45 to old to start ? NOT A CHANCE

Gpac65
Gpac65 Posts: 17
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
A wee story maybe to encourage others.

1 year ago preparing for 2nd discetomy in 2 years ,on lower back. I was feeling pretty low. Hadn't been able to play footie with lads or go running for almost 2 years and walking 100 yards had become a painful toil (i had been pretty active all my life playing any sport i could)

Friend suggested i should take up road cycling as a potential sport after recovery , as it was low impact, and he had been riding a road bike for a few years and had since cycled length of Scotland, and had a few Etape Caledionia's under his belt.

2 Weeks before going under the knife I passed local bike shop and decided to go in for a look. Firstly was amazed how cool all those bikes looked, followed quickly by a total sense of jeez those bikes look nothing like the 'racer' i had when i was a kid. However the flame was lit.

After much research with some 'roadie' friends and hours on line and two weeks of boredom and recovery I opted for a Focus Cayo Ltd Edition from Wiggle. Arrived three days later with pedals, lycra shoes, etc (in for penny in for a Grand - cough ).
I have to admit when i opened the box i was smitten and couldn't wait to get on it.

However several weeks of physio were in front and my therapist seemed reasonably calm after six weeks about me getting on the bike ( of course i lied about clip less pedals and it being a road bike).

Anyway wow, couldn't believe how light my bike was, however after hearing friends stories of a 'wee' 20 mile ride my heart sunk after REALLY REALLY struggling on a 5 mile ride (with some hills - I live in Scotland). However persistence and practice are the key, along with friends. My best mate rode many short VERY slow rides but kept on encouraging me.

I have since in just over a year and half progressed well (well i think so). Can now easily accomplish 30-50 mile rides and have had the displeasure of being dragged up the "Cairn O Mount" http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Cairn-OMount&qryMountainID=3954 by my friends shouting "come on fatty !! from the summit" as i finally dragged my sorry ass up to meet them.

I have equally had the pleasure of riding alongside none other than Lance Armstrong (for a few of the 30 miles) on his last twitter ride in Scotland, but more importantly meeting lots of enthusiastic and friendly riders. Next stop Etape Caledonia.

Any regrets? YES I didn't do this twenty years ago.

So to any other middle aged folks I say join in the fun you WILL be encouraged and welcomed and might even really enjoy it

Oh and finally on this meandering and windy post , if you haven't hit the deck at 2 mph because of your failure to unclip your pedals , then your not trying. :shock:

Comments

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Great story, well done!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Middle aged? Don't know what you're talking about, there are very few middle aged riders on here.

But lots in their 40s and 50s!

Great to hear your story, see you at the Etape C then (unless Santa is really really nice I'll be the fat guy on the Rusty Raleigh)
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Well said, I'm 44 and I bought my first road bike since childhood in August this year. I don't wish to hijack your thread, more add to the general encouragement if you don't mind.

After Christmas 2 years ago I was pushing 115kg, wearing 40 inch waist trousers and coming up to my 43rd birthday. I decided to start a diet and join a gym. I couldn't believe how quickly the weight dropped off me! To cut a long story short, it wasn't just my diet that was helping me loose weight - the 18cm tumour was shoving my stomach out of the way and taking all the calories!

2 years of high dose chemotherapy later I was still going the gym whenever I could. I was enjoying the Spin classes and decided to buy a road bike in August just gone. I've tried to go riding 2 or 3 times a week, I've done 40 mile routes and I'm entered for a 50 mile Sportive in April next year.

Mid 40s too late? It's just the beginning.
  • Gpac65
    Gizmodo, great reply , good luck with the Sportive. Hope your health issues are now under control.

Bompington - hope Santa suprises you, however have been passed by plenty of guys and girls on humble machinery, which proves the point its the engine that matters. Etape C - nervous, but cant wait.
  • Fantastic stories.

Just goes to show that cycling isnt just about the whippets out there racing :D As a fellow MAMIL and ex couch potato my only regret, like the OP, is that I didnt do this 20 years ago!
  • Hello, i'm in Peterhead, 47 now, but started cycling again in April this year, 46 then. Had an old raleigh racer, ten gears on the down tube, now upgraded to a specalized allez, just waiting for the snow and wind up here to settle down before getting out on it properly. Enjoy the ride!!
  • Great to hear your story.

44, turning 45 next month and a fellow NE Cayo owner.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12812465

Hope to see you out and about on the "Mount" !
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    More North-Easters on here than I've seen since I joined. I'm 49, been cycling for a year, and also wishing I had done it years ago. It's been a whirlwind journey of weight loss, dietary changes and lots and lots of miles. The Etape Caledonia this year was certainly a real highlight, and I'm entered again for next year.
  • Great story, and definitely giving me some inspiration - I'm 39, and just had a discectomy (last Friday). Everything hurts at the moment, my leg, my backside, and my back. I'm hoping that it is going to ease over the coming weeks.

I definitely want to get into road cycling as soon as I'm able, I was pretty active before it all went wrong, so I'm desperate to get active again. Its currently very frustrating.. :-(
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    You youngsters are making me feel old. I started more "serious" road cycling a couple of years ago when I was 62.

I'd had a very serious sporting background from around age 14 through to 22 when I did kayak racing. I packed up at 22 when I realised I'd better get my career back on track and earn some money. Then I got married and did the usual family cycling... tow paths, trails etc on mountain bikes, just very occasional stuff. Then I got the hankering to do some road riding. I got a hybrid to start with and then moved on to a couple of proper road bikes. I'm absolutely loving it. I'm retired (early) so can get out when I want. I spend part of the year in France and the area is great for cycling. I joined a club at the beginning of the year and I'm considering trying a TT in the new year (perhaps - if I'm really foolish). I've lost around 28 pounds in weight and feel pretty good.

