Front battery powered light with beam cutoff

beegee
beegee Posts: 160
edited December 2011 in Commuting general
Hi

I want to buy a front cycle light for a friend. The light must be battery powered and most importantly must have a beam shaped for riding on road so with a flat cutoff like a car headlight. I have bought the Phillips LED light for myself (and incidentally it ticks all the boxes) but it costs about £90 and I don't want to spend so much on my friend. Are there any ? The only oher ones I have found are the B & M Ixon speed and the QLite QL-269. Recommendations would be appreciated.

It is important that the beam has a nice cut off because she lives in Copenhagen and there are lots of cycle paths and to ride with a dazzling beam is considered not nice.

Comments

• Poacher
    Poacher Posts: 165
    Not much help at the moment, but if you have any nearby Lidl stores, keep an eye on forthcoming offers via their website. Roughly three months ago they had a battery lighting set for about £9 (including batteries). The rear light wasn't remarkable, but the front light had exactly the beam pattern your friend needs, and was more than adequately bright - comparable to the IQ Cyo I run off a Schmidt dynamo hub.
    Ceps, morelles, trompettes de mort. Breakfast of champignons.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I use a Magicshine on the road. It has a rubber O ring mount on it so if I'm feeling nice I can dip it so it doesn't dazzle people, then put it back up do I can see where I'm going.
    I'm not happy dipping it (if the road has lots of potholes) I just cover the top/right hand side temporarily with my hand as I'm riding. Not ideal but does the job.
  • The only road-specific beam pattern I have ever come across is the Exposure Strada.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I use a Magicshine on the road. It has a rubber O ring mount on it so if I'm feeling nice I can dip it so it doesn't dazzle people, then put it back up do I can see where I'm going.
    I'm not happy dipping it (if the road has lots of potholes) I just cover the top/right hand side temporarily with my hand as I'm riding. Not ideal but does the job.

Waaay to much spill for Copenhagen - magicshines are off road lights - got one for my MTB, and they have to be angled right down, but in a cycle friendly place, where laws with bike lights are different - nope.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    If you can't find one with a considerate beam pattern, could you make a cutout that would shape it to the pattern you need? Something similar to car headlamp deflectors when using a RH drive car where people drive on the right.

Covering a Magicshine by hand cuts the beam off pretty well, I'd think it would also work with less bright lights.
    I can see why you might not want to be riding somewhere busy with one hand over half your light though :mrgreen:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The MS clone at £33 could be the option:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-waterpr ... -904482510

It has a very bright and small hotspot, which when angled down on the ground lights a good sized patch up, then stops abruptly. Outside the hotspot you get a much less intense flood which is good for picking up peripheral objects.

Very nicely made, and superb price.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When I run the MS copy linked to by SS on the road I use the simple expediant of a piece of elecrical tape across the top of the lens, lots of light, and sharp horizontal cut off - sorted.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.