112 mile sportive opportunity

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=644

This is being organised by the guys who did the Donington Race Track evening I went to earlier in the year - and it starts 2 miles from where I live. (no exaggeration, it's as near to on my doorstep as makes no odds)

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=ibdxqfsulipcluaf

It's almost like someone has said "let's give Kieran the best chance to do his 1st 100 mile ride"

It's only £25 to enter as well!

I'm presently trying to convince my commuting buddies to join in.

There is a 64 mile option as well, but I've done 100K a few times so would like to push for the 100 Mile milestone (ahem) instead....
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• It is the next major step up from 100K. As with anything the first one is the hardest. Pacing yourself is vital, and you will slow down the farther you get. As an example I can do 100K sub 4 hours which should equate to 6hr 25mins for 100miles, but the best I've done for 100 is about 7hrs 30mins including stops. I tend to have a couple of five minute breaks and a longer 30 min break somewhere after half way. There are, undoubtedly, people who can hammer through 100 miles but us mere mortals......

Other than that it's just the same as any other ride, but longer
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Thing is, if you can do 65, then you only need another 35 to make the hundred. And 35 is a distance too short to be worthy of a ride in its own right!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Did the Chiltern challenge a couple of years ago. Like Rolf, I thought, heck I easily get through 65 miles, what's another 35? Everything! It is never exactly 100 miles. Never eaten so much pasta in my life. Great ride though. Go for it.
  • I'm actually pretty sold on it myself... I just need to convince my mates to go with me. I reckon I can get one guy on board, but my slower cycling mate may take some convincing. Especially as he'd be on his Tricross, the other guy would be on a Cube Attempt and me on my Trek Madone...
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Looks nice, i want to do some more sportives next year assuming baby duties do not hold me up to much, last year i did the 100 k option of the midland monster , next year i would like to try for the 100 mile option if i can get the training in.
    Not been on a long ride for nearly a month though due to family commitments and now i am off work with a chest cold.

http://www.wheelsinwheels.com/midlandmo ... event.html
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Looks nice, i want to do some more sportives next year assuming baby duties do not hold me up to much, last year i did the 100 k option of the midland monster , next year i would like to try for the 100 mile option if i can get the training in.
    Not been on a long ride for nearly a month though due to family commitments and now i am off work with a chest cold.

http://www.wheelsinwheels.com/midlandmo ... event.html

Good God - a lot of that is on the 100K route I do :) (I prefer my choice of roads for the bit from Tutbury to Ashbourne but I know why they picked the one they did)

That's a hell of a ride... it takes in some of the worst hills in the Peaks
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cyberknight

Good God - a lot of that is on the 100K route I do :) (I prefer my choice of roads for the bit from Tutbury to Ashbourne but I know why they picked the one they did)

That's a hell of a ride... it takes in some of the worst hills in the Peaks

I bet i have seen you about KB ? , when i get chance i ride with mercia CC, last few times i went out we were around tissington /Ashbourne .Not been out for a while though as i said earlier . :D
    I know in the past you know my commute route as you used to live close to me .
    73 mile route and even though i burnt my bottom bracket and chain ring out which meant i was ghost shifting i still managed it in 4 and a half hours which was slower than i hoped but i was happy enough with it
    FCN 3/5/9
  • cyberknight
    Something to note, there are 2 Midland Monsters next years run by 2 different people .....

http://www.cyclosport.org/event/20-May- ... trust.html
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Something to note, there are 2 Midland Monsters next years run by 2 different people .....

http://www.cyclosport.org/event/20-May- ... trust.html

Good God - that route takes me past where I USED to live and where my Mum and Brother do at the moment. I've cycled those roads for years and years now - and the Forestry centre route is part of the final loop of my 50 mile Tamworth circuit (when I lived in Stapenhill)
    Riders then face Old Hill a nasty short steep climb out from Ashbourne

That's the hill I ran out of gears on when I first tried it... I found a better alternate route after that... It is a cow of a climb.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cyberknight
    lol on the hill i could not get my bottom gear when i tried it due to the play in the BB causing the rear mech to hit the spokes with the amount of play it had, i had to try it on 34x21.

ever been up here?

http://g.co/maps/7qvmr

Gotta love apex :)
    FCN 3/5/9
  • You see, you're daft - this is why CX bikes rule... I cycled the trail instead ;)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cyberknight
    You see, you're daft - this is why CX bikes rule... I cycled the trail instead ;)

Thats what the "winter hack " is for :)

photo0025o.jpg
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Right - I've convinced my mate to do this - and we're both up for it. I'm going to see if we can't add 12 miles onto the start / finish getting to/from the event.

If we do this then by my calculations we'll hit 200Km for the day. I actually think we're going to die on the saddle (especially as we may be accompanied by a much higher quality rider who will be doing the Dragon Ride the week before) but I'm willing to find out! It may be that he'll treat this as an easy run (the nutter does the Alp stages) and will pull us along on the more difficult bits.

Now, how the hell do you train for something like this when you've only ever done 100K in easy stages before?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I've signed up for my first 100 mile sportive. I have done 100 miles plus before, take it steady eat lots it's fine you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. I did read some chap on here recently recommending ibuprofen. Knowing how much I ached at the end of my last sportive that's an idea I'm quite taken with.

Anyway, to achieve my 100 mile sportive goal I'm going to buy some bling carbon wheels. Will it make it easier? Probably not but it's important to have a blingy bike.
  • You see, you're daft - this is why CX bikes rule... I cycled the trail instead ;)

Last long ride I did was the York Clifton CC's Tan Hill audax, which with travel there & back was somewhere approaching 170m. On my tricross. But with 23mm tyres. Sorry!
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • I've got my Tricross on 28s or my Madone on 23s. Guess which one I'll be using on the day?

I'll give you a clue:

P9031749.jpg
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X