Who was the best Beatle?

2»

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I'd say John. Hindsight is marvellous and nearly 50 years on it's easy to say The Beatles were......whatever. But in their day they were a phenomenon that had only been seen before with Elvis and these were 4 guys from Liverpool. They changed the pop format and the song-writing format and everyone else then arguably came after them - Stones/Who/Kinks, all the 60's US acts etc. Arguably Bob Dylan and the Beatles were the greatest influences on pop music in the 60s and even now their legacy remains in songs and videos. How many ads/videos do you see that still use the 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' idea of flash cards or want a band to get some dramatic video/publicity? Get them playing on the roof of a building in a busy city
    M.Rushton
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    mrushton wrote:
    They changed the pop format and the song-writing format and everyone else then arguably came after them - Stones/Who/Kinks, all the 60's US acts etc.

Not arguing with your point on the Beatles but I would say that the Stones ripped off American artists rather than were influenced by the Beatles.
    The Stones ended up with their own style but it took a good few years first.
    PS:- I like the Beatles but prefer the Stones. And in my view, the Stones before the Who or Kinks although they were more original (I think :?: ).
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    mrushton wrote:
    I'd say John. Hindsight is marvellous and nearly 50 years on it's easy to say The Beatles were......whatever. But in their day they were a phenomenon that had only been seen before with Elvis and these were 4 guys from Liverpool. They changed the pop format and the song-writing format and everyone else then arguably came after them - Stones/Who/Kinks, all the 60's US acts etc. Arguably Bob Dylan and the Beatles were the greatest influences on pop music in the 60s and even now their legacy remains in songs and videos. How many ads/videos do you see that still use the 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' idea of flash cards or want a band to get some dramatic video/publicity? Get them playing on the roof of a building in a busy city

Dylan yes - a true innovator, enduring legend and an enigma. Elvis was a superb entertainer and had some outstanding songs but also some that were less than classic. The Beatles though were competant musicians and had great management/marketing that plugged into the zeitgiest of the age - hence my comparison to TakeThat. But really IMO a lot if their stuff is poor, uninteresting and quite hollow, none of their musical "journeys" took anyone anywhere unless they were on drugs. True they were the most popular of the Pop Acts around but their roots are questionable. I have tried to like the Beatles and superficially I get some of their music, but for me The Stones and especially The Kinks had/have a depth to them that is more real. Just my opinion.

BTW I also think Pink Flyod were SHEEEEIIITE..

Popcorn for sale in foyer:-)
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    TheStone wrote:
    I just don't get the beatles.

My dislike is probably made worse by the fact that everyone keeps going on about how great they are, but I just don't get it.

They couldn't sing, none of them. Their song writing is awful.

Paul McCartney, most overrated person in history?

I think they are brilliant. I like The Stones, The Who and The Kinks too.

The highlighted sentence is one of the most ridiculous to appear on here for some time. Personally not liking the Beatles is not the same as 'their song writing is awful'. In fact, I would be very interested to hear the justification for such a statement.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Both Lennon and McCartney would have been virtual unknowns as individuals, neither did anything remotely special after they split up (and please don't mention that childish drivel "Imagine" as proof of Lennon's genius).

Like Clough and Taylor, Morcombe and Wise or the Kray twins the whole was much greater than the sum of the parts, they brought something out in each other that neither managed to drag out as a solo artist.

And they pulled off the shrewdest move of all, they split up at just the right time.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Not really a fan of the Beatles but I have to admit they did write some nice tunes - they just seem a bit anodyne.

I don't know why I don't really go for them though - maybe it's just because everyone is expected to like them that I never did. I am a fan of The Who and the Kinks - to be honest it's probably as much to do with me spending my youth as a mod as much as anything to do with the music.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    daviesee wrote:
    mrushton wrote:
    They changed the pop format and the song-writing format and everyone else then arguably came after them - Stones/Who/Kinks, all the 60's US acts etc.

Not arguing with your point on the Beatles but I would say that the Stones ripped off American artists rather than were influenced by the Beatles.
    The Stones ended up with their own style but it took a good few years first.
    PS:- I like the Beatles but prefer the Stones. And in my view, the Stones before the Who or Kinks although they were more original (I think :?: ).

The stones did not rip off American artists, they brought them to a wider audience and increased their record sales massively.
    So, apart from recording a Lennon-McCartney song (I Wanna Be Your Man) and producing Satanic Majesties Request as an answer to Sgt Pepper and You Can't Always Get What You Want as a reply to Hey Jude, I guess they weren't influenced by the Beatles :roll:
    Bands ans musicians are influenced by one another and are willing to admit as much. The 60's were so rich in original musical talent that songwriters were bouncing off one anothers' ideas all the time but each had their own style.

It isn't so much about who was better than who, but what your own preference happens to be. The Beatles were, IMHO, excellent musicians and songwriters. If you need proof, go and see The Bootleg Beatles - the progression from She Loves You to Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields in 4 years was phenomenal.
  • I shall reveal the truth.

Lennon was/is hopelessly overrated. McCartney was/is the only genius of the band. Harrison - meh. Starr - crap drummer and a blert to boot.

The best bands of the era were of course the Kinks and The Who.

Pink Floyd were genius until their genius left the band (after first album) and have been shite ever since.

Fred West was a clever red herring.

Quango Tackhammer was the original drummer in the Quarrymen.