Schwalbe Performance line and tubeless

spongtastic
spongtastic Posts: 2,651
edited October 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I know that the Evo line Schwalbe tyres ( including Rons, although they say they don't) work with Stans rims and sealant, but has anybody tried using the cheaper Performance line?
Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?

Comments

• baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    You can use them but they are a looser fit on the rim so are a swine to get seated even with a compressor.
  • I know that the Evo line Schwalbe tyres ( including Rons, although they say they don't) work with Stans rims and sealant, but has anybody tried using the cheaper Performance line?

I bought a 2016 Niner RLT 9 steel frame gravel bike and it came with Schwalbe G-One Performance Line tires (700c x 35) and Niner alloy house brand rims. As was said, the fit is loose but I converted to tubeless after 2 tries. The first try seemed to take, but after a few hours one tire was flat and off the bead. The other took 24 hours, but ended up in the same f'ed up state. The LBS where I bought my bike did the original tubeless setup (2 layers of Stan's yellow tape), but I don't think they used much sealant. I've never owned a road bike of any type, so I just went with their setup. When they deflated and deseated (that's how loose they are, I thought about adding another two layers of rim tape, but thought I'd try more sealant first. I added 1.5 oz and reseated one tire with my floor pump, but the other required my compressor (and removing the valve stem). For 2 days I occasionally rolled the tire around horizontally and vertically and they maintained the pressure I put in them, 45psi (the minimum recommended pressure for the tire). I pumped each up to 50psi (the pressure I'm going to use as a starting point for riding) and they held it overnight. So, nothing definitive because I haven't ridden the bike yet (I'm waiting for pedals to arrive) so take it for what it's worth.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Hi All.

I did some Rocket Rons performance folding and to be honest found them very easy to do tubeless, mind they came on the bike, so had been on the rims for a couple of weeks so had been already been seated, the only thing I did notice was a little bit of a porous side wall but once sealed no problems been on the bike well over six months and I ride 70+ km a week.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Evo have a slightly porous sidewall as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.