I need a new wind/shower proof jacket asap!

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
All ready this morning with my awesome Aldi jacket which is (was) absolutely superb and the bloody zip has gone! It was a YKK zipper so obviously decent but I must have had a faulty one? It's splayed open and won't lock up so I can't fasten it anymore. Ill probably get it repaired but I'm now in the market for a decent Gorewear style jacket which I need to buy from Evans tonight (as I can't wait for delivery and I have a voucher to redeem too)

I want: a dark colour, fitted, wind/shower proof whilst warm and breathable. My Aldi jacket did all of this. Even down to the recent 0degC I only needed a thin cotton T-Shirt underneath and I was nice and toasty without ever getting sweaty.

I wish I'd bought a few from Aldi now! :(
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Get a Countdown or an Alp-X; everyone who owns one raves about them, particularly as you can zip the sleeves off.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    All ready this morning with my awesome Aldi jacket which is (was) absolutely superb and the bloody zip has gone! It was a YKK zipper so obviously decent but I must have had a faulty one? It's splayed open and won't lock up so I can't fasten it anymore. Ill probably get it repaired but I'm now in the market for a decent Gorewear style jacket which I need to buy from Evans tonight (as I can't wait for delivery and I have a voucher to redeem too)

I'm beginning to wonder about YKK zips as I have a couple of Aldi tops where the zips feel a little tricky.

Might be worth seeing if your local Millets or TKMaxx have anything as both will be cheap and I struggle to see the need to spend more than I did on my Aldi lightweight wind proofs.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I don't understand the blind faith in YKK zips - I've had just as much trouble on the past with YKK as any other brand. They are common but that doesn't make them good.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    The zip on my Aldi jacket went last winter. The bottom came away from the jacket itself and got progressivly worse to the point I couldn't zip it up.

Ended up getting a local shop to replace the zip which cost me as much as the jacket did in the first place :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    YKK are a huge manufacturer. I'm sure they make more than 1 quality of zip. I doubt that Aldi buy their premium quality.
  • rolf_f
    Veronese68 wrote:
    YKK are a huge manufacturer. I'm sure they make more than 1 quality of zip.

If they want to protect their brand image, they wouldn't deliberately produce crap zips - there is a difference between different qualities and whether or not an item is fit for purpose. Given that they know what shape to make the teeth, the only real remaining variable is the plastic and there is no excuse not to make that durable. There is really no excuse.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    YKK are a huge manufacturer. I'm sure they make more than 1 quality of zip.

If they want to protect their brand image, they wouldn't deliberately produce crap zips - there is a difference between different qualities and whether or not an item is fit for purpose. Given that they know what shape to make the teeth, the only real remaining variable is the plastic and there is no excuse not to make that durable. There is really no excuse.

That's a vast over simplification. Different plastics cost different amounts, mould maintenance, cavitation, moulding conditions, tolerances on moulding, tooth placement, quality of zip backing fabric, quality of the zip pull etc etc If it was easy, every zip company would be as good as the other.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    That's a vast over simplification. Different plastics cost different amounts, mould maintenance, cavitation, moulding conditions, tolerances on moulding, tooth placement, quality of zip backing fabric, quality of the zip pull etc etc If it was easy, every zip company would be as good as the other.

Absolutely - but YKK know all these poinst and have a reputation to protect. The only variable for YKK should be materials and there is no excuse not to make things not fit for purpose. A zip that develops defective teeth in only a few uses shouldn't really be made at all but if a supposedly decent manufacturer has to do it, if they had sense they'd sully a different brand name.
  • Slightly off topic but are the aldi cycling jackets any good? Noticed my local aldi has a few in stock but (wrongly?) assumed it would be cheap tat. Didn't check the brand name.
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I have http://www.pro-bike.co.uk/jackets-/2362 ... acket.html very good indeed. Also Gore Phantom gets great review but tight fit didn't work for me....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:

I want: a dark colour, fitted, wind/shower proof whilst warm and breathable. My Aldi jacket did all of this. Even down to the recent 0degC I only needed a thin cotton T-Shirt underneath and I was nice and toasty without ever getting sweaty.

I wish I'd bought a few from Aldi now! :(

at the risk of sounding nanny like, are you sure you want a dark colour at this time of year? i'm not saying you have to go dayglo, but my own experience (ie highly scientific sample of one!) even with lights, it's much harder to see the darkly clad cyclist.

If you have reflective strips and super lights, then fair enough....just a thought.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    I have the black one of these, which I like a lot. More visible colours are available!

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/42934/Surface_Pertex_Jacket
    http://www.surface-clothing.com/pertex.php

The tapes seams and i-port are lies, but the rest is true.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    my fave is the endura windchill. Ive been on 2 hr rides in constant driving rain in feb, and still been warm and comfortable. and it looks like it might go through a third or fourth season. only slight prob, the reflectives are washing away! no biggie
  • rolf_f
    PorlyWorly wrote:
    Slightly off topic but are the aldi cycling jackets any good? Noticed my local aldi has a few in stock but (wrongly?) assumed it would be cheap tat. Didn't check the brand name.

I've done over 15,000 miles in Aldi jerseys, softshell jackets and windproofs.

I find - the jerseys are a bit long for me - puts the pockets a bit low down but I use them mainly for commuting and don't use the pockets. Plus I have a relatively short torso so really just me.

The jerseys I got a couple of years ago tend to end up with unstitched cuffs (for long sleeve). Doesn't look great but doesn't fray any worse either. More recent ones seem to be better.

The material bobbles a bit eg around where my rucksack straps go but so does expensive stuff.

Otherwise hard to fault. I can't think of anything to complain about with the softshell jackets (which are excellent).
  • Gore Phantom on a 40% off deal at "they who must be blamed" at the moment...........
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Slightly OT, but as far as I know Aldi's stuff have YCC zips, not YKK... It's totally different brand.