Middleburn ISIS Duo RS8 bottom bracket advice

hoojammyflip
hoojammyflip Posts: 40
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Do these cranks wear out over time, or has the ISIS standard changed slightly? Can anyone recommend an optimal bottom bracket to me, as this is starting to get expensive, trying to find one which fits?

I had a FSA titanium bottom bracket, 68/108, which fitted perfectly, but the bearings died. I have tried a Truvativ Gigapipe SL which was nearly OK, but only got up to about 25Nm before the right hand crank hit its shoulder. The left hand crank was fine. I have now tried a FSA Platinum, and it can literally be done up with my fingers so that the right hand crank hits the shoulder of the bottom bracket with 10Nm.

Should the arms pull up to the stops on the spindle when correctly installed? I never did this on the Ti FSA Platinum which I had, and it felt like 30Nm or so when putting them on. They never rocked, and felt completely solid.

Anyone tried a ISIS Raceface, as it sounds like they come up large and require some brute force to get things together.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ISIS is ISIS is ISIS. there are only 3 axle lengths. yes it works on a taper and stops.

so what actually is your issue? ISIS bolts need to be about eg Race Face® 480 in-lb 50 plus Nm or Truvativ® 384-420 in-lbs 45plus Nm just tighten yours more.

Or your canks are dead.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown