as a Smart Superflash, is robust, fits on a seat stay and is actually rain proof

Dozens of brands of lights but none of them do all these things. Never mind.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Gone for the Moonshield due to
    1/ Good reviews
    2/ Lumens actually quoted OK not quite with the flare or hope)
    3/ comes with battery and usb recharge lead so it's an all in cost

Was very tempted by the flare but the 'other' costs put me off, a £7 more light once that was added came out at £15 dearer near enough, I dare say the hope is great, but have lots of other things to do with the £100 I didn't spend!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Gone for the Moonshield [...]

Yay!
    Mine was a gift, but I can understand the budget considerations - bought the Philips LED front light for £80 on the basis of such over Exposure/Hope/Ayup alternatives.
  • [plug]Smart rear lights are fine in the dry. When it's seriously wet (i.e. when you seriously need them) they can become seriously invisible. Just don't risk it. It's not big, clever or smart.[/plug]
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I bought some poundland rear lights as backup to a cat eye 570 ( I think, the ones that can switch themselves off when the bike stops moving). Been using them for about a year. The only 'problem' with the poundlanders is you have to go through all 7 modes to turn them off. Batteries last ages, bright, no problems with the wet. You can fix them to the bike with a mount, or clip them to the back of you helmet, or saddlebag or whatever. Definitely been my find of the year.
    The cateye is good as well :)