Patriotic kit

gazhurst
gazhurst Posts: 75
edited December 2011 in MTB general
I once read a few articles and forum posts from various sites with regards to cyclists wearing team kit and especially kit like the Great Britain Cycling kit made by Adidas.

It appeared that quite a few people took issue with the wearing of said kit stating things like 'if you havent earned it then you cant wear it' etc etc.

Now I for one, disagree with this mindset as I like the look of the kit and like to show that I support these teams. I also like to think that I'm fiercely patriotic and am proud of where I come from.

What do other people think?

Comments

• I agree with the support of wearing it as to do this you have to buy it which is putting cash back in to the sport as these company's sponsor GB but I wouldn't wear it myself as I know a few guys who ride for GB and they will most definately give dissapproving looks. When we go on club training runs and someone turns up in Sky or GB kit they definately get some sarcy although lighthearted comments.

Personally I don't care what people ride in as long as there happy who gives a damn what others think.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Wear whatever you want, who gives a flying one what other people think...
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • I would just be chuffed that someone thought I was anywhere near approaching good enough to be trying to blag myself as worthy of wearing it!

The number of people in the stands at Wembly trying to pass themselves off as England footballers is shocking though!

I'm not sure where the line is though - would you wear rainbow stripes?

TBH if it is sold to the public then it is probably fair game to be worn (as per football tops). If I was a national sportsman I would like to think that I wouldn't be turning up to club rides wearing it myself.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If it's sold then you can buy it.

There's a difference between wearing a shirt and claiming to be a national champion.

One of my bikes has got rainbow stripes on it, because it was designed by a world champion. I'd think it was odd putting stripes on for no reason. Like the gold stars for world cup wins in football: if you put them on despite winning no WCs you'd look a bit odd, but if you buy a Brazil shirt and it's got X number of stars on, no-one's going to think that you're trying to pass yourself off a Brazillian footballer, or that you're saying you personally won those WCs!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I wouldn't ride my bike in team colours, same as if i was playing football at some crap level I wouldn't wear the national strip.

Though now I think about it, often people playing crap football do wear the Scotland strip. So maybe not the best example.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    I wouldn't ride my bike in team colours, same as if i was playing football at some crap level I wouldn't wear the national strip.

Though now I think about it, often people playing crap football do wear the Scotland strip. So maybe not the best example.

+ potato on that

Me wearing any "team kit" while plodding around slowly on my bike would be an act of disgrace to the said team ;¬P
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    gazhurst wrote:
    I once read a few articles and forum posts from various sites with regards to cyclists wearing team kit and especially kit like the Great Britain Cycling kit made by Adidas.

It appeared that quite a few people took issue with the wearing of said kit stating things like 'if you havent earned it then you cant wear it' etc etc.

Now I for one, disagree with this mindset as I like the look of the kit and like to show that I support these teams. I also like to think that I'm fiercely patriotic and am proud of where I come from.

What do other people think?
    been getting stick after buying a top?

I would not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    been getting stick after buying a top?

I would not.

No not at all...havent worn one yet, however I would probably only wear one for commuting or solo training rides
  • I don't have too much of an issue with it, just as I never have problems with people playing 5 a-side in a team/international kit. The problem is if the people wearing it think they're world class and end up upside down in a tree!

There's nothing wrong with a bit of patriotism now and again and if it hightens the profile of the sport and the riders is it a bad thing?

For myself though... it all looks a bit tight to be honest. I prefer my bikewear more loose fitting!
    Beware the Judderman my dear, when the moon is fat. Sharp of tongue and spindle limbed he is, and cunning.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not a big fan of replica kit myself (either national or team), but if people want to wear it it doesn't bother me in the least, a lot of it is good kit after all!

It amuses me when you see someone in full Sky kit on a Trek, or full Saxobank kit on a Cervelo or sommat!

A chap turned up to race in Expert at the NPS a few years ago in a rainbow jersey. As he wasn't legitmate holder of the title for which said jersey is awarded they made him change it on the grid, he had to race with it inside out.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Not a big fan of replica kit myself (either national or team), but if people want to wear it it doesn't bother me in the least, a lot of it is good kit after all!

It amuses me when you see someone in full Sky kit on a Trek, or full Saxobank kit on a Cervelo or sommat!

A chap turned up to race in Expert at the NPS a few years ago in a rainbow jersey. As he wasn't legitmate holder of the title for which said jersey is awarded they made him change it on the grid, he had to race with it inside out.

That last part is a fair point. I think there is a huge difference between wearing replica kit while your out riding with mates, just having fun, or training. But it crosses the line wearing those kits in a race if you ask me. Those jerseys are won in races, and wearing one at a race is just a bit dillusional.
  • MountainMonster...amen to that.
  • njee20
    It's specifically not allowed. No replica kit may be worn in a race sanctioned by the UCI/national governing body. Plain, or a BC registered team only. That's the only time I've seen it enforced, but to be fair you don't see much replica kit in the upper categories anyway.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    "It amuses me when you see someone in full Sky kit on a Trek, or full Saxobank kit on a Cervelo or sommat"
    I don't get it!

I can see why they'd have rules for races, but for social riding, it doesn't matter. AS njee20 said, it's good stuff, so people are going to want to wear it. And if the teams didn't want people to buy it then they wouldn't sell it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • njee20
    I made that comment as well.... :?

I just find it strange that people have such apparent allegience to a team, but ride the bike of another team. You'd think one may lead t'other - they buy a Trek, so they want RadioShack kit, or buy a Pinarello and want Sky kit.
  • Maybe they just think it looks nice. Or got it cheap. I just remembered I technically have an On-One/Planet X team jersey, on account of them doing those slight seconds on sale a few months back. Otherwise I'd never do it because I tend to prefer plainer-looking gear anyhow, not big logos.
  • if its ok for football ,rugby and F1 fans and supporters to wear there favarite team or country colours why should it be any diffrent for cyclists even fishermen wear branded team gear and there not trying to pass themselfs of as top match winners. wear what you want.

in a race it should be diffrent like it states if you have won a race you have the right to wear in a race as its a badge of honor.
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Replicas are for wearing down the pub and getting into fights with.

But yeah, where what you like, who cares

fat_lycra.jpg

p.s. when it comes to Britain, it's illegal to be patriotic.
  • njee20
    if its ok for football ,rugby and F1 fans and supporters to wear there favarite team or country colours why should it be any diffrent for cyclists even fishermen wear branded team gear and there not trying to pass themselfs of as top match winners. wear what you want.

I think the difference there is that people don't really 'support' teams in the same way in cycling - like my analogy about people in Sky kit on a Trek or whatever, or mismatching kit. You'd not see someone in a Chelsea shirt and Man Utd shorts for example. People aren't doing it because they support the team.

That fella in the Lampre kit always make me smile!