Max tyre width with Mavic XM317

plugp7
plugp7 Posts: 298
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have XM 317 rims with Panaracer 2.1 XC Pros on my Orange P7. Mavic technical info advises tyre widths up to 2.1. I notice on the Orange 2012 site they spec Maxxis tyres 2.25 wide on a number of bikes. Anyone comment on using "oversize" tyres on 317 rims. Do they feel less stable than 2.1 tyres. Would like something with a little more volume without having to change the wheel set.
Comments please.
Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130

Comments

• A mate of mine runs Panaracer Rampage 2.35's on XM317's on an Orange 5 and has rolled the tyre off the rim a couple of times. I run a 2.25 Maxxis Ardent on an XM719 and occasionally feel it squirm.
    Personally I wouldn't do it.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I would guess it depends on the tyre - I think some come up narrow for their stated width. For what it is worth, I have run a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 StickE on my XC117s with no problems - but then I dont go as low on pressure or run tubless like many here might, which could cause problems that I dont see.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    edited December 2011
    apreading wrote:
    I would guess it depends on the tyre - I think some come up narrow for their stated width. For what it is worth, I have run a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 StickE on my XC117s with no problems - but then I dont go as low on pressure or run tubless like many here might, which could cause problems that I dont see.
    I sometimes run Kenda Kinetic 2.35 on my XM117 and don't see any problems. But on the side of my rims there is a limit stated of 2.3, don't know why their webby states 2.1?

Edit: Or was it 2.1 after all?
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Mate had 2.1s on 317s and they worked well, if slightly harsh at times. If you're looking for more volume without the width try some 2.25 Ardents they are tall and floaty but not particularly wide. Tall carcass, shallow tread.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Ardents are what I was looking at so will probably go for it.
    Thanx.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • i had a 2.3 Spesh Eskar and 2.2 Spesh Purgatory on my XM317's. the Purg was a big tyre so basically a 2.3 and they were both fine. i ran them about 30-35psi and they didnt feel like they were about to fall off.

they looked a little pinched but not much. i wouldnt go any bigger than 2.3 though.

just get some Maxxis 2.25's and you'll be fine!
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    i'v ran 2.5 michelin on my 317s with 35-40 psi. done two weeks in the alps no problems
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    386ka wrote:
    don't know why their webby states 2.1?

Cos they want to sell more 719s.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Northwind wrote:
    386ka wrote:
    don't know why their webby states 2.1?

Cos they want to sell more 719s.
    Probably... I checked my rims and what do you know, 2.3 it is!
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010