Anyone used Chichester Halfords?

OSOH
OSOH Posts: 153
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi, wondered if anyone has had personal experience of using Halfords in Chichester? I would usually avoid due to their general reputation and negative personal experiences, but this is a store I haven't used before and wondered if anybody had found them decent? I'm torn, on the one hand reluctant to risk it, but on the other hand £20 for a year's servicing/repairs is very tempting, but of course not worth it if they're anything like the stores I've used before. My bike is pretty ancient and does need work at times, hence the appeal of their £20 offer, especially with very little to spare approaching Christmas!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading.
It may seem there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's actually an oncoming train.

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I've been there. They are at least aware of which way round the forks go on, but I haven't actually tried their services (I just popped in to have a quick look at some of the Boardmans and pick up some stuff as I was there). As ever, it'll depend on who you get, but the one guy I did see working on a bike didn't terrify me.
    Having said that, learning to do it yourself is cheaper still, and you'll be more careful than they will. Most bike maintenance is pretty simple.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    OSOH wrote:
    My bike is pretty ancient and does need work at times, hence the appeal of their £20 offer, especially with very little to spare approaching Christmas!.

If your bike is an old bike, then its the perfect platform to learn basic bike maintenance skills that way if you do break anything (which you wont) it wont be costly.
  • OSOH
    OSOH Posts: 153
    I have had a go at odd bits, including changing bearings in the front wheel, but I truly am incompetent, generally just seem to make things worse. Plus I don't have anywhere I can work on things except outside, in the mud, and the cold, and the wet...sob sob, bring on the violins!! Disadvantage of living somewhere tiny.

Reassuring to hear that there were no blatantly obvious issues at Halfords, but hopefully somebody will have had personal experience there...a name of someone to ask for would be even better, though that's probably asking too much! If not I'm really not inclined to take the risk, as the bike may be an old wreck but I am rather attached to it.

Thanks for reading/responding!
    It may seem there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's actually an oncoming train.