Commencal Mata 553 2009

Mad Max
Mad Max Posts: 124
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I am in the process of upgrading my Mata 55.3 and have purchased a full new group set and other bits and pieces. After giving her a lot of TLC and fitting the group set i have noticed a slight bit of play and a little click from the rear end when i lift the the bike off the floor. I have tightened all the frame and shock pivot bolts but this has had little effect. There is no side movement just up and up and down. Do you think a new frame bearing kit is needed ? They have not been changed since i purchased the bike from new.

Any help please.
RETRO IS THE FUTURE.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Bearings or mounts. Place a hand over each joint and feel where the play is.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mad Max
    I will have a closer look tomorrow as the bike is not with me. Is this a expensive fix ? and are the frame kits easy to find for the 2009 model ?
    RETRO IS THE FUTURE.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Check shock mounts/bushings first. If so cheapish and easy.
    BETD and TF Tuned sell upgraded bits in most sizes and will make custom sizes for a few £ more.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    The main pivot bearings will be 6805 and the linkage bearings are 6082. These should be fairly easily bought from a bearing supplier and probably more cheaply than buying a specific kit.
  • Mad Max
    I have had a closer look at the frame and i cant work out where the play/movement is it is very slight. I think it is the shock mounts but i could be wrong I will keep it under observation. Thanks for the links and the good usual advice I will be ordering some new bearings shortly.

Cheers
    RETRO IS THE FUTURE.
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    Take a look for cracks in the frame
    2009 models were terrible for it.