Another bike stolen in Kingston

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,773
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
A very good friend of mine has just had his bike stolen. Over a locked 6' gate and then took the shed door off it's hinges. He must have been watched putting the bike away.
Please don't make it easy for the thieving little f@#*ers.
When he sends me a picture I'll put it on the stolen bikes thread. In the meantime if anyone is offered a medium black and grey Spesh Hardrock Sport please let me know.

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    the wife's bike got chored last night in Walton.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    They lifted a Lardrock over a gate?! :shock:

Seriously, we can only hope this happened during the theft:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPC-PSevHVU

B**tards!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Must insure mine. will be keeping my best bike in the house at all times I think.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @Veronese - you got PM, fella.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    bails87 wrote:
    They lifted a Lardrock over a gate?! :shock:
    Not quite the same, but my cousin had a Landrover Discovery stolen by it being lifted over a 4foot high brick wall......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    cjcp wrote:
    I think I've replied. But the reply seems to be sitting in the outbox, might be an ie6 problem,
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    I think I've replied. But the reply seems to be sitting in the outbox, might be an ie6 problem,

I 'think' it 'sits' in the outbox until it's been read.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    bastardo's!

im in the process of "toughening" my shed up at the moment, pictures to follow (when im done)

hope you find the bike
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • veronese68
    As somebody said the thing to do is to make it hard enough that they won't bother. Or, as another person told me to make it harder to steal than your neighbours. Which is a bit callous, but the same principle. Make it hard enough that they move along.
    I think having security devices that will seriously injure tea leaves should be allowed. If they're not doing wrong they won't get hurt.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I think having security devices that will seriously injure tea leaves should be allowed. If they're not doing wrong they won't get hurt.

Unless it's a kid who's kicked his football over the fence, or the police looking for a thief. "Maybe he's hiding in this shed sarge..." *boom*.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    You take all the fun out of it Bails
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • veronese68
    I don't really see a kid looking for a football or the police taking a shed door off it's hinges. I'm not saying blow up anyone that wanders into your garden. Mind you, some of the door to door types....
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    someone once told me run 1" wide timber in strips across the bottom of your fence with 4" nails sticking through the wood. throw a bit of carpet over the strips an leave it alone...eventually grass will grow on the carpet so it will be basically invisible. Someone decides to jump over your fence - weight goes onto carpet which pushes nails through carpet an into the tootsies of naughty person.

i've thought about wiring a car ignition coil to my sheds front door, that should wake the swines up
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    For a garage, how about wiring up the the "T" handle via a transformer. Take down the current and voltage enough to give a rather nasty shock, just enough to be able to hear the high pitched yelp though the triple glazing and above the x factor final. Obviously need to change the opening rods to wooden (or carbon) and have some sort of "fail safe" so you dont grab hold of it while it is live. Maybe unlocking the back door switches it off.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"