Brake Squel...

Kaise
Kaise Posts: 2,498
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
.....on cars is minimised by coating the back of the pads with Copperslip and the chances of brake squel are massively reduced, can this be applied to mtb hrdraulic disc brakes?

just a quick question thats all, noticed the strokers squelling on sunday and thought i'd ask

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited December 2011
    Someone will be along in just a minute to tell you that Copaslip migrates through the backplate and contaminates the pad but I've used it on cars, bikes and bicycles since the 1970s and never had a problem with it.

Having said that it's not always the solution to brake squeal but it does help. The cause of the squeal is a constant slip-stick action between the pads, calipers & rotors that causes vibration, similar to a bow on a violin.
  • Kaise
    Having used it on car brakes for 15 years, my father using it on them way before that and in more recent years using it on the rear of aircraft undercarriage brake surfaces i thought it would be fine.

by migrating, i take it you mean some people a just careless and get it on the the braking surface?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    If you look at the backplate of an MTB brakepad it's not solid there are holes in it where you can see the back of the friction material. Allegedly Copaslip can migrate through the holes and onto the rotor side of the pad.

I guess if you slather it on and get the pads up to 2000 degrees F it could migrate but IME a smear works every time.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    used it on cars for years never used it on an MTB and never needed to.

most bike brake makers say not to use it due to contamination.

read the topics in the FAQs. and work out what is the cause.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Kaise
    nicklouse wrote:

all of the causes in the FAQ have been checked and the brakes are new, i was just asking re copaslip thats all.
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    I've used it on a set of Elixirs without any trouble. The workshop section of What Mountain Bike (issue 127) has a section on reducing bike noise, including using copper slip on the back of the pads. As long as you don't use to much and are careful when removing/replacing the pads, shouldn't have any contamination problems.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Kaise wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

all of the causes in the FAQ have been checked and the brakes are new, i was just asking re copaslip thats all.

so what type of Squeel is it then?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The 'Squel' type apparently.....

(Beat you Cooldad)....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kaise
    a resonating one

copaslip applied last night, no squel, simples

bet it last about a month then i'll get annoyed!
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Its only right that it squeals though isn't it :D