Adjusting from MTB to Road Bike...

dizzyblonde82
dizzyblonde82 Posts: 100
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Hi,

I have only been used to riding mountain bikes but recently bought myself a road bike as all my riding is on roads so seemed a sensible move.

When riding the bike it feels fine but when stopped and stood over the bike it seems cramped, when putting foot at 2 O'clock to push off it feels as though my knee comes very close to the handlebars - is this normal for a road bike?

Not ridden the road bike much as got a knee injury shortly after buying the bike, so maybe it will take some time to adjust.

Thanks
Sarah

Comments

• PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Almost impossible to answer without seeing it.

For set up, your starting point should be:-
    when sat 'normally' on your bike, your handlebars should obscure your sight of the front wheel spindle.

If the spindle is in front of the bars, then yes you are to close to them.
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    As John said, Impossible to tell just from a description but it is quite possible that it is normal. My knees can get awfully close to the bars, particularly out of the saddle up hill, so close in fact that I have to be careful where I mount my phone holder or they'll make contact!
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The first time I rode my road bike, after only riding MTBs, I kept knocking my knees on the end of the drops when pedalling out of the saddle and accelerating, the road bike is just a different shape to a MTB, that's all. Once I adjusted to it it was fine.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thanks for the replies :) When sat on the bike with hands on the hoods the wheel spindle is blocked from view by the handlebars.

Guess it will just take a bit of getting used to as when sat on the bike everything feels comfortable.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Guess it will just take a bit of getting used to as when sat on the bike everything feels comfortable.
    That is as it should be.