Avid Elixir R problems

thejerv
thejerv Posts: 90
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, my old man has just purchased some Avid Elixir R's for his Whyte E120, I attempted to fit them last night but had a problem. When I attempt to tighten the caliper the bolts pull it closer to the bracket then the caliper hits the disc. The rear rotor is 180mm and the front is 203mm, I had the same problem with both. It's as if the caliper needs spacers behind it. Can anybody help?
Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you have fitted the mounting washers?

pbpic1174591.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Do you have the correct bracket?

Avid use tri-align so are not post mount.

Avid tend to use either 160mm or 185 rotors, not sure of their usual sizing above 185 though.

You will need tri-align washers behind the brackets.
  • nicklouse
    Do you have the correct bracket?

Avid use tri-align so are not post mount.
    yes they are. but the washers are part of the caliper.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:
    you have fitted the mounting washers?

pbpic1174591.jpg
    No, I haven't got any washers, but those look exactly what I need as it will space the caliper just enough.
  • nicklouse
    not thez are NOT plane washers.

Go to your LBS and get some of the mounting washers from an old set of V brakes (2 sets) and then download and read the mounting instructions.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    were did he get the elixir's from.. sounds like they have not give you the full kit.. i would be sending them back for a refund. or getting them to pay for the missing parts.
  • delcol wrote:
    were did he get the elixir's from.. sounds like they have not give you the full kit.. i would be sending them back for a refund. or getting them to pay for the missing parts.
    They were from eBay, taken off a brand new trek. Got them for a good price so can't really grumble about needing to get the washers.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Old V-brake conical washers work just fine (what I have on my Juicy's), most LBS will have some in their 'box o bits' for pennies....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    thejerv wrote:
    delcol wrote:
    They were from eBay, taken off a brand new trek. Got them for a good price so can't really grumble about needing to get the washers.
    aghhhhhh right.. still could of told you in the listings..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not really, it either comes with mounts (and should be complete) or not......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Clarify mounts...??
  • nicklouse
    the bits you are missing as opposed to the adapters.