Skyrim

napoleond
napoleond Posts: 5,992
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
Already down to 23 quid on PS3, 20 on PC...

REALLY tempted now!!

http://www.find-game.co.uk/28147-The-El ... Skyrim.htm

Anyone got it?

Thoughts?

I loved Oblivion.
Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
ABCC Cycling Coach

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Does it still have the horrible glitches, and problems with the save file etc...?
  • napoleond
    Dunno!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • One Man And His Bike
    edited December 2011
    I've had a quick look, seems to be running alright and looks half decent.

EDIT:

Running on a PC, Windows 7 (64 bit), i5 2500k CPU @ 3.30ghz with 8 Gig Ram, Nvidia GeForce GTS 450.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I wouldn't get it on PS3 -> the way the ram is divided means that the game engine struggles when you get bigger save files... making the game unplayable.

and this is a fundamental flaw in the engine so i wouldn't buy it expecting a patch (because there might not be one)... wait for the patch to come out.

The 360 has an undivided pool of ram so doesn't suffer to the same degree apparently.. and the PC is fine.
  • gets a good review but with lots of caveats

http://uk.gamespot.com/the-elder-scroll ... ead-review

I loved oblivion and had it for the pc and ps3, the pc always looked and ran it better, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth and even running sli only falls between minimum and recommended in systems requirement lab so may just get the ps3 version.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Just got it through the letterbox today £22.49 with free delivery from gamestation (xbox), bargain! Not played it yet though still hammering Crysis 2!
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Skyrim is quality, had no problems at all with it running on 360. 60 hours in so far and still a long, long way to go, definitely value for money. May distrupt any training programs (you have been warned!!!)
  • Does it have to be played through Steam ?
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    I have Skyrim on PS3 and it's fantastic! Played it a lot over the weekend and loved how immersive the game is. I've still got the theme music stuck in my head.

My save file is around 5.5mb and I haven't experienced any of the lag associated with the PS3 version so far. I have read that the developers are patching this. Really bad QA from them, but hopefully they'll sort it out.

There are other bugs and glitches that I've learnt are normal for an Elder Scrolls game. Like my horse turns invisible sometimes, so it looks like I'm floating around the countryside with my legs akimbo. There's nothing that spoils the game for me though. I say give it a go!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    I might give it a go. The Elder Scrolls was one of the first PS3 games I got but hardly played it as I got stuck early on, I struggle with that type of game so got into the first person shooters instead. Getting bored of shooters now so might use my Game vouchers for this.
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    I like FPSs too and I alternate between Skyrim and Battlefield3 depending on how much time I've got to spend playing.
    Skyrim's my first proper RPG too. I'd say one of the best things about it is that if you ever get stuck on one particular quest, there are hundreds of other ones that you can do instead. I'm trying to do the main story quests, but I find that I often just walk around for 5 minutes and invariably find some cave or castle or person that has it's own story. There's a ridiculous amount to do in the game!
  • what? you dont have it!? BUY BUY BUY, epic game :D
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • I have the PS3 version and it plays really well, just over 30-35 hours in and no problems, no lag great fun...

Not sure how you can get stuck on this game, if you find a section ball achingly hard go away and level up, grab a companion go back and fling some fire balls :-D

Have to say this game does make me feel like a proper nerd - must not talk about the wood elves, dragons, wizards... :oops:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    See, that's the problem I have playing RPGs - I find it far easier to just shoot my way through things and if I'm having problems just use a few grenades or a bigger gun! I'm starting to get tempted, that said I still have Assasin's Creed 2 from last Christmas which I haven't played at all yet so might waste a few hours playing that first.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Mmmmm, should I stick with it?
    Thought it looked good and was waiting til Christmas but had to take advantage of the £22.49 price!

Only played it for half an hour or so and I'm not sure if it's my cup of tea.
    Dunno...just didn't immediately grab me.
    Think I was put off with the manual when I opened it.

Stick or trade??
  • napoleond
    Ohhhh. I want it NOW but I'm concerned that it may be a chrimbo pressie.

What a great way to do boring level 2 on the turbo. Been playing Black Ops whilst doing lvl1-2 on the turbo and it does pass the time.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Thoughts?
    get a life?
  • napoleond
    15peter20 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Thoughts?
    get a life?

Between the PS3 and the Girls in Lycra Shorts thread I have all the life I want :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    15peter20 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Thoughts?
    get a life?

Between the PS3 and the Girls in Lycra Shorts thread I have all the life I want :)
    fair point. I forgot the winky thing too. :wink:
  • napoleond
    Having all the comments on the web about the PS3 version I'm going to give it a miss. No wonder it's only 22 quid!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    It's won awards, but seems like there're massive problems (which are being worked on !)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16136691
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    My girlfriend said if I stopped talking about the PS3, she'd lick my arse on the plane when we go abroad.

Woo-hoo, Skyrim!

I'll get my coat haha
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • napoleond
    1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif
    ABCC Cycling Coach