Proper commuting ice bike

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/diaries/helen ... ort-relief

And Helen Skelton too. Almost enough to make me want to go to Antartica. Anyway, what's the FCN of one of those?
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/diaries/helen-skeltons-polar-challenge-for-sport-relief

And Helen Skelton too. Almost enough to make me want to go to Antartica. Anyway, what's the FCN of one of those?

I'd ride it to the south pole and back.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    And the bike?
  • asprilla
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    And the bike?

Yes, her too.

/badum tish.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'd ride it to the south pole and back.

I've got a polar challenge for her to take on.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    hmmm why have they got a derauiller on there, surely an internal hub system would have been a much better option.

she is also fit as fook though
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    spasypaddy wrote:
    hmmm why have they got a derauiller on there, surely an internal hub system would have been a much better option.

Dunno - a hub system could freeze internally and be a bugger to sort out. At least with a derailleur you can get at everything. Some of these bikes come with cassette fitted rear wheels on the front as well so if the freehub on the rear freezes you can just swap over.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Tri-bars?
  • asprilla
    Rolf F wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Dunno - a hub system could freeze internally and be a bugger to sort out.

This. Hub systems can freeze in UK weather conditions, never mind in the coldest most desolate place on Earth*.

The Antarctic, not Commuting General
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    JZed wrote:
    Tri-bars?
    Watch the video, apparently they're quite useful when cycling into a howling, Antarctic headwind. She wears suitable clothing in most of the video, whether its getting sweaty training in the UK or wrapped up in a simulator wind tunnel. Pro's and cons to each one.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    Tri-bars?
    Watch the video, apparently they're quite useful when cycling into a howling, Antarctic headwind. She wears suitable clothing in most of the video, whether its getting sweaty training in the UK or wrapped up in a simulator wind tunnel. Pro's and cons to each one.

Hmmmm - this may explain the rise of them on the commute. I've spent the last 3 weeks cycling into howling, antarctic headwinds - maybe time for some clip-ons.
  • spasypaddy
    absolutely no chance id commute on some tri bars (not unless i was doing my interval training on my commute). the possibility of cross winds and traffic are a horrendous thought
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Asprilla wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Dunno - a hub system could freeze internally and be a bugger to sort out.

This. Hub systems can freeze in UK weather conditions, never mind in the coldest most desolate place on Earth*.

The Antarctic, not Commuting General

you just use a different oil. used hub gears in -35 before and no probs. and if it does lock up you still have drive. that mech is very close to the ground.

this (less the suspension) would have been a better bet.

img_ktrack.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • spasypaddy
    thanks nick, thought i was going mad for a second there.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    spasypaddy wrote:
    thanks nick, thought i was going mad for a second there.
    cabbage.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    you just use a different oil. used hub gears in -35 before and no probs. and if it does lock up you still have drive.

Interesting. I have a Rohloff geared bike which I sometimes use for commuting especially in the bad weather. Never had any problems in last year's snow. AFAIK only about 10ml of oil is added after each flush. I'm suprised that changing such a small volume of oil would make much difference. I've only ever used the recommended Rohloff oil but I guess I could use suitable alternatives?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • helens-polar-challenge-ice-bike.jpg

Looks like a non-electric version of this: 3_fortnew.jpg

Seems like he's knows his onions though ... http://www.fortunehanebrink.com/general/about/

EDIT - is that a bar end used to protect the rear derailleur??

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url