DVT and Cycling

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
I developed a pain in my right shin after a long haul flight. After several days of it still persisting I went to see the doctor. His initial assessment was that it was unlikely to be DVT but to keep a close eye on it. The pain around the shin began to subside the day after but then my calf started aching. Last night I checked myself into A&E. An initial blood test indicates it may indeed be DVT and I was given an anticoagulant injection as a precautionary measure. A further scan today will confirm whether or not it is DVT, but I'm preparing myself for the worse. This means up to 6 months of taking Warfarin to prevent any new blood clots forming whilst my body naturally breaks up the existing clot.

Has anyone experienced the same, and if so, what is the advice around cycling or just exercising in general? The message appears to be ok in moderation, but to avoid any activities where there is a high risk of bruising or injury.

I can't bear the thought of not being able to cycle or train for several months, and this has come at the worse time as I was preparing myself for some serious winter training for a sub-4hr Etape Caledonia time in May 2012

:(

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Listen to the docs. TBH cycling isn't a contact sport (or at least it's not supposed to be - someone tell drivers of vehicles then). If on warfarinthen you could bleed/bruise more. I'd enquire with the experts (not us) about the strain on the heart lungs of cycling - and if this may cause a clot to be dislodged - you don't wan't that.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    I wouldn't say that cycling has a serious risk of injury or bruising. Maybe ride a bit more cautiously, but my most common cycling injury is smacking my ankle on the pedal as I wheel it down the passage to my back gate...err:oops:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • When I was treated for suspected DVT I wasn't advised not to exercise. My scan was inconclusive (I'd been having blood thinning injections in the stomach for 5 days before they did it though) but I had all the classic symptoms and a very strong family history of DVT and associated problems.
    Ask your Dr and they will clarify what you can and can't do based on your symptoms.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I got diagnosed with a DVT in June (about 3 months after first having symptoms of anything that would lead me to seek my GP's advice, but that's another matter).

As a result, I've been on warfarin for the past 6 months (had my last INR check this morning, as it happens). It hasn't had much change in me riding my bike. I've commuted daily to work, for example. Cycling isn't likely to cause cuts or bruises, so as long as you're not racing (where the risk of crashing is greater), I don't think it makes any odds.

The main thing I did do was wear my helmet most of the time I was on the bike. Falling off and having internal bleeding in the head wouldn't be a good plan. I do have an ICE tag on my helmet, so I made a note on that saying I'm on warfarin, just in case I did have an off and wasn't conscious or lucid enough to tell paramedics.

The only other things I've done while on warfarin is to avoid things like spinach, broccoli and cranberry juice. I've also seldom drunk any alcohol - I didn't really get a clear idea whether drinking is OK on warfarin, but I got the impression one was OK.

I also wear a compression sock, to give some support to my calf & ankle. Since it was 3 months before I got put on the anticoagulants, I think there's a chance of permanent damage to my veins, and the leg might never fully recover. Even now, after 6 months, it's about 5mm greater in circumference than the other one.

The heparin self-injections weren't as bad as I anticipated, by the way.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Thanks all for your replies. Still waiting for my scan but now the initial shock has worn off I feel better prepared whatever the result.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I have just finished 6 months of warfarin after a DVT / pulmonary embolism in May. Looking back with 20/20 hindsight - I'd obviously had the DVT a couple of weeks before the PE. I'd done a couple of hard TTs and thought I'd just pulled something - it was only after 2 sleepless nights with chestpains I went to the docs.

Listen to what the docs say but after I had a few days rest at the outset, exercise was certainly encouraged (& I explained that would be riding a bike). Taking warfarin neednt be a big issue and again the docs will guide you with what to avoid.

Unfortunately, I then got run over & couldnt ride anyway but that's another story altogether and the bruises were epic :shock:
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Agent57 wrote:
    The only other things I've done while on warfarin is to avoid things like spinach, broccoli and cranberry juice.

Most of us avoid those three things anyway ;)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5