Windtunnel testing?

Eric Cartman
Eric Cartman Posts: 23
edited December 2011 in Amateur race
Have any of you done this or at least know how much it costs? I thought it was really expensive however i've been approached to join a race team for next year and this is one of the enticements being offered. Was just wondering if this sounded like a bullshit promise as i dont want to burn bridges with my current club who have been very supportive over the last year - if i leave them i'm going to feel like a d1ck who has taken advantage of their help and kindness, so i really do not want to do this on the back of unrealistic expectations of what the new club could offer!

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Expensive, yes. There's some cost information here...
    http://www.drag2zero.co.uk/index.php?pa ... es-booking
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    At £900 a pop, I would snap the arm off the team that offered that. Don't really need to burn bridges with the club, just tell them why you would prefer to join the team, I am sure they will understand.
  • Wind Tunnel testing ... ahahahahah! Shortcuts will get you nowhere! You are being taken for a ride and you will massivley lose the respect of all in your current club. They will snigger behind your back and say that you have ideas above your station! Crikey.. Folk have been doing faster times for years without this sort of crap. Jump on the TT forum and you'll find a raft of articles in the archive that predate tribars and carbon AND folk were going faster than many these days. Man up and get them miles in softlad

Gary Dighton won the BBAR on a diet of 400 miles a week without a pulse meter or tribars - read this and realise that you are wrong

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/ind ... opic=25500
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Have any of you done this or at least know how much it costs? I thought it was really expensive however i've been approached to join a race team for next year and this is one of the enticements being offered. Was just wondering if this sounded like a bullshit promise as i dont want to burn bridges with my current club who have been very supportive over the last year - if i leave them i'm going to feel like a d1ck who has taken advantage of their help and kindness, so i really do not want to do this on the back of unrealistic expectations of what the new club could offer!

it may not be a bullshit promise as such, but you have to wonder:

a) how much wind tunnel time you will actually get
    b) whether you will be able to make any practical improvements as a result
    c) whether these changes will actually make any 'real world' difference

Personally, I'd tend to go along with thick tester's view...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    I can't comment on the wind tunnel testing but I'd be surprised if any club got upset at a member moving on to better their career and most see it as something positive. You can always stay as a 2nd claim member of your current club.
  • Wind Tunnel testing ... ahahahahah! Shortcuts will get you nowhere! You are being taken for a ride and you will massivley lose the respect of all in your current club. They will snigger behind your back and say that you have ideas above your station! Crikey.. Folk have been doing faster times for years without this sort of crap. Jump on the TT forum and you'll find a raft of articles in the archive that predate tribars and carbon AND folk were going faster than many these days. Man up and get them miles in softlad

Gary Dighton won the BBAR on a diet of 400 miles a week without a pulse meter or tribars - read this and realise that you are wrong

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/ind ... opic=25500

I didnt make any comment on the merits or otherwise of wind tunnels for training, nor think they are a shortcut, I was just asking if this was an unrealistic promise being made by a club seeking to attract riders they think show a bit of potential.
    Pross wrote:
    I can't comment on the wind tunnel testing but I'd be surprised if any club got upset at a member moving on to better their career and most see it as something positive. You can always stay as a 2nd claim member of your current club.

I didnt realise that was possible, will explore that further.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I didnt make any comment on the merits or otherwise of wind tunnels for training, nor think they are a shortcut, I was just asking if this was an unrealistic promise being made by a club seeking to attract riders they think show a bit of potential.

It really depends on who they are, I would have thought for tunnel time to be part of the deal, they are big into TT-ing, and there are not that many TT teams, and only one I know of that might be remotely give free tunnel time, though I still believe that would be highly doubtful.

Who are the team, PM me if you want, might be able to give you an insight to the team if I know of them.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    Pross wrote:

I didnt realise that was possible, will explore that further.

Yep, you can be a member of numerous clubs but you can only race for your first claim club.