Family Guy vs The Cleveland Show vs American Dad

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Who wins? Which one is funniest? What one is your guilty pleasue?

And the almighty, Why do you like the one you like?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    Family guy

I find it the most vulgar and therefore the most funny.

Family guy

Why? While the other two have their moments, Family guy has the most memorable moments for me.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    Simpsons
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Family guy has more pop references, and is more revolved around general observational comedy...

American Dad tends to be the same joke over and over.

Clevelend show I don't get.
  • DonDaddyD
    edited December 2011
    Simpsons

Simpons stopped being funny after the third season. Season four had it's moments (Wacking Day) after that it became dead to me.

Edit, Season 4 was genius as well. That contained the April Fools day episode where Homer opens THAT can of beer and ends up in a coma. Was laughing for weeks about that one. Still do.

ETA: Season 4 also had the episode where Homer has THAT fight, which was televised and ends with him snapping his back. Brilliant. And Wacking day with the Homer Ninja scene. I think Season 3 and 4 were the best.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Can it be anything but:

1 - Family Guy
    2 - American Dad
    3 - That spin off featuring the least funny character from Family Guy
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've never really got into the Cleveland Show.

American Dad is more consistent, I'll probably chuckle through most of the episodes. I know what you mean abou tit being the same joke. Stan's always intolerant, then he learns to be a bit more tolerant at the end of the episode. Then next episode he's being intolerent..... The war re-enactment and Roger as a cop episodes were very good though.

Family Guy can be very good or just terrible (the 'Quagmire gets fired so Joe, Peter and Cleveland hijack a plane' stands out as a particular low), the more recent ones have been better. Unlike Futurama, which started out very well, went off the air, then came back, but every episode was awful.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i think i have only seen one episode of The Cleveland Show an was confused by the big blue bear...whats all that about?

family guy is laugh out loud funny, even my mrs laughs (which is saying something) i dont think the humour is to everyone's taste granted

im surprised they haven't been hit with racism an sexism claims though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • DonDaddyD
    Family guy episodes aren't that great as a whole. It's the moments within the episodes that make it great.

Example: The episode where Brian sleeps with Quagmire's Dad. Not funny except for the moment where Brian realises that he slept with a post-op trans and does that almighty vomit.
    Food Chain number = 4

• mudcow007
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Family guy episodes aren't that great as a whole. It's the moments within the episodes that make it great.

awesome episode.....quagmire.png
  • 1. Family Guy
    2. Cleveland Show, followed closely by American Dad.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • DonDaddyD
    mudcow007 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What happened in that episode again, all I can remember is that one joke. But therein is my point.
    Food Chain number = 4

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    You can't really compare Family Guy, The Cleveland Show and American dad. They're trying to do different things. The Cleveland Show is an homage/spoof of 80's american family sitcoms, and American Dad is specifically targeted at the (fairly unique) Left/Right, Conservative/Liberal, Red/Blue situation in the US. Family Guy is a surreal, absurdist, satire on pop culture.

Also, fart jokes.
  • notsoblue
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Well thats probably because they're neither.
  • rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Quite.
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

that was one of the stand out moments for me - I almost spat my drink out when that scene played out.

Also - and I loved this episiode, when Stewie and Brian got locked in the vault overnight - some utterly gross moments in there, but thoroughly enjoyable
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Simpons stopped being funny after the third season. Season four had it's moments (Wacking Day) after that it became dead to me.
    No way, The Simpsons had awesome episodes up to at least the ninth season. I rest my case. ;)
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    A few months ago I would have said Family Guy, but I'm starting to prefer American Dad primarily because of Roger and Klaus. Family Guy is generally more surreal, but I prefer the premise of surreal characters trying to be 'normal'.

Cleveland Show wins for pure smut though - I think it's the only one with thinly-veiled fisting references, at least!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

that was one of the stand out moments for me - I almost spat my drink out when that scene played out.

Also - and I loved this episiode, when Stewie and Brian got locked in the vault overnight - some utterly gross moments in there, but thoroughly enjoyable

Eat my poo!
  • notsoblue
    I think thats one of the best things I've ever seen on TV. Brilliant stuff.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Family guy, no contest.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    I think thats one of the best things I've ever seen on TV. Brilliant stuff.

"You rimmed me"

"There was tongue on sphincter. Face it Brian, you rimmed me"
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Family Guy followed by American Dad.

Family Guy must be funny when Jake can be heard snorting with laughter at it :D

I will admit I introduced him to Family Guy and American Dad, he now has the DVD box sets of all the Family Guy episodes so far released :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    notsoblue wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Quite.
    That often doesn't stop people.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Quite.
    That often doesn't stop people.
    Racist.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Much as I love it, Family Guy can be pretty offensive some times. I take the view that for that kind of humour to be effective it has to offend all of the people some of the time, but its still pretty uncomfortable if you find yourself watching alongside one of the victims of that humour.
  • notsoblue
    BigMat wrote:
    Much as I love it, Family Guy can be pretty offensive some times. I take the view that for that kind of humour to be effective it has to offend all of the people some of the time, but its still pretty uncomfortable if you find yourself watching alongside one of the victims of that humour.
    I don't know about that. Family Guy can be crass, but it often does so to make a point. A recent episode featuring Quagmire's sister and domestic abuse actually had pretty sensitive, insightful and tactful undertones. There is comedy in the tragedy sometimes, and the show only ever sympathised with the victim. This kind of humour isn't everyone's cup of tea, and it may be a trigger for some, but you can't accuse it of being exploitative or genuinely offensive.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    Family Guy gets my vote even if they do push things just a litle bit far sometimes...

That said, I prefer South Park to all of them.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]