A head on hit and run yesterday.

Simonb256
Simonb256 Posts: 880
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
So I'm putting this here so I can find out how it was my fault this time.

I was cycling up this road yesterday evening: http://tinyurl.com/cqo3zdg

There was no traffic in my lane and a queue going in the opposite direction to the traffic lights (you need to 180 to see them in the google maps link). I was in primary as there was no traffic in my direction, it was a 20mph limit which I was doing easily, there were pinch points further ahead and I wanted to turn right at the end of the road (which isn't far from where I was).

Car decided it doesn't want to be in the queue any-more and pulls out of the queue and straight into me. My front wheel hits his front bumper smack in the middle. I then bounce off the bonnet and land the right way up (surprisingly) and still clipped in. The driver did not indicate, I had my lights and high vis on.

The driver then just shouted for me to get the fsck out the way and was revving at me. As soon as I moved he disappeared. I didn't get the plates etc.

So... How will this be twisted to be my fault today? Shouldn't of taken primary?
"War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984

Comments

• phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Sounds grim. Did anyone else see it?
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    definitely your fault.

you are clearly not a sufficiently careful/intelligent/predictive/omniscient/visible/fast/slow cyclist. ;)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Not your fault at all mate. Did you get his numberplate? Any witnesses? Any damage to you or your bike?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Sounds awful.

Sounds like there were a few witnesses around (the queue of cars).

I know it's a pain, but the police would be the best course of action.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Report it to the police immediately, if you haven't already.

There's a CCTV camera on the outside of the Wetherspoons, and one on the wall of the building to the left of the post office, near the red door/gate. Speak to the owners ASAP, before they destroy any recordings. Enquire about council CCTV there too.

Where was he going? did he jump the red light? Maybe he got caught on a camera there?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Simonb256 wrote:
    My front wheel hits his front bumper smack in the middle. I then bounce off the bonnet and land the right way up (surprisingly) and still clipped in.

You hit a car head on, went over the bonnet and landed back on your wheels still clipped in? :shock: I hope you got a round of applause for that!

Otherwise +1 to Ricks comment above.

Are both you and bike OK?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • It wasnt quite as extravagant as rolling over his bonnet and landing bakc on the wheels. As it was exactly head on, It was more akin to one of those drinking bird things, I headbutted the car and bounced back onto the wheels. So my front wheel never left the ground.

It was right opposite the entrance to spoons and sadly Im a regular (I live in the city centre there, thats my excuse), so I'll ask next time I'm in there.

I didnt get the plate, and there were a lot of witnesses due to the panto being on at the theatre.

I didn't both reporting it as theres no further injury to me or the bike (well theres a small cut on the tyre, but its not worth thinking about). The Police probably wouldnt do anything (as usual), so I just wrote it off as sh*t happens. I did get a laugh at the guy holding V-signs up to his windscreen and shouting at me. He was one of those 'gangsta' types, and I'm sure I'll see him again.
    "War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Don't just do it "next time you're there", phone them up and get them to keep the recording from the time of the collision, that's if you want anything to happen.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    You are a hell of a lot calmer than I would be if this had happened to me.
    As you couldn't get the plates I would definitely try to track down some security footage ASAP.

The troubling thing is, it sounds like this guy thought he was in the right.
    You may have got away very lucky in this instance but what happens next time he decides to go head on with another cyclist because he doesn't like queuing?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Topaxci wrote:
    The troubling thing is, it sounds like this guy thought he was in the right.

He was in the right - he has a car and car driver have rights you know - those bloody cyclists deserve all the can get
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666