Cotic Soul

MountainMonster
MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
edited February 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Hey all,

Finally got this build up and running, just waiting to pick up a wheel on Tuesday, and then the build is complete minus new rear wheel to match the front eventually, but as stands is not so important. Will eventually get some carbon bits as well to replace bars, and i'll see how I get on with the grips and seat as well.

Anyways the spec is listed below:

Frame Cotic Soul Medium
Bottom Bracket and Cranks: Shimano Deore with FSA Bash
Rear mech and casette: XT
Front Mech: SRAM XX
Brakes: Shimano Deore, 203mm front and 180mm back
Seatpost: Rotwild Something or other haha
Saddle: Still undecided if I want to keep this one, it is comfy but not for long distances on my road bike, maybe that will be different as i'm out of the saddle a hell of alot more on the MTB. Selle Italia
Forks: Pace RC41 Fighter 140mm
Headset: XLC
Stem: Shimano MTB Pro 90mm, 10 degree angle I think
Bars: 750mm Exotic Carbon Riser bars
Grips: Ritchey foam lock ons
Wheelset: Rear Sunringle Ryde XMB Front: Novatec 4 in 1 hub with black aero spokes and Alex rim rim. 700g :D
Pedals: Shimano DX bmx/trail pedals, farkin heavy, but a dream to ride on!

The bike weighs in at just under 13kg according to the shop. Once I get my back wheel replaced, new crankset and a few other parts, I will have brought that down to 12kg ca.

Extras: Carbon headset spacers, red KCNC bar protectors, red KCNC bar ends, Red Hope seatclamp, red chainring bolts.

2012-01-10161453.jpg

2012-01-10161443.jpg

Comments

• Very nice! I'm about that far along with my bfe build lol! Love the soul in black!
  • Is is a super lovely combo! I've not got the rear brakes mounted, as well as the derailleur, within a few days I should be able to get BB and crankset switched over, then headset pressed in whcih means within a week it will be ridable.

I'm super stoked!
  • You'll love it, I certainly do mine!
  • I'm sure I will as well. I've ridden a soul before, albeit very briefly, and it was exactly what I need. Lots of suspension up from, but a nice pedaling platform, and super responsive. Just need XMAS to hurry up and get here so I have my last little bits I need, and can get the darn bike built up and hopefully christened by new years!
  • Thursday will see the bike being set up by my mechanic, with headset pressed and crankset switched over. Then to cable up everything, hope my new Hope seat clamp arrives decently quick, and i'm good to ride. Think I will be eventually making the switch to 2x10 just for the kicks, or maybe just throw a bash on and take 3rd ring away.
  • Are you running 10 speed @ the moment (triple)? And going to drop the big ring or are you talking new 2x10 drivetrain?
  • Full conversion will be happening eventually once I get cash. Since i've got some really cheap Suntour forks at the moment that is the first upgrade. I may just stick with 3x10 and take the big ring off and stick a bash though.
  • Alright a small update, got the bike set up today, and i'm super stoked, i'm still trying to decide if I want to go 1x9 with it, and waiti until I have the cash to update to 2x10, or i'm going to throw the front mech on there and use 3x9 until I switch. I almost like the idea of using 1x9 for the time being, and throwing a bash on, but I need to see what I decide in the next few weeks.

Waiting for my hope clamp to arrive, then will be going out for its christening ride.

Wanted to take some pictures, but unfortunately it got too dark now, so I will need to wait until tomorrow to get some pics up.

Weighed it, and with the 100mm forks (suntour at that), I had it show up at 11kg according to my really cheap luggage scales. Am going to get the brakes bled in the next few days, and when I bring it in i'll have it weighed. And since the wheelset I have is 2kg, i'm stoked if it comes up around 11kg.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    edited December 2011
    See updated post at the top.
  • Well, decided to change a few parts already, mainly the addition of a FSA bashplate with red KCNC chainring bolts, and an XX front mech to be able to actually use the granny ring when I climb so I can be lazier!
  • Sweet, managed to scrouge up enougn dosh, so on monday will be picking up a new front hope pro 2 with some rims (not sure which, friend is building it for me) and my new Pace RC41 XCAM forks, which i'm super stoked about.

Means this bike will be for the most part finished, maybe new carbon bling eventually.

EDIT, Just got a call from my mate at the LBS, can pick the wheel and forks up in about an hour, so will be have those on tonight, and get a picture taken.
  • very nice i have its burly brother im currently building up :D i think mines liight so i can only imagine what yours is like
    live, ride, survive

2012 Nightrod Special Race tuned
    Cotic Bfe
    SYLO
  • New wheel didn't quite suite the looks I wanted, so will be picking up on Tuesday a different one to check out, but I now have the forks. Pace RC41 130mm forks look well trick, feel quite nice, and the weight seems really good as well. I'm super stoked.
    Picked up a new XT rear mech, so will be mounting everything up tomorrow, and will get pictures A.S.A.P
  • Alright guys, build is finally done, with new pics up.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to stay with 2x9, or go back to 3x9. Even just on the road outside my house it just seemed too slow, even in big gear!

Ended up picking the wheel up today, and i'm super stoked. Nice black with red hints hub, black aero spokes with red nipples, and a black and white alex rim. Nice and tidy weight of 700g for the front, and the rear wheel will be eventually replaced of a similar one once funds allow. Enjoy!
  • wheel sounds nice and tidy
    live, ride, survive

Cotic Bfe
    SYLO
  • From what my mate was saying, light enough for XC, but built for trail riding. Super stoked!
  • New, completed pictures are now up, with the spec as it will stand for a while!
  • were be the new pics?
    live, ride, survive

Cotic Bfe
    SYLO
  • I updated the ones in the original post.
  • Finally took the bike out for a ride, realized I need a decent amount of air still in the forks, but other than that it was lovely.

Such a nice riding bike, and was pleasently surprised with how it climbs.
  • http://superlight-bikeparts.de/ENVE-Swe ... handle-bar

Those are next on my list, then a new brake set, then a new back wheel, and I think I will be done!
  • Alright some exotic carbon bars have been ordered, as well as some carbon spacers. Decided I want to go a bit stealthy with the bike, so am going to change some parts to black or carbon. Got some new KCNC bar ends as well to pop on, but those are a bit blingier with red!
  • Beautiful bike! 8)
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Thanks, waiting to take delivery of some new exotic carbon bars, and some new carbon spacers to give it a bit more of a stealth look.
  • Alright, bars finally arrived, so got them mounted up, with the new spacers, and a new set of KCNC red bar ends. Very happy with the outcome!

2012-02-07115323.jpg
  • Alright guys, need a bit of advice, which would you recommend more. New brakeset, as the ones i've got now are not the most amazing, and stick alot even after cleaning, or new tyres? My LBS has a hope brakeset in VGC I could get for 200, but my front tyre mainly is not the most amazing either.
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    a front tyre wont cost £200? You can get a decent tyre for less than 40 squids.

I would go for the brakes, then sell your current ones and use that sale to buya new front tyre.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    If you want both, rosebikes have slx brakes and icetech rotors for like £150 or go Xt for around £190 thenyou'll have abit left over for a new tyre of your choice
  • Dirtrider wrote:
    a front tyre wont cost £200? You can get a decent tyre for less than 40 squids.

I would go for the brakes, then sell your current ones and use that sale to buya new front tyre.

The brakeset costs 200 euros, but the tyres of course not haha.

Thanks for the tip lawman, but I prefer buying local if at all possible, especially as my money is already off my credit card, so will need to be paying cash, or with bank card.