Am I doing something wrong?

brucey72
brucey72 Posts: 1,086
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
I have a question - in the old forum when I opened a link it would open in a seperate tab but it doesn't seem to be doing this now. I was looking through someones flickr photos in the 'For Sale' section but then wanted to return to the forum. In the past I would have simply closed the tab but now I have to keep on going 'back' which was really annoying as I had gone through about 5-6 photos so ended up closing the whole thing and re-opening bikeradar.

I am pretty computer illiterate so am I actually doing something wrong when opening a link or is this just the way it now works? Apologies if this has already been covered but I did a search and found nothing.

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    brucey72 wrote:
    I have a question - in the old forum when I opened a link it would open in a seperate tab but it doesn't seem to be doing this now. I was looking through someones flickr photos in the 'For Sale' section but then wanted to return to the forum. In the past I would have simply closed the tab but now I have to keep on going 'back' which was really annoying as I had gone through about 5-6 photos so ended up closing the whole thing and re-opening bikeradar.

I am pretty computer illiterate so am I actually doing something wrong when opening a link or is this just the way it now works? Apologies if this has already been covered but I did a search and found nothing.
    The link on any web page can be set to open in a new tab, but by default it does not. It's up to the web site programmer to set "target=_blank on the link. So it's nothing you've done.

However, if you Right Mouse Click on a link, you will get the option to Open in New Tab.
  • brucey72
    THanks Gizmondo, I hadnt realised you could "right click" so thats helpful. I think it would have been better if it still automatically opened in a seperate tab though.
  • I find this annoying too.

When I complained about it at the time of the change the Webmaster (or whoever it was) suggested clicking the wheel between the two mouse buttons as this automatically forces the link to open in a new window.
  • AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG?

I'm a bloke, 'course I am, ask the missus. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Gizmodo
    I find this annoying too.

When I complained about it at the time of the change the Webmaster (or whoever it was) suggested clicking the wheel between the two mouse buttons as this automatically forces the link to open in a new window.
    Generally it's called the scroll wheel. Although when they first came out we christened them the "clitoris" for obvious reasons.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476

So between this and all the spam............seems like the "upgraded" software that we waited a whole week for with no
    forum is proving a complete success!!
  • Gizmodo

So between this and all the spam............seems like the "upgraded" software that we waited a whole week for with no
    forum is proving a complete success!!
    Don't forget the "alleged" disappearing posts or is it a search problem.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12825433
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The change is by design as this new way is how users expect the web to work.

There's a setting in your user profile that allows you to override the new method, which is ok as long as you stay logged in.
  • brucey72
    Cheers for that CiB, I have just changed the setting.