Fitting a chainguide - need a spacer. I think.

milko9000
milko9000 Posts: 533
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Fitting my old Blackspire Stinger to my new SB-66. It wasn't fitted straight away because I had to wait to get the ISCG05 tabs for the frame. Anyway, they're fitted now - here's what I did. Replaced a blank that came with the frame, with the tab adapter - all seems to be the same thickness, naturally enough. Then the Shimano BB70 went back on. Then the chainguide, and then the Shimano XT crankset. I was already running it as a double and bash, so my hope was that this would just slot together neatly.

Unfortunately, there isn't enough clearance between the chainguide and the cranks. Seems like I need some spacers in there, probably at least 2mm and maybe more. When I look online for these things they seem to be rated in thickness but not in diameter or compatibility. eg: Hope bottom bracket spacer or Gusset BB axle spacer. I guess I need something that'll stand up to being in a lot of contact without wearing out the things its touching? Are those things I linked to what I'm meant to be using? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well where do you want it to fit?

and do you have a Gusset crankset? (no).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Where do I want it to fit. You've lost me there. On my bike?

I don't have a Gusset crankset but I was searching for spacers relating to the BB not the crankset, which I daresay now is my error. Those were what came up. And none were coming up for the M770 except as part of the complete BB set.

OK, searching for an XT spacer isn't going great - I can get them from the USA, but in the UK only lockring ones seem available. Am I doing this wrong or something?
  • Just an HTII one, the Hope one will have the same diameter. Thickness, all Shim ones I can see are 2.5mm and I know there's a road hope (same diameter) that's 1mm thinkness - which I need when I can be assed to order off CRC.
  • The only Shimano HTII one I can find is at Madison at £8 for an XTR one. 2.5mm would probably be fine to be honest but that seems a bit rich and obviously stacking 1mm ones would give me more flexibility. I'm confused! The only Hope spacers I can see on CRC is that one I linked in the original post, and since that got a somewhat mocking reply from Nick (no hard feelings like, I'm sure it's a dumbass post I made somehow) I'm wanting reassurance before I order the thing that it's actually going to work.
  • Don't forget all this is messing with your chainline.

XTR pre-load work differently to XT so not sure if that XTR would be the same thing?

Anyhow I wouldn't bother - you can buy a whole Deore BB set that'll come with 4 2.5mm spacers.... Or LBS and be nice they may give to you for free - I've got some, but I'll never be assed to buy a stamp and find your address ect. sorry.
  • nicklouse
    a BB spacer is a BB spacer is a BB spacer. (they all work to the same standard. see parktools).

but a crank spacer will not fit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Well, according to Park Tools I shouldn't need any spacers with a 73mm shell and the ISCG tabs. But anyway, that's not the case. I guess I shall order me some of those Hope ones. Thanks for the advice Chunkers and Nick!

Now no doubt to find that this messes something else up that relied on the chainset being where it is and not a mm or two further out.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    am i missunderstanding you here. if so then i appologise..

you say 73mm bb shell..
    has it got any spacers on it?.. someone please correct me if i am wrong here but aint a 73mm bb supposed to have one 2.5mm spacer on the drive side... according to shimano they do.
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 607882.pdf
  • So it says there and on Park. but if it does, it ain't spacing enough for this to work. Or there's something I could've taken off which would make this all work fine. But I didn't spot it last night. Maybe it stuck to the cranks or something when dismantling it all? Dang, guess I'll be looking for that tonight then!
  • nicklouse
    milko9000 wrote:
    Well, according to Park Tools I shouldn't need any spacers with a 73mm shell and the ISCG tabs. But anyway, that's not the case. I guess I shall order me some of those Hope ones. Thanks for the advice Chunkers and Nick!

Now no doubt to find that this messes something else up that relied on the chainset being where it is and not a mm or two further out.
    No. One spacer with a shimano crankset. Or a bb mount device.