Why 105?

NickintheLakes
NickintheLakes Posts: 258
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
Sora
Tiagra
Ultegra
Dura-Ace

Why has the 105 groupset not got a name like the rest?

Comments

• neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    History, If I remember right, Ultegra was 600 at some point in the late 80s.
    FCN 12
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Sora
    Tiagra
    Ultegra
    Dura-Ace

A classic case of a man with too much time on his hands :wink:
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Ooh, is this an 'Idle Questions' thread?

Why do dolphins and whales have flukes and sharks have tail fins?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I don't recognise any of those names...what are they? :wink:
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    One's an aquatic mammal and the other is a very large fish.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    jim453 wrote:
    One's an aquatic mammal and the other is a very large fish.
    OK then, why do certain aquatic mammals have flukes and fish have tail fins? Eh? Eh?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I don't recognise any of those names...what are they? :wink:

They're animals you find in the sea. :wink:
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I've never found out why 105 is called 105. Its a mystery?
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    It's because it's the number of laps in the first Japanese time covered crit that was won using the prototype of the groupset.

They changed the groupset names to proper names instead of numbers because they felt that it would appeal more to a wider market and appear less geeky - as above, I'm sure I've got some SX600 or something similar sitting in The Big Box in the garage: and ain't that a snappy name to reel off down the pub (by the way, 600 was the blue print number for the crank arms and so the whole project was covered under that one blue print number).

HTH

Y
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Yossie wrote:
    It's because it's the number of laps in the first Japanese time covered crit that was won using the prototype of the groupset.

They changed the groupset names to proper names instead of numbers because they felt that it would appeal more to a wider market and appear less geeky - as above, I'm sure I've got some SX600 or something similar sitting in The Big Box in the garage: and ain't that a snappy name to reel off down the pub (by the way, 600 was the blue print number for the crank arms and so the whole project was covered under that one blue print number).

HTH

Y

A great answer OR a great spoof-I`m in either way.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    It's named '105' after the cadence at which the groupset reached maximum efficiency. As tested by the famous Belgian Shimano test rider Joop De'Poop in 1999.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • Yossie
    nevman wrote:
    Yossie wrote:

HTH

Y

A great answer OR a great spoof-I`m in either way.

Nope - kosher info my son: the name change is the same principle as why car manufacturers call their cars names as opposed to model numbers (Peugeot excepting) - its so the "man on the street" can subliminally have a connection and affinity to them and remember the model easier.

It all happened around the same time as packaging on all the bits turned from an old plastic bag to the Fancy Dan boxes we now get: all designed to make the bits more appealling to the public.

Motorbike manaufacturers have started doing it as well (Monster, FireBlade, Fireblade, Dullville, Fazer, Hornet, Daytona, anything that goes potato potato potato I'm a middle aged accountant potato, etc, etc) - on a smaller scale obviously as 98% of m/bikes are still number/initial designated - ie 916, 1198, GSXR 750, R1, RC30, RC45, RGV etc, etc.

I can't remember the name of the crit for the 105, but leave it with me and it'll come to me after a couple of beers tonight - the burd is hating me more than normal at the moment so there is absolutely no chance at all of having any naughties, so I've nothing better to do.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DesWeller wrote:
    Ooh, is this an 'Idle Questions' thread?

Why do dolphins and whales have flukes and sharks have tail fins?

Just the luck of the draw.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Glancing through my 1986 Shimano catalogue as you do (the year 105 was introduced), it disappointingly makes no mention of crit laps or cadences. 105 parts are designated as '1050' (apart from the aero brake lever which is of course 1051), so it may be a slightly snappier shortening of that number (600 parts are 6207/8, etc).
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Yossie wrote:
    Nope - kosher info my son: the name change is the same principle as why car manufacturers call their cars names as opposed to model numbers (Peugeot excepting) - its so the "man on the street" can subliminally have a connection and affinity to them and remember the model easier.

BMW - 1series, 3 series, 5 series etc
    Mercedes - A class, B class, C class
    Audi - A1 A3 A4 etc
    Jaguar - X Type, XF series XJ Series
    Lexus 200, 400 etc

Premium cars are nearly all number or letter series in their nomenclature.

don't all the shimano kist have numbers behind them as well, 5600 etc?
  • Yossie
    Glancing through my 1986 Shimano catalogue as you do (the year 105 was introduced), it disappointingly makes no mention of crit laps or cadences. 105 parts are designated as '1050' (apart from the aero brake lever which is of course 1051), so it may be a slightly snappier shortening of that number (600 parts are 6207/8, etc).

Nothing to do with cadences I'm afraid - that was jus disinformation spread by another wanting to confuse us all.
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    Sora
    Tiagra
    Ultegra
    Dura-Ace

A classic case of a man with too much time on his hands :wink:

That's what semi retirement does to you. :)

I'm not going to ask my 'is it ok to wear trainers and use platform pedals with toe-clips on a road bike' question now as I am very sensitive to adverse comments. :lol::lol::lol: