Winter bike?

2»

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    be sure to wear your pads..

cause tarmac hurts when you land on it.. trust me roadbike+commuting+ice= me on floor with torrets hurting..
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I prefer riding trail when its icey. Besides - I think if I ride the road bike too much - it will turn me in to a girl, as you can get used to that sort of weight and rolling resistance.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I don't understand this winter bike nonsense. Summer can be equally wet sometimes, and if you go out and ride in the winter mud, CLEAN your bike after and MAINTAIN IT! Which in fairness, you should be doing all year anyway. Round here, some of the trails are wet from sept-april, so it's just not worth having a 'winter' bike, as it's wet for most of the year anyway!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    diy wrote:
    I just bought a road bike as my winter bike. The thinking being that when it pees it down all week, the trails will turn to poo and you just don't get the same exercise from sliding around in mud that you do in the summer.

My hr seems to drop 10bpm avg when riding with my winter tyres on compared to my summer tyres.
    Heart rates mean nothing to me. Fun is where it's at. Aside from that it seems to take more effort to slog through mud so that's exercise if that's what I was doing it for.

The downhill trails off the Surrey Hills ridge edge are especially fun, or just plain crazy.

Road - tarmac - boring - wet - miserable - get run over by lorries. Stuff that, give me mud on trails any day over that :D
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I always have to be training for something otherwise I'd sit at home and eat chips ;)
  • the Dark Peak gloop eats components
    ...amen to that!

In winter I just fit chunky tyres, like Nobby Nics / Panaracer Fire XC Pros, Stintered pads and a Neoguard. No need for a seperate bike!
  • the Dark Peak gloop eats components
    ...amen to that!

In winter I just fit chunky tyres, like Nobby Nics / Panaracer Fire XC Pros, Stintered pads and a Neoguard. No need for a seperate bike!
    I wasn't suggesting getting a winter bike because I can't be arsed to change tyres! I know people that have them and wondered what the general opinion was from the good/bad/ugly folk on here :)
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • I have 2 bikes.
    FS Carbon and an alloy hardtail (see signature).

My hardtail is more of my winter ride although I will still take the FS out if it is a longer or more technical ride.
    I actually prefer riding my hardtail when it is wet and slippy, find it more fun :D
  • diddyfunk
    diddyfunk Posts: 252
    I have three bikes and one of which is a dedicated single speed (see sig).

I change the ratio and tyres of the single speed in summer and use it to commute to work and then change the ratio and tyres in winter and use it as my dedicated winter bike for local trails (Epping Forest).

I personally love single-speeding and in winter when I get home covered in mud I do not have to tend to the bike in anyway and its fine to go straight out next time!

I dont understand the lower heart rate comment as my heart rate is always higher on my single speed in winter as it is harder with the mud!

Everyone has their own opinions but for simplicity and ease a singlespeed is the winter bike for me.
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
    08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg