Storm in a D Cup?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Should a couple of women been included on the list for SPOTY even though most people have never heard of them?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Should a couple of women been included on the list for SPOTY even though most people have never heard of them?

Probably. There were definitely some women who's sporting achievements this year are better than some of the men nominated.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited December 2011
    I think Chrissie Wellington should have been nominated. But then I've been saying that for three years.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Yes, and you could argue a good case for them against some of the finalists selected.
    Amir Khan's name looks a tad misplaced now?
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I doubt that many sports women are a D cup.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Less about the sex of the person. But I do think they should have 1 nomination per a sport. Perhaps have it so if a man and woman from the space sport have similar acheivements 1 of either sex can be nominated.

I do find it silly that so many golfers and crickets are niminated. I like both sports but I still think they are over represented in SPOTY.

Don't agree that a quote of men and woman should be nominated. I cant name any woman who could be nominated but that is more my ignorance that me saying All men are sporting gods. Who should have been on the shortlist out of interest?
  • rick_chasey
    I'd say Mark Cavendish, Alastair Cook, Mo Farah, Kath Grainger, Dai Greene, Rory McIlroy, Victoria Pendleton, Sarah Stevenson, Sam Warburton,Ian Bell is a fair list.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I don't think eating one another's poo counts as a sport... :shock:
  • asprilla
    I'd say Mark Cavendish, Alastair Cook, Mo Farah, Kath Grainger, Dai Greene, Rory McIlroy, Victoria Pendleton, Sarah Stevenson, Sam Warburton,Ian Bell is a fair list.

And Chrissie Wellington, obviously.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Golf is not a sport - it is at best a pastime
  • rick_chasey
    Golf is not a sport - it is at best a pastime

Yeah.

But without a golfer it wouldn't be sports personality, right?
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    This was raised on Question Time last week. Interesting debate.

Is it about voting for a 'public figure' or recognising sporting achievement?

Personally, it seems quite political, and Chrissie Wellington should have won it at least once in the last 4 years, let alone be nominated.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I don't know if there should be more women but there seems to be several exceptions simply due to their sport not being all that popular (Brownlee brothers come to mind).
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    amazingly Zara Phillips has won it.

amazingly Carl Fogarty has not.
  • The nominations came from the newspapers. The same papers that are crowing about the "BBC's sexism".

But the idea that golf is a sport and that anyone who plays it has a personality ...
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    amazingly Zara Phillips has won it.

amazingly Carl Fogarty has not.

If we're talking about personality, Guy Martin would wipe the floor... :twisted:
    FCN 2 to 8
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    kelsen wrote:

Oooh, good use of lateral thinking there (though it worries me that you would think about that - most of us are trying to forget it!) :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • suzyb
    kelsen wrote:
    No but aparently it is a medical treatment http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15113440
  • tailwindhome
    I do find it silly that so many golfers and crickets are niminated. I like both sports but I still think they are over represented in SPOTY.

Don't know anything about cricket - presumably the cricketers are among the handful of nominees who I've never heard of.

Setting aside silly arguments over wether or not Golf is a sport (it is) it has been a great year for British golf. Two major winners each with there own 'come back' story and Luke Donald installed as World Number One.

Personally I don't think any of the women mentioned should be on the SPOTY list. They haven't done anything to justify inclusion. I'd go further and suggest that the list should be cut from 10 to 5 as there's fair bit of padding there anyway.

Cav, McIlroy, Clarke.

Really struggling to think of anyone else who isn't just making up the numbers and Cav should be a mile ahead of the rest
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • asprilla
    Personally I don't think any of the women mentioned should be on the SPOTY list. They haven't done anything to justify inclusion. I'd go further and suggest that the list should be cut from 10 to 5 as there's fair bit of padding there anyway.

Chrissie Wellington has been Ironman champion in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 and only missed 2010 because of illness. She holders just about every long course world record and has never, ever, lost a professional long course race. Ever.

She utterly dominates her sport
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • tailwindhome
    ^

And fair play to her. Thing is....nobodies watching.

I'm sure there are many examples of acheivement in all sorts of sports, both male and female, that the public aren't aware of. It's not fair but that's life.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Asprilla wrote:
    Chrissie Wellington has been Ironman champion in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 and only missed 2010 because of illness. She holders just about every long course world record and has never, ever, lost a professional long course race. Ever.

She missed 2010 due to illness. Lightweight!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • kelsen
    Asprilla wrote:

Aren't triathlons just events for people who aren't very good at any one sport?

:twisted:
  • suzyb
    ^

I'm sure there are many examples of acheivement in all sorts of sports, both male and female, that the public aren't aware of. It's not fair but that's life.
    No body watches golf. They just forget to switch the channel when it comes on and fall asleep 5 minutes into it leaving it on the the duration :wink:
  • kelsen
    suzyb wrote:
    ^

No body watches golf. They just forget to switch the channel when it comes on and fall asleep 5 minutes into it leaving it on the the duration :wink:

Robin Williams on Golf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Setting aside silly arguments over wether or not Golf is a sport (it is) it has been a great year for British golf.

OK, you started it. No it isn't :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    It is a sport. A really sh*t sport.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    ^

So it's actually Most Popular Celebrity (Sport) Of The Year. Exactly why it's a waste of space.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome
    rjsterry wrote:
    ^

And fair play to her. Thing is....nobody's watching.

So it's actually Most Popular Celebrity (Sport) Of The Year. Exactly why it's a waste of space.

That's exactly what it is....

"Awarded to the sportsperson "whose actions have most captured the public's imagination""

Sorry girl's but you didn't do enough to make the list
  • I've said this before and I'll say it again. There were women who were one vote short of making the shortlist, a more balanced selection panel might have made the difference (please don't tell me that Nuts and Zoo have great sports sections, at the end of the day they are lads mags and are focussed on those interests). Yes, as a woman in sport I find it frustrating that not a single woman made the cut, but a decision I would accept if I felt that it had been made fairly. For what it's worth - I think that Chrissie Wellington, Keri Anne Payne or Rebecca Adlington could all have justified a place. Not everyone may have heard of them, but then I hadn't heard of 2 of the golfers!
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's just ignorant to say Wellington shouldn't be on the list.
    Three times world champion in a discipline where a fast race is over eight hours of hard competition
    ? And she regained her title after being injured.

And I've seem her win her event and hang around to welcome in the last person to finish - eight hours later with a smile on her face. Not many pro athletes would do that.