So 45... too old... no way... good luck!
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Well done, keep it up!
    My dad is 57 and we did Leicester to Skegness this year - he was the guy setting the pace up front! When he was about 40 odd he did Leicester to Northumberland over 2 days, and he's always been a little 'heavy' shall we say.
    Great story, especially about riding with Lance - awesome!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • great inspirational stories all round on this thread i just wish i could get my sorry ass out on my road bike, went out on mountain bike last night and struggled with the cold (lung issues) i`m also 45 and had my road bike about 6 weeks.
  • Gpac65
    gazman1 - this time of year not much pleasure for anyone, regardless.

Stick with it, honest I really struggled on short runs to start with and thought i'd wasted my money on an expensive toy. It didn't seem like i was making much progress , but it comes slowly, bit by bit. See if you can find someone to ride with, it really helps.

Been truly great to read all the posts, a right christmas tonic. Cycling is definitely booming in my part of world,seems like all the 'young' ... cough cough guys are getting on their bikes.
  • Great thread Gpac, I too am 45 & only got my road bike in October after 27 years off the road, although I had done the usuall MTB down canal paths with the kids.
    I too am loving it and only regret not doing it earlier, after a few weeks I don't fear stairs anymore & actually skip up them.
    Just got my son a new MTB so he can get out more with me on the quieter roads, but aim to get him road bike once he gets his confidence up.
    Looking at doing Coast to Coast in June, 150 miles may not be much to the regulars on here but if you had said to me a couple of months ago to do that I would have laughed at you, now actually wishing the weeks to fly by.
    Out most nights even in the dark but taking it fairly easy just to get some miles in, but crave the weekends when I can get out in daylight for 20+ mile spins (bring on spring)
    Keep up the good work & enjoy the EC, just remember for every hill you go up there is a decnt waiting for you-)
    Steve
  • Great to see so many of you joining us , I am 54, have been an enthusiastic cyclist all my life, ran the London marathon at 40, took up skiing at 45. My problem, or should say concern, is for my 25 year old son that does nothing physical in his life. As a youngster he was always naturally slim, and never had to worry about what he eats. Now he is just beginning to put on weight. It scares me because I study health exercise and nutrition and I dont want to see him becoming one of the statistics that I am learning about. However I have found that telling people about the benefits, warning of the dangers, don't seem to make a difference. The change really does have to come from within. Keep the motivational strories coming, maybe one day they will inspire one person and it will have been worth it!
    "I do the research so you don't have to!"
    www.tonyharveytraining.com
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Gpac you're in a great part of country to enjoy your bike. Will keep an eye out for your Focus.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    My parents have recently become MAMIL's in the true sense of the word. They re 55 and 53 and started in late spring this year!! They re doing about 40-50 miles around Plymouth/Dartmoor most weekends and went and rode the Tourmalet and some other Pyreneean cols this summer (after some pillock in the bike shop told them they could never do it!).

I now have dilemas with myself about telling them not to sign up for 150mile sportives over Dartmoor next year, on the one hand I want them to enjoy the event and not bite off more than they can chew, or should I just let them enjoy the bliss of ignorance a bit more - thing is that because they re not over-awed by the numbers they tend to just get it done and enjoy it anyway!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • My bike will arrive 2 weeks before my 45th. Here's hoping I enjoy riding it as much as I have enjoyed shopping for it!

I'm a bit intimidated about starting out, falling off, traffic (living in South London by major roads) etc but looking forward to getting fitter and slimmer!
  • If you aren't scared of motorised vehicles, why not?

But, cycling is a very efficient way to move around, so it is crap as a way to lose weight. I'd still be running if I hadn't gone through the pain of ruined knees many years ago.

I reckon it takes about 3 times as much hard cycling, in hours, as running to burn the same amount of fat. Similarly, getting your pulse rate down takes less time running than on your bike
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    @ Lightning Tony: I share your concern for the younger generation, and you're right in saying you can't nag / persuade / scare people into a healthier lifestyle. They need to want to do something about it themselves.

I start to panic when I put on a few pounds over Christmas, and my trousers feel a bit too tight around the waist. Which gives me the motivation to eat less and ride more, and in a month it's gone.

I don't really understand how these massively obese people get to be that size. OK, I understand the physiology of it; eating 5000 Kcal a day and no exercise etc, but the psychology? It doesn't happen overnight. Why don't they stop eating crap at the trousers a bit too tight stage??

Can't complain about our two boys; always been active, and in spite of seeing me in lycra, one is showing some interest in road cycling!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Al Kidder wrote:
    If you aren't scared of motorised vehicles, why not?

But, cycling is a very efficient way to move around, so it is crap as a way to lose weight. I'd still be running if I hadn't gone through the pain of ruined knees many years ago.

I reckon it takes about 3 times as much hard cycling, in hours, as running to burn the same amount of fat. Similarly, getting your pulse rate down takes less time running than on your bike

Nonsense.
  • ddraver
    DavidJB wrote:
    Al Kidder wrote:

Nonsense.

I claim your nonsense is nonsense, Go Al!!!
    - @ddraver
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    ddraver wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    Al Kidder wrote:

Nonsense.

I claim your nonsense is nonsense, Go Al!!!

I refute your claim about my nonsense being nonsense.
  • Al Kidder wrote:

That's fine as I can definitely cycle at least 3 times further than I can run ;)
  • ddraver
    We ve had a few discussions about this on here and we ve arrived at a highly accurate, scientific ratio of approximately about 1:3:6 for running:MTBing:Road riding in terms of "effort"
    - @ddraver