Secure Lock & Warm Trousers please!

Scrappaman
Scrappaman Posts: 58
edited December 2011 in Commuting general
Hi all,

Started commuting to work this week and have been able to keep the bike inside for the week. From January I will have to keep my bike outside locked up to a bike rack. I love my bike and don't want it going anywhere so I would very much appreciate any recommendations of very tough, weather resistant bike locks. I would like to keep the spending to under £60 if I can.

My commute is roughly 7 miles each way and I know that I will need some decent warm, cycling specific trousers or tights. I have fleecy bib tights for long rides but I would like something more subtle and practical for the short winter commute. Can anyone please recommend any tights or trousers in the sub-£50 range?

I can look at reviews as much as I like but I know that there is a wealth of experience on this forum and I would really appreciate your thoughts on either trousers or locks!

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Have a read of this: http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html

Spend as much as you can.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    what's wrong with tights on the commute? flappy trousers will never be as warm! just wear trousers over the tights if you feel self conscious (dont feel self conscious btw!)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    wyadvd wrote:
    what's wrong with tights on the commute? flappy trousers will never be as warm! just wear trousers over the tights if you feel self conscious (dont feel self conscious btw!)
    This.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    As above, wear some shorts over your tights if you want pockets or to feel a bit less self-conscious!

As for locks, if you need to carry it with you something like an Abus Granit X plus (or equivalent Kryptonite). You won't see much change (if any) from £60 but there you go. If you can leave it there maybe consider an eff off big chain/padlock but if it's sat out there in all weathers it might get gummed up. Also doesn't help if you need to pop into the shops on the way home.

Lastly, I wouldn't consider any lock to be impregnable. All you can do is try and make it too much hassle, so with that in mind I'd say get the best you can afford and let insurance do the rest.