Pimping my Secteur Sport for commuting

clairedavis45
clairedavis45 Posts: 2
edited January 2012 in Commuting general
Hello, I'm new here

I'm getting really fed up with commuting on my slow, heavy ridgeback hybrid, but it's the pannier rack, basket and normal pedals that make it best suited to my normal working life. I cycle around 60 miles per week in London in lots of short trips, no more than 5 miles at a time, carrying a fair bit of stuff.

I have a beautiful Specialized Secteur Sport which I bought for long, leisure rides, but have less time in my life to do that sort of riding at the moment, so it's sitting unused.

I've decided that the best thing to do would be to fit it with a rack, mudguards (?) and swap the SPD pedals for dual-use ones so that I can wear normal shoes on work days and clip in when I'm cycling for cycling's sake ...

Has anyone done this? I'd really like advice on whether there's a good type of rack to buy to fit this bike. I've managed to put a rack on it temporarily for Dunwich Dynamo night etc, but the rack I have gets so close to the rear brakes that it doesn't seem right. Thoughts, please?

Claire

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I commute on a Secteur-like Roubaix, using SPDs, MTB 'guards and a small backpack when required - SPDs are pretty common on the commute, according to the Commuting Chat threads, and I find much easier than flats. Crud road race mudguards should fit, but are a fiddle, based on a colleague's experience with his (similar) Tarmac. I just re-used MTB 'guards, as I'd spent waaaay too much on clothes, lights & other bits.

If you don't have much kit to commute with, have you considered a seat post-mounted back rack? I have a Topeak one on my mountain bike, with top bag, and it was ideal prior to getting the Roubaix. Topeak do make a laptop-sized bag, should you need such - better for balance than a laptop in one pannier.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    When I use my roadie in the summer I use a small backpack. I stuck Shimano PD-A530 pedals on the commuter for dual use.

If the rack isn't touching the brake and the brake doesn't poke through the frame of the rack then don't sweat it; an inch is as good as a mile in this case! Just give it a try and if it seems to work then it probably does!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Hi Claire,

If you have standard SPD pedals just get the Shimano PD22 flats with reflectors that clip into one side. I found some on ebay for £6. That way you get the flat&clip-in combo plus pedal reflectors (technically a legal requirement but also a good thing as in the dark the movement helps you stand out). Otherwise there are several dual sided models like the PD-T780 and PD-M324, PD-M424 that do the same thing.

IIRC the Secteur has inadequate clearance for proper mudguards. If that's the case you might like to try Crud Roadracer MK IIs that are designed for bikes with very little clearance and 23/25mm tyres or the Race Blade type semi-mudguards.

Re. the rack - I would say is that if it's not actually touching anything it should be fine, but if you want one with better clearance or fit on your Secteur perhaps you need to visit a shop and see what they can offer.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Hi there Claire. I commute on my 2010 secteur. I've not yet changed the pedals but have fitted a tortec tour ultralight rack with no problems and have crud road racers mk II's fitted. I couldn't get them to fit with the standard all condition 25s that came fitted, but had no problems once I had changed them for gatorskin 23s.

Have fun!

Sheikhus
    Specialized Secteur - FCN 6
  • Hey,

I've got a Secteur also with the tortec ultralight (see previous thread for a brief discussion viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12734113)

For mudguards I have these:
    http://bbbcycling.com/accessories/fenders/BFD-21F/
    http://bbbcycling.com/accessories/fenders/BFD-21R/

They're not as good as full mudguards but they stop water spraying all over me during the commute and (what's better!) they unclip/clip in about 5 seconds if the weather's good! I did try the crud road racer mk2 but couldn't get on with them (couldn't quite get them adjusted without rubbing with 25s, like shiekhus said). I then had some SKS plastic ones which I could just about get sorted but actually I wanted some I could really easily remove and refit.

I've got the M520 SPD pedals on the secteur and M324s on my MTB. The M324 pedals are quite good but I do prefer the M520s.

Dave
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'd suggest just sticking with ordinary M520 clipless pedals and keeping a pair of normal shoes at work. Riding without clips after you've converted is just wrong! (well, not very nice anyway!).

As for mudguards - I'd suggest the CrudRacer option. The MTB type will go a long way to stopping you getting wet but they are nowhere near as effective as proper mudguards - and they don't protect the front mech and rear wheel in the same way either; and that is important for drivetrain life unless you clean your bike every day.

As for racks - if you are only going 5 miles max I wouldn't bother. I often commute a hilly 20 miles or more with a backpack that's often got a fair bit of shopping in it. There are pros and cons with both approaches but 5 miles is a very short amount of suffering time even if you don't like rucksacks!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    im a recent convert to spd pedals an found them fantastic, like whats already been said i just keep my work clobber under my desk an switch over when i arrive

i have SKS blade mudguards

bike-1.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    mudcow007 wrote:
    [...]

Looks a bit singular to me.
  • I have a Secteur Sport that I have used for about 18 months commuting up to 35 miles in a day and use tortec velocity rear panniers, crud road race mudguards and ortlieb city roller panniers. It suits me down to the ground as I can still dissappear on it with the rack barely noticeable on it's own and when I am lugging kit to and from work the panniers save my pack and keep everything completely dry and secure.
    One tip do tape the points where the pannier bags make contact with the pannier rack as the paint wears (it's not really an issue purely to protect in the long term.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    DrLex wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    [...]

Looks a bit singular to me.

damn you!

i took the front off as im told they have a tendancy to get caught in your front wheel :shock:
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Where the rear guard ends don't you get much sprayed down the backs of your lower legs?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • is there any difference between the different models os Secteur? Do they all take a pannier?