Bike cover recommendations

flimflam_machine
flimflam_machine Posts: 263
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Can anyone recommend a good bike cover, either for a single bike or, preferably, one that will cover 2 or 3 bikes on a rack together?

I'd like to keep the rain off my commuting bike while it's outside over the winter. The last cover I had fitted ok, but the fastenings were rubbish and it was made of something that split dramatically if you snagged it on a pedal taking it off.

Comments

• jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    you keep your bikes outside? That's tantamount to abuse.
  • jomoj wrote:
    you keep your bikes outside? That's tantamount to abuse.

Well I use them outside so it doesn't seem too mean. Also I think that the D-1 number would dip rapidly if I started bringing bikes inside.
  • Can anyone recommend a good bike cover.

Brick sides, maybe a slate or tiled roof, felt as a minimum.
  • Can anyone recommend a good bike cover.

Well that certainly wouldn't tear!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Can anyone recommend a good bike cover.

Yes, I keep mine in one of these
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I gave up and got one of these. Great if unless security is major concern as it's about as much use as a cover as far as that goes. Note: It doesn't come with a base.

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/ ... ?oid=17248
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • If it has to be a cover and not a shed etc. you could just look at getting an industrial tarpaulin with metal eyes and secure to ground anchors with a rope. I think something that would be used on the back of lorries would be far more stronger than any bike specific cover.
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a good bike cover.

Yes, I keep mine in one of these

What, a Lorry?

In the interests of staying on topic I'll say that I already have a shed, but it is too full of assorted junk to fit bikes in. Also to get to it I'd have to carry my bike through the house, which isn't feasible. Planning regulations round my way make it impossible (I suspect) to build a bike store in my tiny front garden. I'm not precious about my bike, but I don't want it to rust over the Christmas break when it's not getting as much use. So help! Show that you care about my bikes, even if I am an unfeeling barsteward.
  • I'm not precious about my bike

:shock:

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    In the interests of staying on topic I'll say that I already have a shed, but it is too full of assorted junk to fit bikes in. Also to get to it I'd have to carry my bike through the house, which isn't feasible. Planning regulations round my way make it impossible (I suspect) to build a bike store in my tiny front garden.

Non-permanent structure, innit.

Although I do like the idea EC suggested: nip down to the local builders' merchant and buy a big tarp. Wouldn't be that hard to rig up some sort of frame too..
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.