What's your economic and climate change stance?

pb21
pb21 Posts: 2,171
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
I was thinking last night and realised I don’t know of any left wing man made climate change deniers, I’m sure there must be some but can’t think of any. I reckon there is a strong correlation between being left or right wing and your stance on climate change, so though i would ask the question on here.
Mañana

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It's a bit black & white that set of options. I'm on the right politically, recognise the man-made contribution to GW but don't attribute it all down to our activities. For the purpose of your poll I'll go for the closest anyway.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    There will be a correlation - there has to be. The generalisation is that the left will believe in more industry regulation, the right in less regulation. The latter clearly clashes with man made climate change.

Ultimately, the right won't want to believe it (though deep down most probably do believe in it but would rather the future faced the consequences of it rather than have us face the consequences of mitigating it now).

Another aspect of the question would be who is more likely to believe in man made climate change; scientists or non scientists. Since most non scientists only know what the media tells them, they don't actually know anything given that the media can't be trusted to tell you the price of a packet of crisps.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What's economically left wing?

State ownership of everything?
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Weird poll options!

The elephant in the room is not climate change but the ever increasing population! Naturally we need to be more efficient with our energy use and utilise better, renewable sources. Lets say you cut carbon by 20%, but then the world population goes and grows by another 50% then what?
  • pb21
    Hmm someone’s chosen ‘left wing not manmade climate change’ care to elaborate?

I reckon the correlation, if there is one, is not so much a result of being left wing and therefore more inclined for state intervention (but that will have an effect), but rather being left wing and believing man can, collectively, be capable of climate change, go hand in hand.

As for the definition of 'left wing' wiki sums it up quite succinctly:
    In politics, Left, left-wing and leftist generally refer to support for social change to create a more egalitarian society.[1][2] They usually involve a concern for those in society who are disadvantaged relatively to others and an assumption that there are unjustified inequalities (which right-wing politics view as natural or traditional) that should be reduced or abolished
    Mañana
  • pb21
    sfichele wrote:
    Weird poll options!

The elephant in the room is not climate change but the ever increasing population! Naturally we need to be more efficient with our energy use and utilise better, renewable sources. Lets say you cut carbon by 20%, but then the world population goes and grows by another 50% then what?

I think the poll options are quite clear, you should fit in one of them.

You seem to be implying that you agree that man influences the climate? If so do you consdier yourself to be more right or left wing?
    Mañana
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    CiB wrote:
    It's a bit black & white that set of options. I'm on the right politically, recognise the man-made contribution to GW but don't attribute it all down to our activities. For the purpose of your poll I'll go for the closest anyway.

+1
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • pb21
    daviesee wrote:
    CiB wrote:

+1

I dont think anyone is suggesting that the entirety of climate change is man made, just that our activities have a significant impact on it.
    Mañana
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    You forgot to add the option for "F*ck 'em if they can't take a joke"
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Another aspect of the question would be who is more likely to believe in man made climate change; scientists or non scientists. Since most non scientists only know what the media tells them, they don't actually know anything given that the media can't be trusted to tell you the price of a packet of crisps.

I'm sure the Daily Mail would be able to tell us all about factors that may affect the price of your packet of crisps (Surely "price of your house"? - Ed.), though. And whether or not crisps cure/cause cancer (delete as applicable).

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    pb21 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    CiB wrote:

+1

I dont think anyone is suggesting that the entirety of climate change is man made, just that our activities have a significant impact on it.

But then you get into the whole debate about how significant.
    And here we go again.....................................
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • pb21
    daviesee wrote:
    But then you get into the whole debate about how significant.
    And here we go again.....................................

How significant I suppose in relation to the poll question is, significant enough to require a change in our behaviour and expectations.
    Mañana
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    CiB wrote:

+1
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    <object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RFZrzg62Zj0?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RFZrzg62Zj0?version=3&feature=player_embedded&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Scrumple wrote:
    <object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RFZrzg62Zj0?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RFZrzg62Zj0?version=3&feature=player_embedded&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Good point.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Pross wrote:
    CiB wrote:

+1
    +1
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • pb21
    Scrumple wrote:

Intelligent people capable of independent thought?
    Mañana
  • Scrumple
    edited December 2011
    pb21 wrote:
    Intelligent people capable of independent thought?

My opion is as valid as yours.

I don't care - on a cycle forum.

Seriously, this is just pointless. The earth udergoes huge climate change over time. We are just talking about quality of life, and whatever we do the Chinese and India are belching out pollutants.

As someone with an LLB and an MSC I choose not to care.

Stick your po faced, pious blather up where the sun doesn't shine. It may stop your farting, which doesn't help the planet either...
  • I'm right wing, I don't believe in man mad climate change and I think we need out of Europe.

I.e. Merkel and Sarcasm you can stick it up your collective jaxies sideways!
    "Commuterised" Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2004.
    FCN #7 - Skinny tyres and Cleats.
    1962 Rory O'Brien Roadie Lightweight. (but heavy by todays standards!)
    FCN #4
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    FCN # 1/2 - Cobbly racing tyres and MTB cleats.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple wrote:
    Stick your po faced, pious blather up where the sun doesn't shine. It may stop your farting, which doesn't help the planet either...

reverse-1311246606_top_gear__jeremy_clarkson_thumbup.gif
  • Economics and climate change can be summed as:

"Everytime it rains
    It rains pennies from heaven....
    Well it did; but now
    It's bloomin' roasty all the time
    Me pennies have dried up"
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Scrumple
    Heal-The-World-prince-michael-jackson-7998339-484-362.jpg
  • pb21
    Scrumple wrote:
    Scrumple wrote:

Ah so you do agree that humans are causing climate change!

:wink:
    Mañana
  • Scrumple
    gotcha

3050527-mature-woman-seated-on-the-beach-fishing-at-the-moment-she-s-got-a-bite.jpg